IGNORED

Line of Duty (BBC)

Stanley

It was better than the penultimate episode, but it reused too much from previous finales - and not in a good referential way.

Too much of it seemed deliberately sign posted.

Tina standing on the balcony after previously just being in charge of pressing next on powerpoint.
"Where's all the armed police gone" "Cut backs" "lol Alright"
Gill helping Ted and then doing the I'm up to something face.

AC-3's  super team being made up of someone incompetent and someone 'bent' was great as well.

4 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Hide contents

Really disappointing. It's run its course

Spoiler

Seriously underwhelming. The grilling of Ted Hastings went on for bloody ages and frankly didn't feel like it was going anywhere. They tried to reuse Dot's exit strategy thing and that was seriously flat. And towards the end it felt more like it was setting things up for the next one than actually bringing this series to a satisfying conclusion.

This week's episode was going really well, up until the last twenty minutes, when it launched back into the crap-osphere with a rushed ending that was completely out of sync with the very deliberate and gradually-crafted interview scene up until that point. I thought it was pretty unsatisfying.

A few more spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

Why did Hastings really get his laptop professionally erased? Seems like a fairly strong reaction to not wanting to be caught looking at some nuddy pics. Hasn't old Ted heard of Chrome's private windows?

Lise's arc was very messily dealt with - the bit at the end where she's suddenly a secondary school teacher was ridiculous. Throughout the entire series we've been led to believe that she's some sort of undercover copper, or that there's something else going on there, at least, but all of that was just swept under the rug. That's not a red herring; that's just lazy storytelling.

And the Morse code thing was ridiculous.

I'll still watch the next season though, obviously, but this really needs to be the last one.

Spoiler

I called Gill weeks back and it was fairly obv gnger copper was dodgy. 

Morse code is clearly a red herring, sure he did a H but I reckon he would have continued to spell out who H was not 4 people had he lived.

I thought it was ok, no closure of course but got dem new seasons for that!

Can't say I enjoyed that, or the season in general. 

Spoiler

Just fell back on plot devices that have been used in previous series. Reminds me of when record companies would have a band taking their contract elsewhere and so they'd just trot out a lazy Greatest Hits collection, to cash in whilst they still could. 

The smug team leader of AC3 was unbearable. Hope she's not a new regular.

Spoiler

They must think viewers of the show are really thick. The evil look on Gill's face as she walked away after 'helping' Ted, and the telegraphing of the ginger PC's betrayal. Made the last half hour very anticlimactic, especially with the first hour essentially being an expositional recap of what we already knew.

Surely Lisa McQueen wouldn't have kept quiet about the young OCG fella who killed Corbet if she ended up trying to educate youngsters about how to avoid a life of crime.

What a load of AC-Cock. That was Bodyguard terribad. Mercurio has lost his touch, but powered by the BBC’s tireless self-promotion and the tabloid hypemachine people are lapping this shit up and seem to believe it is quality writing. Compared to the other soaps they watch I guess it is.

So expect more of the same old shite.

I think you pretty much have to leave your disbelief at the door when watching this now. It clearly takes place in a parallel universe where every third copper is bent and crime gangs have infiltrated the police for decades so they're calling the shots.

I saw Endgame recently and its internal logic - with space raccoons and time heists - seemed so much more believable and rational.

Get ready for Killing Eve 2 which is bound to be off the scale silly.

even the interview lacked the in-depth jargon and tension, it was just characters going through plot and was actually boring to watch.

Spoiler

And the idea that someone infiltrates the police for years and blows their cover with a botched stabbing they had no chance of getting away with...absurd. Also why is she being left alone with one other officer?

And yeah the endless BBC bigging it up crap is very annoying.

46 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I like how he worked out Dot Cotton was doing worse code from a still image. 

Aparently Jed considered leaving a Dot to Dot drawing in Cotton's pocket forming an image of H. But rejected it on grounds that it lacked verisimilitude.

I thought it was much better than last week's, but it had too much to do to redeem the season as a whole.

I don't think it was bad at all, but when it has consistently hit such high standards, it did feel a bit underwhelming.

The 'H' saga could have done with being sorted out and concluded. Stringing it out like this reeks of running out of ideas.

I'm in for S6 because it's still a good show, just not as good as it was.

Something I've been mulling over:

Spoiler

The ginger WPC, do the OCG put a message out on a WhatsApp group chat of bent coppers asking if anyone is available to take care of someone? I realise they're giving the impression there are people inside and you don't know who is bent but it's just got to the point where if this was really the case they'd bring another force in and do a massive root-and-branch weed-out of any OCG involvement. You had bent coppers helping in raids, bent coppers protecting suspects, bent coppers smuggling evidence out, bent coppers trying to execute people. Now you have a potentially bent copper in training.

Series 4 was good because whilst it had some mild callbacks to the whole "Caddy" story it felt like its own contained thing. Series 6 really needs to try that again. Starting out with the "who is the fourth dot?" line I can't see working.

Of course the really important question they need to answer in series 6:

Spoiler

Does Steve get his sexual mojo back?

I've still to watch the last two episodes (not sure I'll bother) but what was the story with the raid on the police depot that Hastings said the gang would need a "Panzer division" to get into? Looked like it was surrounded by a wire mesh fence, with two guys on the gate, a couple of CCTV cameras from Maplins, and half a dozen folk inside armed only with high-vis vests.