rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Without trying to sound like a dick, I see quite a lot of internal MS documents about their roadmap and where their different devices and services tie together. They're certainly the great imitators of our time, but they know what they want to do with the 360. They might have aped the PS2 largely for the first half of the console lifespan, but they're not stuck for ideas on how to make money with it now. The trouble is, it all involves tie-ins with subs services I don't care about and an ecosystem I don't want to use.The next few years will be extremely interesting for MS, right across all their consumer products.

The leaked presentation from a while back looked quite promising and used a rudimentary version of the in-house presentation branding that all their current documents use (lots of metro stuff and politically correct stock photography!), so I'm really hoping parts of that vision make it to the next console.

If all the next-gen consoles turn out to be a wash, I'll keep on trucking with Steam.

I'm agreeing with you! My initial point was that I imagine they'll follow a similar model to what they did with the 360 for the next console. They know they have to have the hardcore games on board at launch as it's the hardcore crowd who guy and buy the console on launch night for silly money with all the peripherals and full price games. Then a few years in they'll push the family stuff again when the price starts to come down. Unless, by your own statement, you've seen something different planned for the next console, of course, but I'd be very surprised if they deviated from this plan.

Nope I think we're in agreement! I would offer you one of these lovely Haribo I'm scoffing if I could. The only thing I will say is I suspect they'll try to court the hardcore with ubergrafix but also try to court the plebs with some kind of gimmick we don't know about yet. Maybe it's just an expanded Kinect 2 featureset?

Well, if the comments from Remedy are to believed it's quite a leap over current hardware.

I'll get my OC 670 tomorrow though, so I am set no matter what. :)

EDIT: that was in reply to Nap's post.

Cool :) There's a good argument for MS going with a moderate modern spec rather than trying to blow the bloody doors off, and still being able to produce a big leap over current gen. The gap between the 360 innards and an off-the-shelf £300 graphics card is gimongous now, and we'll all be playing on Geforce 760/770/780/790 by the time the console finally hits. I imagine the 720 spec was a lock-in a year ago or so, but even if they have say, a Radeon 6850 equivalent, it'll still kick the arse off the 360 and look brilliant thanks to optimisation and the ease of developing for a target spec. They don't need to take the route of trying to match the raw output of SLI 680s or whichever example you like. I won't be worried when the spec leaks and appears initially underwhelming, which I'm sure will happen.

Ohh I can't wait. New hardware, I want you inside me.

• Upvote 2

Well, if the comments from Remedy are to believed it's quite a leap over current hardware.

Yeah, but "current hardware" is anything but "current". I think that's the point some here are making.

I doubt the 720 will do anything you can't comfortably do on your PC, but we'll see. It's all about the exclusives!

That's actually why I'm more interested in the WiiU. I don't really care about the hardware, I just want to see the games.

The future of gaming:

Oculus Rift

Leap Motion

Whatever crazy controller Valve are working on.

That's the real next gen, ohhh yeahhh.

Imagine playing Amnesia with that setup. Manipulating doors with the leap, having your heartrate monitored by the Valve thing, whilst being 'in' the world with the rift. :o

• Upvote 1

The future of gaming:

Oculus Rift

Leap Motion

Imagine playing Amnesia with that setup. Manipulating doors with the leap, having your heartrate monitored by the Valve thing, whilst being 'in' the world with the rift. :o

Or Half Life 3..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The future of gaming:

Oculus Rift

Leap Motion

Dammit! I'm gonna' have to buy all of those things now. :|

I want my progress in presentation, storytelling, immersion, gameplay mechanics. Controls are fine with me, every 'innovation' since the dual stick controller has been shit IMO. When I play a game on a 360 controller and it's coded well, I don't think about the controller or the controls. I'm interacting with the game on auto-pilot. That's the way I want it to be. For me gaming is not a sport or something requiring maximum skills and precision controlling, I just want to be immersed in a great adventure and interact with it in a way that's challenging enough to be enjoyable and easy enough to not get frustrating. I'll never be a 60/120fps competitive twitch gamer.

• Upvote 3

You can still have that with something new though, as long as it's intuitive and doesn't get in the way of the game. Something like the setup I mentioned earlier would be really immersive without requiring you to relearn anything.

It doesn't help that yes, every 'innovation' since dual sticks has been kind of rubbish. But that's why I'm so excited about the rift, the leap, and whatever Valve are working on. They're not trying to redefine the games we love, they're trying to make them better.

Check this crazy shit out

I don't know why it's labelled oculus rift, it's an old TED talk

Yeah jonny Lee he now works for Microsoft in there development department, had quite a bit to do with the kinect

Yeah, that headtracking stuff was pretty cool. Didn't they put something of that in (the next?) Forza? It's one of the few uses of motion control I actually see the benefit of. After all, who DIDN'T try to physically look around the corners in their favourite FPS game? And with this kind of tech you actually could.

• Upvote 1

You really need to look into TrackIR . We've used it in the flight sim community for years; essentially it tracks head movements and amplifies them in game, so a subtle look means more on screen.

I can't bloody wait for the Occulus Rift stuff. If they can get that to market for < $1000 next year (which they say they can) then I am in. Every quote/comment you read from ppl who have tried it say it is just incredible.

Exciting times... :)

I can't bloody wait for the Occulus Rift stuff. If they can get that to market for < $1000 next year (which they say they can) then I am in. Every quote/comment you read from ppl who have tried it say it is just incredible.

Exciting times... :)

Genuine question: you actually see yourself wearing such a thing on your head, for 10 hours, turning and twisting your neck like crazy in the next Dead Space? Or that's not what it does? :unsure:

Of course you can. It's even demonstrated how it could work in those Wii-controller head tracking Youtube clips linked to earlier.

in those videos the guys head (camera) is moving all over the place! Certainly much more body movement required than flailing your arms about anyway.

Genuine question: you actually see yourself wearing such a thing on your head, for 10 hours, turning and twisting your neck like crazy in the next Dead Space? Or that's not what it does? :unsure:

Genuinely, I am more than willing to give it a go, why not? Just think it would be an amazing step/change/experience. Something genuinely new.

Genuinely, I am more than willing to give it a go, why not? Just think it would be an amazing step/change/experience. Something genuinely new.

Oh, I agree. I'd love to test it out or play a game for a while. But a constant thing? I don't know...

I must admit, though, it looks impressive, especially compared to shitty controllers which "immerse us as never before".

• Upvote 1

The Rift still works with controllers so moving your head will be just for small alterations. You won't be turning all the way around just to look behind you.

The Rift still works with controllers so moving your head will be just for small alterations. You won't be turning all the way around just to look behind you.

That's great, but paying something that kind of money and putting it on your head for so many hours, just for small alterations?

I'm sorry if I sound negative, I'm actually really excited by such new tech, but I just can't see now how it can really "change" the industry as an accessory.