Xbox One Console Thread

Watched this:

Larry's guide to using Xbox.

In the video he issues lots of voice commands, I watched via my Xbone and found that Kinect obviously ignores Xbox's own output which explains the lack of other people's game audio when they have the kinect mic on.

Speaking as someone who has had to clean up lots of noisy recordings for work I'm pretty impressed by that - it's also good to get confirmation that someone attempting to issue voice commands to my machine via XBL isn't going to get anywhere.

I just watched that on my phone - which obviously was right in front of my face - when he did "xbox go to killer instinct" I looked up to find the game loading :sealclap: or maybe every xbox one on the planet will always respond to Larry :o

Also did my first 10 minute program on xbox fitness this morning - ouch.

Ha, I have a Teesside accent too and it's pretty much the first time voice-recognition has ever reliably worked for me.

They've put some serious effort in to that speech recognition haven't they! Five minutes till home time now followed by the longest commute home ever! (20 minutes)

They've put some serious effort in to that speech recognition haven't they! Five minutes till home time now followed by the longest commute home ever! (20 minutes)

I've got it set so when I say Xbox on it also switches on my tv. Now that's some future shit right there. Also turns it off.

I remember how fucking psyched we were last gen when we could turn our launch 360s on and off using the wireless controller. And now you can also turn your TV on and off. That's fucking progress. The following gen will also turn on your amp so you've got sound. Roll on 2023!

Why wait? The Xbox One turns on your amp and your tv already.

And despite people constantly taking the piss out of the kinect, it's pretty bloody amazing to walk in from work, walk through the room saying "xbox on", walk back into the room from getting a drink to see all your devices have turned on and as you sit down the xbox pops up a little greeting as it logs you on and then you just unpause Dead Rising and carry on playing from where you left off.

Speaking of the voice recognition, it actually makes a console based web browser the best thing ever. Being able to read headlines on the bbc news page and have the browser navigate there is pretty fucking Star Trek.

And despite people constantly taking the piss out of the kinect, it's pretty bloody amazing to walk in from work, walk through the room saying "xbox on", walk back into the room from getting a drink to see all your devices have turned on and as you sit down the xbox pops up a little greeting as it logs you on and then you just unpause Dead Rising and carry on playing from where you left off.

Speaking of the voice recognition, it actually makes a console based web browser the best thing ever. Being able to read headlines on the bbc news page and have the browser navigate there is pretty fucking Star Trek.

Li shouted 'Xbox on' from the hallway the other day which is a fair way from it. Bugger me if it hadn't booted up when I walked in the room.

Sounds ace! Mine doesn't do that. :(

Seems the Xbox has some issues with Panasonic TV's. It just doesn't turn on through Kinnect at all. Really irritating.

I think it's what Mr Shoemaker meant when on the Bombcast he said that the PS4 was a good current gen console but the Xbox felt like something from the future. I'm watching the United game at the moment with the activity feed snapped to the side, occasionally watching game clips that people have just uploaded or seeing if anyone is playing Battlefield. At which point I will snap TV and watch Battlefield attempt and fail to get into a game repeatedly.

I'm pretty bummed that I bought so many games on disc though, might have to trade them for Xbox credit.

For people who are sharing a library with someone else, you get access to all their DLC and season passes as well. So good now being able take it in turns with my mate to pick up extra content. £40 for Battlefield Premium is a bit of a joke but £20 for all those maps is pretty good.

I also love that anything my mate buys just appears in My Games and Apps as available to install without having to log in as him.

Speaking as someone who decided to side with PS4 this time around, I have to say I'm rather jealous of some of the UI functionality you guys are mentioning. Being able to resume a game from standby sounds properly epic.

Allegedly this is coming to PS4, too.

Whoever thought up that Xbox One bricking trick is a prized twat.

Speaking as someone who decided to side with PS4 this time around, I have to say I'm rather jealous of some of the UI functionality you guys are mentioning. Being able to resume a game from standby sounds properly epic.

The OS has phenomenal potential. The resume function and Kinect voice commands / hand gestures work great. But there are some glaring issues. No visible battery level, party chat weirdness, Skype being unsnapable and the tv input option constantly freezing for some need fixed sharpish. It feels like Microsoft didn't expect to have to launch this year.

They need to fix/remove that bloody awful sharpening filter that's crushing detail in certain games too.

There should be some new videos of Quantum Break, Titanfall and various other new titles tonight at the VGX thing that's going on in the states. It's live via Gametrailers.com and on Xbox 360 and Xbox One at 11PM GMT (not sure if its live via a dashboard link or via something like the twitch app)

I wish the PS4 version of NFS had voice control to direct me to my hideout like the XBone version does.