Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

The TV stuff doesn't bother me but the customisable backgrounds is ace. The use of achievement pics is brill, some of them are works of art anyway (Lego Hobbit) and it makes me think this was the intention for them in the first place.

The Xbox One OS is so far ahead of the PS4's it's unreal now. It's incredible to think how bare bones it was at the start as well.

I do think the PS4 OS is far more accessible though. I'm getting back into my Xbox One thanks to FH2 (and thanks to Driveclub I suppose) but I'm still struggling to navigate the OS quickly. I suspect you can do more with it, but it just feels really bloated and convoluted. I do really like clean and simple UIs however so it's no surprise that I prefer the PS4s.

Do you have to be a Gold member to join the preview program?

I do think the PS4 OS is far more accessible though. I'm getting back into my Xbox One thanks to FH2 (and thanks to Driveclub I suppose) but I'm still struggling to navigate the OS quickly. I suspect you can do more with it, but it just feels really bloated and convoluted. I do really like clean and simple UIs however so it's no surprise that I prefer the PS4s.

I do agree with your sentiment but once you learn your way around (or just use Kinect) you can see how much more depth the Xbox One's OS has.

My PS4 has slowed to a crawl as well. Scrolling down my friends list results in blanks eventually.

Do you have a Kinect?

I'd also love an invite if there's a cheeky spare going round. Thanks. Gamertag is MatMurray

Also, the Xbox One TV Tuner is out today. I'm kind of excited, as I don't have Sky anymore, and it feels like I'm missing out by not having TV going through the Xbox.

Is the % downloaded number a bit flaky? My master chief colllection installation is jumping all over the place.

Hey, I had exactly the same issue. Would set the download going, it would constantly reset back to 4% (realised putting the console to sleep or playing a game would cause it). The only way around it was to set the download going and just leave the console alone while it downloaded which obvs isn't ideal.

I would really like a preview invite too please :)

Moz XBL is my online handle, don't wear it out.

I can confirm that Chromecast into the back on the Xbox One works a treat, and passes through surround sound as normal once you enable it.

I'd also love an invite if there's a cheeky spare going round. Thanks. Gamertag is MatMurray

Also, the Xbox One TV Tuner is out today. I'm kind of excited, as I don't have Sky anymore, and it feels like I'm missing out by not having TV going through the Xbox.

http://youtu.be/-2CR0_gU-58

I would really like a preview invite too please :)

Moz XBL is my online handle, don't wear it out.

I can confirm that Chromecast into the back on the Xbox One works a treat, and passes through surround sound as normal once you enable it.

Both invited.

Thanks my little sausage! :wub:

Interesting. What sorts of things can you do on Chromecast that can't be done on the XboxOne? Is it more about controlling via phone? I have a chromecast so interested to see if I've missed a trick. :)

Full list here:

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html#marquee-slide-youtube

Hit more and keep hitting "show more".

Big ones: Google Music, Photos, Chrome tab mirroring, Plex without having to pay for plexpass, Allcast etc.

These updates must be designed to make sony look stupid, and microsoft look like a real OS expert company. Seems to be working. Especially pleased with the background wallpaper option, as shallow as that sounds.

If I stuck my Chromecast into the back of my Xbox One, for whatever reason, I expect I'd lose the HDMI-CEC/Regza functionality where it switches the TV on automatically, and changes to the correct input channel? I find it hard to believe that the xbox one doesn't do that (as far as I can see).

Also, I doubt anyone knows the answer to this yet, but what happens if I use an HDMI input AND that new TV tuner dongle? Is there some "switch input" functionality on the dashboard?

FUTHERMORE ... someone pls send me an invite for the beta dashboard stuff, pls prtty pls.

These updates must be designed to make sony look stupid, and microsoft look like a real OS expert company. Seems to be working. Especially pleased with the background wallpaper option, as shallow as that sounds.

Well they've got the monthly process well honed now:

Provide a Suggestions site to see what is most popular,

Recruit a community of beta testers who are willing to potentially mess up their systems with bugs in order to get early access (and who now seem to be being further incentivised to give their feedback),

Send Notifications to the masses through the Major Nelson channel.

I've no idea what the Sony equivalents are.

Invite sent :)

Thanks

Well they've got the monthly process well honed now:

Provide a Suggestions site to see what is most popular,

Recruit a community of beta testers who are willing to potentially mess up their systems with bugs in order to get early access (and who now seem to be being further incentivised to give their feedback),

Send Notifications to the masses through the Major Nelson channel.

I've no idea what the Sony equivalents are.

Stability Updates

Any idea what the rewards the preview points are earning? Have there been any rewards thus far?

Edit: can't watch that video right now so apologies if it's explained there.

No idea - I've got 10 points to date in 7 months apparently which makes me a shitty beta user :lol: Fry has 670 !!!

If I stuck my Chromecast into the back of my Xbox One, for whatever reason, I expect I'd lose the HDMI-CEC/Regza functionality where it switches the TV on automatically, and changes to the correct input channel? I find it hard to believe that the xbox one doesn't do that (as far as I can see).

Also, I doubt anyone knows the answer to this yet, but what happens if I use an HDMI input AND that new TV tuner dongle? Is there some "switch input" functionality on the dashboard?

FUTHERMORE ... someone pls send me an invite for the beta dashboard stuff, pls prtty pls.

1. The Bone has some sort of device control functionality in the power options, might be worth looking in there.

2. Someone on reddit who is testing the device said you can have two devices connected to it at once via the HDMI passthrough and the TV tuner USB, but didn't elaborate on how it worked.

It can definitely switch on the TV and flip the channel.

Gonna order me a tv tuner.

Invite sent.