rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Fantastic Four (2015) - AVOID

I'll tell you who I feel sorry for. The next people that dare tackle Batman onscreen.

No biggy. It'll be just like when Batman Begins wasn't as good as Batman (89).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm still of the opinion that Blade still has the best Marvel film, only beaten by Nolan's efforts (for American comic book adaptions). The Disney stuff is variable, but only their most recent effort has gotten closest to classic status.

I didn't even know Blade was a Marvel comic until years after watching them. :lol:

The difference being, of course, that there was one half decent sequel and two really crappy Batman movie in between those films.

The difference being, of course, that there was one half decent sequel and two really crappy Batman movie in between those films.

Batman Returns is the best Batman film.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, but Blade has a shitty final battle, Blade II has been made unwatchable by that Harry Knowles review, and Blade III is just wall to wall bullshit.

The one in The Avengers isn't exactly a masterpiece either, went on too long, kinda pointless really for an Alien invasion, not even very epic feeling.

Yes it is. In fact it is better than all the Marvel films bar The Avengers and on a par with IronMan 1. I do understand the sentiment but it is not as if Marvel Studios have delivered classic interpretations of every character so far.

I rephrased it. Whether it's better or not is subjective like it always is (it was 'ok' for me, pretty unremarkable) but as comic to screen translations the Marvel fims are better.

IMO. Whatever.

Also whoever said it (on phone, hard to check) if the worst you can level at them is that most of them are 'only' good... Well, I'll take good over shit.

Anyway, they'll still fuck up Doom.

Basically this is the difference between in-house Marvel films, and all the other Marvel and DC adaptations:

http://ajgaming.tumblr.com/post/27024511384/the-final-word-on-why-marvel-movies-dc-movies

FF never worked, because they were too afraid to have Doom as a crazy castle-dwelling Eurotrash Sadam, and Galactus as a giant man in nasty PJ's with a bin on his head.

The in-house Marvel films work because they embrace the crazy, not try and hide it under the carpet in case the non-geeks don't 'get it'.

• Upvote 6

Both of the R-rated Marvel comics are back with Disney, so that is them dead and buried then :P

The tone of Blade and The Punisher so don't fit in the current Disney/Marvel universe.

Punisher MAX film confirmed!*

*Yes yes, we know Warzone was Punisher MAX but that was a bit rubbish, so we'll ignore it.

(Aimed at jon-cybernet) That musing (in the link, not in your post) is terrible. In what world was Black Widow the most badass member of The Avengers? Because it certainly wasn't the world where I was subjected to Scarlett Johansson's acting. How is Captain America unique for doing something that Raiders Of The Lost Ark did to perfection decades ago? Do people really think Thor was anything other than a passable film? I thought it completely failed to find a balance between the Earth and Asgard sections.

Also whoever said it (on phone, hard to check) if the worst you can level at them is that most of them are 'only' good... Well, I'll take good over shit.

That's not the worst I'd level at them. In fact it's the complete opposite, when performing at their absolute best the Marvel-produced films are merely good (bar The Avengers, but even then I wasn't a huge fan). The worst I'd level at them is despite embracing the source material (as jon_cybernet has suggested) they are all incredibly bland action films with a colourful palette and a nice spot of fancy costume design. All have shoehorned love interests (Iron Man and Captain America just about get away with it) and limp third acts, with perhaps the biggest shame being that despite decades of history to draw from the overrall characterisation is fairly poor, all the protagonists go through stock arcs that we've all seen before.

I feel like I make myself increasingly more unpopular whenever I share my opinions on comic book films.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In fact I can't even be arsed to go and see The Amazing Spider-man. I couldn't give a monkeys about it.

I dunno, I'd take my normal stance of 'wait and see' before writing something off, but given the track record of Fox's films and how good Marvel's films have been I just don't really care.

Before seeing Amazing I would have liked Marvel to have all their characters for sure but after seeing it I'm kinda glad that it will be 'stand alone' as I really enjoyed it and don't think the new franchise would benefit from other heroes cameos or Nick Fury trying to recruit Parker.

However if the 'Spidey in Avengers 2' rumours turn out to be true that that will be awesome too I guess.

Marvel really fucked up with those licensing agreements, didn't they?

Not at all as other posters said above. Marvel didn't have a movie studio daddy at the time (which DC have always had) and setting up Marvel Studios and putting out Iron Man was a very ballsy move which really paid off.

The best bet for a FF film would be a pulpy period piece set in the 60s.

Never going to fucking happen though.

I would love this! I've not watched First Class yet as I hoped it the 60's setting would use a young Scott, Jean etc and was disappointed with the 'prequel' aspect. Should get round to seeing it though.

Word! :D

First Class was an outstanding film until it rushed the conclusion and compressed the Magneto/Professor X fallout into about 10 minutes.

I thought the FF films kind of fitted the franchise - the comics are trashy and pulpy and so were the films - far from great movies but entertaining.

The Marvel moves have generally been between very good and superb though - not keen on the Hulk attempts but Iron Man I and Captain America were great films that captured the subject matter very well, Thor had its moments as did Iron Man II and of course the Avengers is outstanding.

I don't feel the need for all the universe to intersect though - Marvel are just as capable of making mediocre films as Sony

• Upvote 1

Chronicle was great (especially on such a tiny budget).. but I'm not a big FF fan and kinda wish they'd let Trank do something else..

Personally, I'm waiting for Aardman to do a superhero movie.

It'd be bloody awesome to behold.

Mr Fantastic in claymation form would be aces.

I'm not saying that the Marvel films or perfect, or amazing, or anything that people seem to want to read into it, I'm saying they're more cohesive and relevant to the comics than the (for want of a better term) third party Marvel films regardless of the quality of the film.

Punisher MAX film confirmed!*

*Yes yes, we know Warzone was Punisher MAX but that was a bit rubbish, so we'll ignore it.

Punisher Warzone was so damn close to how I wanted to be a Punisher film to be. Ray Stevenson was a fantastic Frank and really took to the role but that damn script was just a bit pish, that and the far too over the top performances from McNulty and Eugene Tooms. I'm still absolutely confused why they don't get Garth Ennis to write a Punisher film script or even just adapt one of his comics into a film. Fucking love his run on Punisher MAX and the dark humour he brought to it. I do have a real soft spot for the character.

Writer assigned - From Comingsoon -

After announcing a few days ago that Chronicle helmer Josh Trank will be taking on Fantastic Four, Fox now has a writer on the project.

According to THR, Jeremy Slater has been brought in to write the script for the family superhero movie. The only unfortunate news about the film is that it will not start production until after The Wolverine and the X-Men: First Class Sequel, meaning it won't start until spring or summer 2013.