Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - 2014

Guardians was very good. It came out at a period of brilliance for the Marvel Cosmic stories (Started by the Annilhation event).

It lost it's way to towards the end of it's run though as it got swallowed up by crossover events :(

I blasted my way through loads of cosmic stuff on Hexx's recommendation a while ago, and it's all pretty awesome. Start with Annihilation if you're interested.

Anyway, this should be awesome and all but where's Cosmo? :(

I'm a reasonably savvy comic fan, but I've never read any Guardians, is it worth getting excited about? While I thought Green Lantern wasted the opportunity, I do like the idea of some space heroics.

Jon, it's got an Australian* raccoon with a heavy weapons fetish and a talking tree in it taking on super bastards in space. Of course it's worth getting excited about.

* Not actually from Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're generally regarded to be the most "out there" of the Marvel comics.

As much as I want to see this film I'm wondering how it's going to go across with the 'mainstream'. Still, Rocket Racoon :D

Guardians of the Galaxy blends outlandish, pulpy sci fi that features ridiculous characters, but who have human souls. That's kinda what Marvel is about. These characters might have superpowers and gaudy costumes, but they are real people with real personalities and motivations.

Plus I was really skeptical about a Captain America movie and that turned out to be great fun. So I have high hopes for this.

They aren't very similar at all mind.

Nova is the nearest to Green Lantern in terms of how they redefined Nova as being a galactic space police force.

As much as I enjoy Rocket Racoon, OG since the early days when Mignola drew it. I hope he doesn't go the way of Deadpool and oversaturation.

• 4 weeks later...

Marvel seems intent on getting James Gunn, of 'Slither' and 'Super' fame, behind the camera for this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-363928

On another note, the first plot blurb may have come out:

“A U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=65807#IsBTGJF1QT4xoAVp.99

First I'd heard of this chap was when he was working on Lollipop Chainsaw (whose story was suitably bonkers with some pretty good thank you very much dialogie), so IMDB'd him and found he wrote a load of bonkers shit. I loved the Scooby-Doo movie (confession right there), and anyone that wrote for Troma films is ok with me.

If James Gunn does get involved it could be quite something. I loved Slither and Super is, imo, a better "normal man becomes a vigilante superhero" than Kick Ass. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Kick Ass but I could relate more to Frank than I could Dave.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
phelia Lovibond is the latest to sign up to James Gunn's Guardians Of The Galaxy...

Production is starting in the UK in just a month or two on Marvel's biggest gamble in its 'phase two' of movieslb_icon1.png. Whilst sequels to Iron Man, Captain America and Thor are pretty much safe hits, you can't say the same of Guardians Of The Galaxy. And that instantly makes it one of the most intriguing projects that Marvel Studios has yet tackled.

The cast has been slotting into place over the past few weeks, with Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana and Michael Rooker amongst those heading to the UK to shoot the film. And director James Gunn has now added Ophelia Lovibond to his cast. Her role is being kept secret so far though, so that's about all we can tell you.

Guardians Of The Galaxy is set to open on August 1st 2014. More newslb_icon1.png on the film as we hear it.

The Hollywood Reporter.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/25340/guardians-of-the-galaxy-casting-latest#ixzz2RHkkzC5r

• 1 month later...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62655

Today, via Hollywood Reporter, we get news that Doctor Who's recent companion, Karen Gillan, has signed on to James Gunn and Marvel's increasingly more promising GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. This comes on the heels of yesterday's scoop that Glenn Close will be playing the Guardians' superior.

Marvel hasn't released details about who she will be playing, other than that she will be portraying a villain alongside Lee Pace and Michael Rooker. Her Doctor Who pedigree just adds more credibility to this increasingly impressive ensemble, which also includes Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, John C. Reilly, and Dave Bautista (who was my favorite part of The RZA's THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS).

Left to be cast are Groot, the walking tree, and gun-toting Rocket Raccoon. Unless they will be mo-capped and voiced by the same actor, I suspect we won't hear about the actors filling those roles until much further along the production (or, at least, until this August at Disney's D3 expo).