rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Fantastic Four (2015) - AVOID

Writer assigned - From Comingsoon -

So, is assigning a director and writer enough to hold the rights even if the film won't go into production for another year? Obviously, it must be, but it makes you wonder how these contracts are written and what loopholes are available to retain or reclaim them.

This whole area is an unfortunate borderland between the creative side of the movie industry and it's corporate paymasters, resulting in audiences sometimes losing out on what could be better films thanks to balance-sheets and shareholders taking priority over creative freedom.

I wish Fox and Sony would fuck off and let the rights go back to Marvel. I know they never would in 1000 years cause they're too big a cash cow, but it's getting anoying seeing all these reboots just for the sake of not losing the rights.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its starting to make me worry there's a chance of burnout on all these comic book movies.

Some were saying the same thing in 2011 when we had Thor, Captain America and Green Lantern coming out. Didn't affect Avengers kicking everything's arse the following year, mind. I think it's no different from the comics industry itself really; when done well and with a mix of different talent involved, titles can really shine but constant refreshes tend to create a 'meh' attitude to what should be grand events.

I wish Fox and Sony would fuck off and let the rights go back to Marvel. I know they never would in 1000 years cause they're too big a cash cow, but it's getting anoying seeing all these reboots just for the sake of not losing the rights.

I have to admit, I look forward to seeing these comic reboots but only if they are done in a substantially different way. Fantastic Four has great potential as a screen property but the previous movies felt made for TV.

Also, it's just not realistic for all the rights to revert back to Marvel. They are just one studio, there's no way they would be able to produce that many movies. Some kind of joint ownership, if possible, would be ideal.

Cast Announced - must say, Jamie Bell as The Thing is an interesting choice

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115096

Twentieth Century Fox has cast Marvel's First Family! Jamie Bell, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Miles Teller are Josh Trank's The Fantastic Four. The Wrap broke the news, confirming months of rumors surrounding the involvement of Jordan, Mara and Teller and were the first to name Jamie Bell as the studio's choice for Ben Grimm, aka The Thing. Bell seems to be the only one without an official offer on the table, but it is very much expected that he will be confirmed by the studio shortly.

Teller will play Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic), Mara, Sue Storm (The Invisible Woman), Jordan, Johnny Storm (The Human Torch) and Bell (likely through motion-capture), Ben Grimm (The Thing). Previous reports have suggested that Trank's iteration of the story also involves Dr. Victor Von Doom, so expect more casting on The Fantastic Four very soon.

Filming on The Fantastic Four is expected to begin in Baton Rouge this March. Josh Trank will direct the big screen adaptation, which is currently set for release on June 19, 2015​.

It's clearly going to be "based on" the Ultimate versions. Which does make sense, to an extent, but that was a god awful comic. I managed to stick with it for a while due to how good everything else Ultimate was (at the time) but it was properly terrible.

I forgot Mark Millar was the guiding force behind this. Expect the Fantastic Four to get their powers after being raped by a space monster and a scene where Doom gorily kills some babies to prove he's evil.

Marvel can't have X-Mans unless they promise to keep PatStew, Ian McKellan and the tap-dancing Australian.

Other than Patrick Stewart, I'd be happy for the rest to be recast. Was never that big a fan of McKellan's Magneto and i think I'm all Jackman-ed out now when it comes to Wolverine.