Xbox One Console Thread

Another +1 for Kinect. I still use the voice commands a lot. Particularly with the OneGuide/TV integration, and 'Xbox record that', not to mention 'Xbox On' to turn it all on and go straight to tv when I've got dinner in my hands.

Also, D4 genuinely is 'Better With Kinect', although it is about the only game I can genuinely say that about.

Still off for me (on Smartglass), is everyone else having problems still? I wondered if it was something to do with being on the Beta dashboard.

I was still having a few problems this morning and I'm in the beta now. In general the dashboard was being a bit dodgy, including not loading things such as Achievements.

What a fucking saga getting an Xbox One has been for me!

Last week I tried to get one on ShopTo but they wouldn't take my card and couldn't be bothered to reply to my emails for assistance.

So I decided to go to SimplyGames instead when they had a cheap offer, but they decided not to dispatch my order and it just sat there, despite offering next-day delivery.

So I cancelled that and went to Tesco in store as they have an offer of an Xbox and Alien for £330. Bought one, got all the updates, installed my games, only for the hard drive to shred itself in 12 hours. Sigh.

So I take it back, get another brand new Xbox One, come home, install everything all over again... AND THE FUCKING CONTROLLER DOENS'T WORK! Start and Back both do the same thing so I can't use them in game.

Jesus Christ. Now have to post the controller back to MS and buy an replacement controller in the meantime just so I can play with my new toy.

Anyway, I did ask for one of those lovely referral codes ages but didn't any get email or notices unfortunately, so could someone else please try referring me. My Gamertag is El Zilcho. Hopefully I'll get to use it this decade.

Jesus Christ. Now have to post the controller back to MS and buy an replacement controller in the meantime just so I can play with my new toy.

You shouldn't do this. Tesco are the retailer and should provide you with a replacement controller under the Sale of Goods Act. You do not have to deal with MS.

You shouldn't do this. Tesco are the retailer and should provide you with a replacement controller under the Sale of Goods Act. You do not have to deal with MS.

Tesco should, but I'm guessing I'd have to take back the entire console, not just the faulty controller that came with it? I can't be bothered to pack it all up, get a new machine that might not work, etc, the updates alone take hours...

You shouldn't really have to... if you've got the receipt they ought to just swap out the controller, then they've got a complete (faulty) set to send back to MS.

Edit: Too slow, what Doctor Shark said. I'd give the store a call and ask them if you can just bring the controller in.

Stuff I noticed on a quick bootup

Friends now get their own tab (joining the other 3)

The media preview app now reads my Plex server, plays back better than my 360 which seemed to struggle with some Xvid encodes... Will try it out with MKV later to see what it is like and maybe I can join 21st century of watching HD encodes :)

They may need to change the name of the app as well ;)

Try double-tapping the home button ;)

yeah the new snap thing just saw that on major nelson blog as I skimmed thru rest of the features.

I don't tend to use "snap" much at all (can't spare the screen estate on a 32" tv :) )

looks nice though especially the easy quick access to DVR saving last 30 seconds without having to say "Xbox record that"

For me the biggest feature that never gets mentioned is the suspend/resume for games. It is superb I play a game late at night and then next day my son is watching stuff on Amazon Video and youtube etc and I go to play later and hey presto it resumes game exactly where I left off (inc the one time I minimised as car was about to hit tree at full speed in FH2 seems I didn't avoid that crash after all just waited 18 hrs to hit)

Considering Sony boasted about this feature pre-launch and it still isn't there and yet Xbox One has it running perfectly fine but hardly mentions it is odd. They should be shouting this stuff from the rooftops.. the OS won't sell the console but they should at least be mentioning it!

People can argue all they like about the PS4 OS being about simplicity and just whats needed for games etc but discounting all the media stuff and all the Kinect stuff the Xbox One OS is light years ahead. PS4 is the barest of bare bones OS and yet it uses as much memory/resources and doesn't have suspend/resume or the ability to show games in order you want.

• Upvote 1

I'm becoming more tempted by an xbone by the day (generally every time I boot Driveclub and can't get online) - all I want is a fun racing game and FH2 looks to tick all the right boxes. I keep resisting because the missus will kill me if I buy another toy but my will is weak :)