Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

So this tesco deal still works, in store, alien and forza for 305 on the till?

I'm seriously interested in this deal as well if it's still on.

One bit of advice please, I have run out of HDMI connections on my TV so can I run the freeview box hdmi into the One and then the One into the TV hopefully saving a connection? If that will work does the One pass the signal through itself even when it's in standby mode so I don't have to turn it on everytime I want to use the freeview box?

Is there a choice of packs or games that this offer will work on? Thanks for any advice.

Yeah the Tesco offer is dead sadly. Apparently the Forza pack was never really in it either. Not sure how much the pack is for Alien and Evil Within. Think it might still be £350 which is still okay.

I'm gonna wait till I get my vouchers through from work before rushing out and buying. Pretty sure I'll get one though. Couple of questions.

If I have HD Freeview in my TV is there anything I can do to hook that through the One or is it external boxes only?

Do all packs come with 1 months free Xbox Live Gold?

Is the headset in the pack useable?

Sorry for stupid questions but I have paid next to no attention to xbone since jumping on board the PS4 ship at launch. Looking forward to having both.

You could if your TV has an HDMI that outputs the audio and video - that's why mine doesn't have it hooked up I'm waiting for this later in the month :

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Xbox-One-Digital-TV-Tuner/productID.306482200

I don't think you get a month free with the console but a lot of the games have codes in them for anything from 3 days to a week.

Yes the headset is very decent it's not like that abomination they pack-in with the ps4 but you can buy an adaptor so you can use any existing headphones you have that use a regular connection - this one :

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Xbox-One-Stereo-Headset-Adapter/productID.295818100

Yeah the Tesco offer is dead sadly. Apparently the Forza pack was never really in it either. Not sure how much the pack is for Alien and Evil Within. Think it might still be £350 which is still okay.

I'm gonna wait till I get my vouchers through from work before rushing out and buying. Pretty sure I'll get one though. Couple of questions.

If I have HD Freeview in my TV is there anything I can do to hook that through the One or is it external boxes only?

Do all packs come with 1 months free Xbox Live Gold?

Is the headset in the pack useable?

Sorry for stupid questions but I have paid next to no attention to xbone since jumping on board the PS4 ship at launch. Looking forward to having both.

External only. I have a pvr hooked up, but it's annoying me, so I'll be trying the direct adaptor next Friday.

Just say no on turning on your console to paying for live and it gives you a free month.

Yes.

I've got a Bone now, please add me to friends :)

Gamertag: Moz XBL

I thought I'd post a few early impressions, coming at it as a PS4 launch buyer.

The UI and console experience is a bit like controlling the Windows 8 start menu with a controller, and there's a reason why they're getting rid of the Windows 8 start menu! It's quicker and moves between screens faster than the PS4, but it seems a bit higgedly piggedly as it is. I'd say it's about on par with the PS4 albeit with different strengths and weaknesses. Both seem miles from perfect, and I still prefer Steam big picture mode (warts and all) to either of them.

I'm still looking for a few features I'm used to, I genuinely don't know if they exist or not so I'll dig into it and find out. I don't know how to find the last 15 mins of footage, or take a screenshot with a button press. Is there any Facebook/Twitter integration?

Sometimes it feels a bit like being several operating systems deep when I'm running virtual machines at work and connecting from one machine to another to another. It's initially easy to get buried and forget where you are, as there are so many separate screens that seem to run in parallel rather than the PS4 approach of layering the XMB (or whatever it's called now) over the top. Though the snapping and snappiness is a really nice advantage.

It does what you ask of it very quickly and quietly, whereas the PS4 goes "I suppose you want me to suspend this, alright then, watch this bar go up for a bit" when you try to launch an app while another is running. Sony seem intent on telling you everything the console is doing whereas Microsoft want to hide as much as possible. Somewhere in between is probably perfect.

I haven't got the Kinect and I haven't put my TV through the Xbone. I've got a nice AV receiver so I'm not sure if there's any value there for me?

Will be really interesting to see what they both look like a year from now.

To start a recording from a certain spot or to record the last so many minutes of footage you say "xbox record that" or double tap the guide button and push x for last 30 seconds. If you want more you say "xbox snap game dvr" and that brings up all your options. I feel sorry for people buying them without a kinect, it is the way it was meant to be used and boy does it show.

The UI and console experience is a bit like controlling the Windows 8 start menu with a controller, and there's a reason why they're getting rid of the Windows 8 start menu! It's quicker and moves between screens faster than the PS4, but it seems a bit higgedly piggedly as it is. I'd say it's about on par with the PS4 albeit with different strengths and weaknesses. Both seem miles from perfect, and I still prefer Steam big picture mode (warts and all) to either of them.

I'm still looking for a few features I'm used to, I genuinely don't know if they exist or not so I'll dig into it and find out. I don't know how to find the last 15 mins of footage, or take a screenshot with a button press. Is there any Facebook/Twitter integration?

Sometimes it feels a bit like being several operating systems deep when I'm running virtual machines at work and connecting from one machine to another to another. It's initially easy to get buried and forget where you are, as there are so many separate screens that seem to run in parallel rather than the PS4 approach of layering the XMB (or whatever it's called now) over the top. Though the snapping and snappiness is a really nice advantage.

It does what you ask of it very quickly and quietly, whereas the PS4 goes "I suppose you want me to suspend this, alright then, watch this bar go up for a bit" when you try to launch an app while another is running. Sony seem intent on telling you everything the console is doing whereas Microsoft want to hide as much as possible. Somewhere in between is probably perfect.

I haven't got the Kinect and I haven't put my TV through the Xbone. I've got a nice AV receiver so I'm not sure if there's any value there for me?

Added. Mine's gingerism.

To start a recording from a certain spot or to record the last so many minutes of footage you say "xbox record that" or double tap the guide button and push x for last 30 seconds. If you want more you say "xbox snap game dvr" and that brings up all your options. I feel sorry for people buying them without a kinect, it is the way it was meant to be used and boy does it show.

Ah so it doesn't just do rolling footage in the background like the PS4? I did snap the gameDVR thing but it didn't seem like it wanted to do longer chunks of gameplay. It's nice to upload a few minutes to Facebook. Not that it works properly on the PS4 half the time. I don't think I'll get a Kinect unless I can find one really cheap, I just don't see myself using it.

Added. Mine's gingerism.

Cool, will accept after Strictly/Doctor Who :D

Ah so it doesn't just do rolling footage in the background like the PS4? I did snap the gameDVR thing but it didn't seem like it wanted to do longer chunks of gameplay. It's nice to upload a few minutes to Facebook. Not that it works properly on the PS4 half the time. I don't think I'll get a Kinect unless I can find one really cheap, I just don't see myself using it.

:D

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/apps/upload-game-dvr

See above it does rolling record the last 5 mins and it defaults to 30 secs but if you snap the GameDVR then choose record new clip and choose end clip you choose to save upto last 5 mins of gameplay... It's not v intuitive as you might assume record new clip would ONLY record going forwards but it does both

Thanks! :)

Another question. Since I got the Bone hooked up, when my wife is watching TV it keeps switching from the TV signal to the HDMI input. I only have one HDMI device connected to my TV as I use an AV receiver.

The aerial goes straight into the TV, so it's switching from the TVs "TV" mode to HDMI rather than switching HDMI inputs on the receiver itself. Any reason why the Bone would force the TV to switch to the HDMI input?

I might just be going mad.

tumblr_m9ge2rUXFk1qagu6wo1_500.gif

Yes, for bugger all really it's worth a play. My impressions of the UI are coloured by Kinect: I don't really see how it would work without it, whereas I can see how the Ps4 ui works...

I don't beleive you can take a screenshot like on ps4; taking a clip is as simple as xbox record that with Kinect, and it turns up under upload.