rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Some positive posts about the machine, yeah! Should be more of this.

Really glad the community sounds good....that's why I wish I had one now, great memories of the 360`s launch community.

• Upvote 1

It's not bull from what I read on this thread, the posts about how much fun people are having are utterly dwarfed by talk of broken drives, tv output, interface gripes, and kinect tuning.

It's an interesting console. All a bit 'Minority Report' with the Kinect 2 stuff that you can do. Kinect requires less space but some of us (me) had to learn to put the device above the tv to get it to work 100%. You can plug your tv box into it but this is not really supported in Europe yet. The OS is blatantly going to get frequently updated for the foreseeable (as is PS4's). Graphically most of the launch games are a substantial upgrade over current gen. The pad is redesigned but remains faithful to its predecessor.

I've had a blast playing with the X1 all weekend. I've been awaiting this gen for so long and it looks promising for both consoles. I think that sums up things.

In other news where is Boozy? And I can confirm my Kinect is still successfully blu tacked to my tv.

• Upvote 1

Oh and special mention to Kinect Fitness. Had my first try today and its fantastic, especially for a freebie. I'll be getting a lot of use out of it after stuffing myself over Christmas.

Absolutely, if the console wasn't £400+ this would genuinely be a killer app for that Wii Fit middle-class casual crowd. As it is I can't really see them marketing it enough to become a success, which is a shame because it's excellent.

I watched the giant bomb quick look of Dead Rising 3 today and it has me totally hyped to play it!

If you enjoyed Case Zero (I ended up preferring it to the full version of DR2), then you'll love DR3. It's the same thing on a huge scale, and the nightmare mode is surprisingly successful adoption of the classic Dead Rising time-management format, if you're one of the people (there's a few of us) who actually liked that about the originals.

Boozy is queuing up outside his bank in hopes of gettng a loan to buy everything in Forza Moneysport.

Bit of a misconception that regarding Forza. From what I've played anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely, if the console wasn't £400+ this would genuinely be a killer app for that Wii Fit middle-class casual crowd. As it is I can't really see them marketing it enough to become a success, which is a shame because it's excellent.

The funny thing is I'm planning on showing my mother in law the video fir Kinect Fitness and I already know she is going to want it. £400 isn't much when you compare it to a years gym membership, and the best thing she won't have to leave the house.

Best launch ever for me. Spoilt for choice with games and impressed with the console.

Same here, I genuinely can't think of a console I've enjoyed as quickly as this. It must go to show as I haven't bothered posting here or anywhere much in the last 3 days.

There's a few niggles but they are greatly outweighed by how slick everything is and the fun I'm having with the launch titles (and 2 of them haven't even arrived yet)

• Upvote 3

Would the Wii Fit crowd really have been interested? They're not buying the Wii U...

Here's my take after a weekend with the machine:

It's quite a learning experience and isn't that intuitive but is ultimately rewarding once you get your head around what you now can do. The UI is nice and simple being divided into three sections pins, you and your last stuff and the store.

They have really delivered with Kinect v.2. It works really well with voice commands (once you learn what to say) and is quick skipping between apps and the home 'desktop'. As I'm not running my TV through the machine my snapping has mostly been the web/forum and I'm not sure how much use this is to me when I can quickly jump back into a game instantly straight after using an app. I like being able to control my TV and amp via voice too.

The 'record this' function is great as is the timeline of your friends events and achievements. Great seeing the clips people have edited and uploaded.

However the only real downer for me with the UI is the friends/chat implementation. With 360 it was just a button press to your friends list and another to invite. Now it's a real pain with the chat/parties being run via the games themselves and not via machine especially when it creates a party in Battlefield when I'm now playing Forza. (sorry Wahwah!). It's just not intuitive at all and Ive not fully got my head around it and why they've ruined one if the strongest parts of the Xbox experience. Notifications when people come online and in games - seemingly gone. Voice messaging too.

The games I've played have been superb especially Forza and Battlefield and the head tracking works really well. Forza is the standout for me and I love the rivals feature and the drip feed of reward that wants you to have one more race.

Overall it does feel like a feature rich experience from the Kinect to smartglass and much more polished than I expected at launch, I just wish they'd not messed around with the social stuff.

• Upvote 4

Silly question but can you use the x1 hands free with the kinnect (like you can with the 360) without using voice commands?

Yes

God that was quite painful. I'm sure it has its uses but it looks some way off being seamless and that's what it needs to be an effective compliment to the UI.

Yeah, it's not 100% especially if you talk a bit too fast for it to work out what's going on (there's a couple of instances where the guy doesn't pause between words) and even sometimes it seems to get the odd word recognition wrong.

Still think that it's an amazing achievement to get what they have so far. Really really hope it gets used in-game a lot more this time round for some novel stuff. I get that it's not going to be to the liking of some people but I quite like the Kinect stuff.

I really don't like how you can't see a 'recent players' list. There are a few people who I wanted to send positive feedback for, and to add to my friends list. I had to try to remember their gamertag, and then add them via smartglass. I don't understand why they'd get rid of some handy functionality from the Xbox 360. The party/friends system seems like a bit of a step in the wrong direction at the moment.

I'm not quite sure what the logic behind it was, but that's probably the only really big flaw that I've noticed with the UI.

• Upvote 2

Has there ever been a more joyless sounding launch?

Come back on Friday

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Another happy punter here. I was ready to be sceptical despite laying down the best part of £500 but I'm very happy with the opening weekend.

- Kinect really is very clever, especially with QR code redemption. Glad to see the back of typing in 25 digit codes.

- Really like the DVR features and the editor is very clever. Nice to see what friends are posting

- Can't believe how quiet the console is, a couple of time I thought it had crashed because it is effectively silent

- Dead Rising 3 has exceeded my expectations, especially with the smartphone/tablet app integration

For balance, a few downers

- cheapskate lack of rechargeable controller battery out of the box

- NFS Rivals doesn't feel very next gen

- download sizes will be prohibitive for us country dwellers with slow broadband (sold my Forza code, unused)

And mainly, what's next? Long wait for Titanfall?

However the only real downer for me with the UI is the friends/chat implementation. With 360 it was just a button press to your friends list and another to invite. Now it's a real pain with the chat/parties being run via the games themselves and not via machine especially when it creates a party in Battlefield when I'm now playing Forza. (sorry Wahwah!). It's just not intuitive at all and Ive not fully got my head around it and why they've ruined one if the strongest parts of the Xbox experience. Notifications when people come online and in games - seemingly gone. Voice messaging too.

What's happening to Xbox?! This is the sort of thing they were best at, by far.

Is this setup at the start or something I have to do myself through the settings.

Just hold a hand up and it'll appear on the screen, and do a sharp 'press' inwards to select something (I was completely over-compensating in pushing in really far at first, which is unneccessary). If you hold two hands up and pull them together it'll minimise to the home screen. For some inexplicable reason I think the only tutorial for any of this was a part of Kinect Sports.

I'll say it again; there's a genuinely good Kinect Voice tutorial as part of the app store, I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't part of the OS setup itself and if anyone's struggling they should grab it. Basically you're able to select anything, on any menu, by using the "Xbox Select" command, and this works for apps like Netflix as well.

Would the Wii Fit crowd really have been interested? They're not buying the Wii U...

I think you've misunderstood a bit, I'm talking about the people that bought Wii Fit in droves and ensured it was sold out for near enough six months straight. Why would they buy a Wii U, isn't it 'just' a gaming console? I'm not aware of any non-gaming applications it has, other than the obvious like Netflix.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's happening to Xbox?! This is the sort of thing they were best at, by far.

I was on my 360 earlier and I was surprised how little interplay there is between users on the Xbone and the 360. On the 360 about all you can do is tell someone is on the Xbone, you can't see what they're playing, can't even look at their achievements and cross-console party chat doesn't exist. I thought this would be something MS pushed in terms if having an Xbox Live ecosystem.

Anyone having issues with SmartGlass not finding their console? Even entering the IP doesn't work. I have a feeling it might be related to the fact the NAT says moderate rather than open? How do I open my NAT? (BT Home Hub)

Anyone having issues with SmartGlass not finding their console? Even entering the IP doesn't work. I have a feeling it might be related to the fact the NAT says moderate rather than open? How do I open my NAT? (BT Home Hub)

Are you using the latest Xbox One version of SmartGlass, rather than the old one? Your NAT shouldn't matter because it no longer connects to your router, it's connecting to a built-in wifi transmitter instead.

?

The PS4 cases all mention resolution and what not whereas on the XB1 cases, no such info is displayed.

It's even more glaring if you look up said images on Google. More than a few PS4 game cases will pop up... XB1 cases, not so much.

Why am I not getting any achievements? I'm doing a lot of Killer Instinct stuff yet I'm not getting achievements for it.

I think you need to buy something for achievements to kick in.

• Upvote 2