Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Yeah the XBO dash is taking some getting used too. However liking the features that the XBO has.

Contemplating getting a Kinect at some point to possibly complete the XBO experience however never really used the one I got on the 360. Youngsters enjoyed it though and voice commands were kind of cool when you got used to them....

Another vote for the voice stuff here and its definitely improved over time. Saying that I still use the pad most of the time (old habits and all that).

The one area Kinect is massively lacking is games. Fighter Within is an awful (but fun if you are drunk) game where Kinect barely registers even simple things such as menu navigation. I tried the Sports demo and didn't like it but Dance Central works well as does the bizarre D4 (in fact Kinect is worth getting for this alone). Of course the games thing isn't going to improve following MS's change of heart regarding Kinect earlier this year, I just hope we get more episodes of D4.

Yeah the XBO dash is taking some getting used too. However liking the features that the XBO has.Contemplating getting a Kinect at some point to possibly complete the XBO experience however never really used the one I got on the 360. Youngsters enjoyed it though and voice commands were kind of cool when you got used to them....

It's much more built around voice than the retrofitting of Kinect on the 360.

So I have a question: they made this big thing about how the console was better with kinect, but then released one without kinect and claimed that gave a 20% performance boost. So, if I then go buy a kinect to plug in, will it claw back that 20% gain just so I can say 'Xbox on' occasionally?

Was the kinect built into the actual console previously?

Christ things sure do change quickly in less than a year. This used to be the laughed at console, now every buggers getting one!

In the end its down to games. If you build them they will come. Field of dreams stylee LOL.

I think its also a year of PS4 and no significant AAA games this winter that has done it. That and many Xbox 360 owners drifting back over after realising how long it takes for Sony to sort out decent exclusives and fixing up software updates and a decent online network..... oh and lastly there are some cracking deals around on the kinectless package at the moment.

As predominantly a 360 owner last gen it feels great to be back on the platform and playing some great games this winter and into next year.

Sony on the other hand have lost a lot of my good will and I simply don't believe they will deliver the content and games on time next year and don't want to be left again without any AAA games to play until next winter!!!

So I have a question: they made this big thing about how the console was better with kinect, but then released one without kinect and claimed that gave a 20% performance boost. So, if I then go buy a kinect to plug in, will it claw back that 20% gain just so I can say 'Xbox on' occasionally?

Was the kinect built into the actual console previously?

Having Kinect doesn't adversely impact game performance after the recent tweak.

I can't imagine using my Xbox without kinect. It's brilliant. I use it all the time.

Works great with the TV running through it now and after the wife initially complained about it all she's now barking at the TV to change to itv when xfactor is on. I do most things with voice activation now, from checking my friends list to muting the telly.

Although the camera thing seems a little pointless the voice stuff makes kinect essential in my opinion.

So all re subbed to xbox live and forza horizon 2 currently hammering my broadband.

Xbone is nice, really quiet compared to the ps4 and what I've seen of FH2 it looks fun.

The OS however just feels a convoluted mess - layers upon layers of menus that without a kinect take ages to find anything. I'm sure I will get used to it in time but for now I'm struggling to navigate it quickly.

::looks at his Xbone from the bed in the middle of the night::

"I hate you so much. Stop being bought!"

I have to question why you bought one in the first place if you hate it so much. Why don't you give it to Boozy?

So all re subbed to xbox live and forza horizon 2 currently hammering my broadband.

Xbone is nice, really quiet compared to the ps4 and what I've seen of FH2 it looks fun.

The OS however just feels a convoluted mess - layers upon layers of menus that without a kinect take ages to find anything. I'm sure I will get used to it in time but for now I'm struggling to navigate it quickly.

I've had mine since March and still don't know what the front end is all about. It's a mess.

Glad its not just me with the front end of the XBO! Still at least there is a big box with the last game you played in the middle of screen which gets you back into the action which is fine.

But the rest of it? All the tiles are apps that take a bit to load. Sure I'll figure it all out at some point guess the key is to pin stuff you are interested to the start screen.

Suppose like everything new takes a bit of time.....

Just press the Menu button for settings.

Seems to be context sensitive that depending which tile you have currently selected.

That's what seems to be missing IMHO just a central place to get things you need to do done! LOL.

Everything seems to be all over the place. Was looking the other day for what games are currently free with the games for gold service on the store.... it was fun. Then found a tile on the main dash somewhere that did just that.... :)

It's not as complex as it maybe seems at first. I guess us beta dashers who've had one since launch have evolved with it though and don't see it with fresh eyes. The settings option is always there if you just press start and LB/RB let you scroll across in pages. All your games and apps are always in the same place - Id actually quite like another three or four columns for pins.

Kinect is the way to go though - even now with the double guide button press mimicking the 360 it's so much more intuitive to just ask the machine to snap or unsnap something for you. Once you try it you wouldn't do without it.

Also, smartglass.