rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

I imagine games would change if VR headsets became the norm - action orientated games would become geared towards short bursts of play, episodic storylines, gentler pacing, that kind of thing. The cross over of these kind of devices with tradtional 20hour pus FPS campaigns designed for normal viewing is going to produce some weird results. Probably sickly ones.

I'm really not interested in these VR things either - does it only work for firstperson games?

Considering most games are basically a harrowing series of atrocities, I'm not sure that angling for the holodeck is a good idea.

I can't bloody wait for the Occulus Rift stuff. Every quote/comment you read from ppl who have tried it say it is just incredible.

Recent anecdotal article on Eurogamer that something like 4 in 10 users (including the author) that the author polled experienced severe lasting nausea after only minutes of use. Still aways to go I imagine.

Well if John Carmack's enthusiasm is any guide, new input technologies and VR seem to be areas which show the most promise for big leaps in gaming. His right hand man, Michael Abrash (who has an amazing CV himself) went to Valve to pursue whatever they are trying to cook up in regards to these areas which seem to be where some high profile PC developers see the future to be.

http://www.rockpaper...able-computing/

Microsoft must also agree to an extent, as the leaked documents timeline mentions the Project Fortaleza AR glasses within a few years.

• Upvote 1

I'm really not interested in these VR things either - does it only work for firstperson games?

Considering most games are basically a harrowing series of atrocities, I'm not sure that angling for the holodeck is a good idea.

Nope, it gives you a massive field of view, so it can work for anything. If you actually want to feel like you're 'in' it with head tracking etc, that'll definitely be a first-person only kind of deal.

Of course they won't require 1080p for consumers, they'd be insane if they even made it impossible to hook up to a standard def TV with an RF lead. 1080p will be a development requirement, just like how they required that all games output at at least 720p for the 360.

But that 720p requirement was enforced*

*unless you were a large publisher or Microsoft owned anyway.

1080p native frame buffer can still be downscaled to any output device's display resolution.

A couple of posts shed some light on the possibilities for Backwards Compatibility via emulation on Durango, short answer would suggest don't hold your breath and lower your expectations, one of the answers is from somebody at Microsoft:

Could a single Jaguar core with AVX emulate a single Xenon thread? If you've got 8 cores then you could do one thread per core and possibly emulate the Xbox 360? Or is backwards compatible out of the question without recompiled binaries?
Xenon has a very gimpy memory pipeline, but a lot of registers. This means that code optimized for it tries hard to use as many registers as possible, while minimizing touching any memory, even the cache. A Jaguar core is the exact opposite of this. Only 16 AVX registers per core, but a really, really good memory backend (well, compared to Xenon, anyway icon_razz.gif).

This difference makes any kind of emulation hard. While a single Bobcat/Jaguar core is IMHO much more powerful than a Xenon thread (by somewhere around 3-4x), emulation is totally out of the picture.

Recompilation should be pretty easy, though.

Depends on the workload. Xenon averaged 0.2 IPC for normal workloads, due to in-order and other issues. Comes to a normalised clock of 640MHZ. Jaguar gets up to 0.8 IPC on normal workloads, giving a normalised clock of 1280MHZ. So, assuming a normal workload, as long as every PPC instruction could be emulated in 2 or less x86 instructions, you could theoretically do it.

In practice it's not so easy. Optimised loops, register bank deficiencies, no built in dot-product instruction. I don't think you could emulate a xenon thread with a Jaguar core with any performance guarantee.

And it seems Durango might have gone the DSP route, like Nintendo, but then again, SCE's CTO mentioned something similar, seems everybody is going to the same gentlemens' outfitters these days.

VGleaks have put up what look likes pretty much final Durango specs:

n3lNiby.jpg

CPU:

- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled/

• Upvote 2

That would appear to preclude meaningful backwards compatibility. Unless there's an entire Xbox 360 SoC missing from the diagram, anyway (the one earlier in the thread has that, of course).

Pitchforks at the ready, folks.

What's Wi-Fi Direct and how is it different from Wi-Fi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

TL;DR it allows devices to talk directly to each other without having an access point. No idea why you'd want that on a games console.

What's Wi-Fi Direct and how is it different from Wi-Fi?

Wi-Fi Direct, previously known as Wi-Fi P2P, is a standard that allows Wi-Fi devices to connect to each other without the need for a wireless access point.[2] This allows Wi-Fi Direct devices to directly transfer data between each other with greatly reduced setup

Sounds like the sort of thing portable consoles do for multiplayer already, but for a home console.

Please let these specs be true. Beast like no beast has been beastly before.

They do pretty much fit with what other commentators have mentioned, DigitalFoundry's spec list for Orbis matched most of the rumoured specs posted a few months back too. Both Orbis and Durango share similarities, but at the same time they are not the same, rather like the PS3 and X360, but this time without the massive oddities on the Sony side.

• Upvote 2

Seeing as how all the rumours are starting to align (not surprising if we are indeed mere months away from a reveal), I'd say these specs look pretty credible.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, there are quite a few people in the industry biting their lips and clutching their NDA's right now. :)

I don't think we'll have to wait for E3 for reveals.

• Upvote 3

Seeing as how all the rumours are starting to align (not surprising if we are indeed mere months away from a reveal), I'd say these specs look pretty credible.

Yep.

I wonder what people's best guesses are for a launch price based on that spec?

£399 perhaps?

If it's $500 fully loaded, the UK price with 20% VAT will be around £400 at least, unless Microsoft pursue their strangely generous policy of better than parity pricing for the UK.

How much was the original Xbox at launch? Was it £399 or £299?

£280, or £210 for the core model. PS3 was £425 according to some research I just did. I'd forgotten the disparity was as big as that.