Marvel's 'Ant-Man' - Peyton Reed takes over from Edgar Wright

lordcookie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Images of a Lego set has come out, which may have a spoiler in it.

It's called Final Battle and as well as the hero and villain, has a suited Hank Pym Ant-Man.

Though I think past Marvel movie tie-ins have had stuff not necessarily in the movies?

It's also got a couple of Lego blocks and giant versions of the same blocks made of normal Lego.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps not. I think they're fairly fun personally.

Plus, they probably have nothing to do with the quality of the film and everything to do with the marketing department wanting to piggyback off the Avengers.

Word on the preview glimpse played ahead of Jurassic World (I think?) last week wasn't great. The gags fall flat and ultimately despite clearly trying to be funny, it doesn't work, apparently.

Already low expectations tempered.

With the major characters like Cap having more and more of the ensemble in their "standalone" movies I'm looking forward to things like Ant-Man more than I normally would. Those posters do scream "hey, this is a Marvel movie, honest" though.

• 2 weeks later...

Previews looking positive

“ANT-MAN is a TON of fun! It’s Marvel’s version of Ocean’s 11,” wrote MovieWeb’s Brian Gallagher, citing the “great cast” and “slick score”. Not only is it a great film, but it’s a great caper film specifically.

“Ant Man is great. Way better than Age of Ultron. @edgarwright deserves co-director credit. Feels like his movie.”

John Boone, Entertainment Tonight:

“Ant-Man is hugely entertaining, and a truly significant puzzle piece in the Marvel Universe”, reckons Drew McSweeny from HitFix. “This one’s got a big sweet heart.” As big a deal has been made about this being the Marvel movie people who know nothing about Marvel movies can enjoy, it’s apparently as essential going forward as the Age Of Ultron.

“It takes ANT-MAN a moment to get cranked up, but once it does, it’s sensational. My favorite third-act of any Marvel movie.”

Drew McWeeney, HitFix:

“Ant-Man is more methodical than most Marvel movies but it’s hilarious & a totally great ride. So many fun MCU links too. Another winner.”

Jeremy “Mr. Beaks” Smith, Ain’t It Cool News:

“Ant-Man is fantastic fun with heart, wildly clever set-pieces, and a scene-stealing Michael Peña”

According to reports the film includes both a mid and post-credits scene, and both are worth waiting for. Which are apparently “wonderful” and “each [is] better than the last.”

Guardians Of The Galaxy really emboldened Marvel Studios. Whilst Captain America hasn’t historically translated overseas and Iron Man was previously one of their lesser-known heroes, they at least had some recognition factor. Guardians was a comic even nerds didn’t really know, and it starred a raccoon and talking tree.

In that light, ambivalence about Ant-Man because it sounds a bit silly and he’s not particularly well known seem strange. People who enjoyed Guardians should be further reassured by reports that Ant-Man is “the weirdest Marvel movie yet.” According to John Boone, it might even be weirder than that Star-Lord (who?) flick.

That’s the big theme running through all these early reports on Ant-Man. It’s something different for Marvel, something weirder than anything they’ve done before: it’s funny, it’s human, it’s a heist film, it has a break-out comedic star, it’s nonetheless connected to the rest of the MCU and, in the words of Boone, it’s “good. Like, goooooood.”

Ant-Man may just be my favorite Marvel film since Jon Favreau's Iron Man (well, maybe excluding one film to which I'm partial). Honestly, the movie is a complete blast! I was so happy after seeing it. It's never boring for a second and it's hilarious and warm throughout. It doesn't get caught up in the webbing of its own science-fiction concept like so many movies do these days, remaining simple and elegant. It's a part of the Marvel universe without being ruled by that fact. Paul Rudd is nuanced and charming and funny and is a surprisingly natural fit as a modern superhero (side-fact - Paul must be a nice guy, because he and I dated the same girl in college, and yet I still love him). Michael Peña KILLS IT - this movie is going to make him a huge star. My old pal Judy Greer (she was Deadly Girl to my Minute Man in The Specials (film) many moons ago) is great in a small role. And Michael Douglas is awesome. I think all of Peyton Reed's years directing have led him to making something as deft and nimble and joyous as this; he did an incredible job. And, despite Edgar Wright's parting from Marvel, his spirit is felt through the entire project, and there is no doubt everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude. I left the theater incredibly happy. So often I see movies by people I love which are just okay - it's great to love a movie as much as I love the people who made it.

This is a photo of me and David Dastmalchian at the premiere after-party last night - David plays a Russian hacker in the movie and nearly every single line out of his mouth gets a laugh. He's getting on a plane this morning to fly back to Colombia to resume filming his other movie - my movie, The Belko Experiment.

Congrats to the the whole Ant-Man team. Amazing work, guys! And, for the 99.99% of the people reading this who aren't part of the Ant-Man team, go check it out when it hits theaters (in a lot of places) July 17.

Have a great Tuesday.

James Gunn

Few more reviews have popped up, going from the most intimate Marvel movie (and a great family film) to 'not sure what it wants to be, so ends up being blah'. Certainly more positive ones than negative (Joblo seemed to be the ones in particular who found it blah - not bad, just blah)

However, all the new reviews I've just seen mention the end credits scenes are a must see.