IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

They've come out fighting though, and it's now on Sony to re-enforce their PS4 offering.

I don't think Sony have much to do at the moment, bar announcing a launch date. They announced a great-looking machine at a good price and have basically sold out of them. In short, they didn't fuck it up. MS did this time.

You seem to be missing the fact that MS have walked back almost all of their terrible policies and dubious plans. FIFA comes on top of a lot of shit that people didn't want being abandoned. I think said people have made a rational decision that the console has thusly become more attractive to them.*

Most people don't share in this thing of assigning personalities to major corporations or pledging themselves to vendettas - they're interested in whether the product appeals to them. If a bad decision is reversed then they may consider that rendered null and and void and make decisions based on what's happening now, what the new policy is, rather than sit around talking ominously of never forgetting, as if they were talking about an ancient evil being sealed away for a thousand years as opposed to a consumer electronics company making some bad decisions and then reversing them.

*Crazy crazy thing but not everyone will share your opinions about what constitutes attractiveness

Plus the departure of Mattrick, seemingly the figurehead for many of the dreadful policies announced, a departure that's been swiftly followed by almost universally good news. Admittedly that news is relative to the extreme negativity of before, but still.

They need a list of launch games that competes with Xbox one. They don't have that at the moment.

That's pretty subjective though, isn't it? Bar third party stuff that's coming to all platforms, I don't see a huge amount in it. Who's to say what's going to be good or a half-baked turd? I think surest bets are Forza and Killzone in the decent, if predictable, category, after that, I wouldn't bet on anything, really.

You seem to be missing the fact that MS have walked back almost all of their terrible policies and dubious plans. FIFA comes on top of a lot of shit that people didn't want being abandoned. I think said people have made a rational decision that the console has thusly become more attractive to them.*

Most people don't share in this thing of assigning personalities to major corporations or pledging themselves to vendettas - they're interested in whether the product appeals to them. If a bad decision is reversed then they may consider that rendered null and and void and make decisions based on what's happening now, what the new policy is, rather than sit around talking ominously of never forgetting, as if they were talking about an ancient evil being sealed away for a thousand years as opposed to a consumer electronics company making some bad decisions and then reversing them.

*Crazy crazy thing but not everyone will share your opinions about what constitutes attractiveness

What's to stop them changing their minds again once they've got more people on board? I think it's naive to assume that Microsoft have completely changed their mind about the draconian DRM/always online/sharing stuff. It's still coming and they still want it, they'll just wait a year or two before it starts to appear again. All it takes to disable the DRM is a day one patch. What will it take to re-enable it?

I also like how you claim to be making a rational decision then go off on a rant about an ancient evil being sealed away for a thousand years.

Other than the entirety of the United States launching lawsuits at them, they can't just 'patch in' DRM to disc based games on a whim. They've either been printed with those systems in place or they haven't, and once the cat's out of the bag at launch that's it.

That day-one 'patch' is basically just a download of the currently-incomplete OS.

Other than the entirety of the United States launching lawsuits at them, they can't just 'patch in' DRM to disc based games on a whim. They've either been printed with that in mind or they haven't, and once the cat's out of the bag at launch that's it.

That day-one 'patch' is basically just a download of the currently-incomplete OS.

Nonsense.

"Starting from 01/01/2015, every new Xbone game requires always-on style 24 hourly connection checks. All existing games continue as-is." Job done. I'm not saying this is likely, but they could absolutely start locking it down later.

I'm getting the very strong vibes that some waverers are back in the MS camp, and in general I'm sensing (not from here) that the Xbox One is a contender for the hearts and minds of gamers again, despite the fact that a couple of months back the general consensus was that MS didn't have a fucking clue who the average (or core) gamer was, or what they wanted.

It seems that throwing a free game at them (all be it a high-profile one) is enough to buy back a surprisingly large chunk of goodwill. Nevermind the vitriol MS received for their initial announcements, and the righteous bile and mockery reserved for their panicked 180s on pretty much all of the original pillars of Xbox One. In the end, they went back to strategy one - into their deep, deep pockets. And gamers largely forgot about the last great sin (the mandatory Kinect purchase) and nodded, and reached for the lube.

Say it ain't so. And never forget.

What an odd point of view. If they've changed policies and decisions because they saw people didn't like them, isn't that a good thing?

A hell of a lot of people want this game, so it'll be a saving for a hell of a lot of people.

How many is "a hell of a lot"? I keep saying this, and people keep missing the point: FIFA 13 broke sales records, but it still only sold 14.5 million copies across all eleven (!) formats it shipped for -- compared to about 80 million Xbox 360 consoles. Based on that I find it very hard to imagine more than, say, a fifth or a sixth of Xbone purchasers were going to buy FIFA 14. For those people (and only those people), this pack-in deal represents a full £45 (or whatever it ends up costing) saving. For some proportion of other people, people who wouldn't buy FIFA but might play it a bit, it represents some proportionally less saving. And for everyone else -- and I suspect this group is the outright majority -- it's not a game they care about so this deal doesn't represent any value to them at all.

Yup. And in terms of -- I dunno, whatever semi-bullshit term you want to apply: narrative, or thoughtshare, or vibe -- Microsoft are in a stronger position now than they were 24 hours ago. We've got a confirmed launch title lineup that (to me at least) looks very strong, certainly far stronger than the lacklustre options in the last console generation. And we have a pre-order pack-in game with about the broadest appeal Microsoft could hope for.

And although I'm dubious about how much value that pack-in game holds for most gamers, as I've noted above, it still sends a message -- a message that Microsoft is listening, is tuning its approach, is serious about games and not just TV and whatnot. A message that was sorely missed at the outset, to be sure, but nevertheless a message that is much better coming late than coming never.

I still think (as I wrote above) that it would have been even better for Microsoft to offer "one free game from this list of three or four games", however. I think that's the only way to really offer value to most, as opposed to some, gamers picking up a launch day Xbox One. But of course that's a lot harder to arrange!

What's to stop them changing their minds again once they've got more people on board? I think it's naive to assume that Microsoft have completely changed their mind about the draconian DRM/always online/sharing stuff. It's still coming and they still want it, they'll just wait a year or two before it starts to appear again. All it takes to disable the DRM is a day one patch. What will it take to re-enable it?

I also like how you claim to be making a rational decision then go off on a rant about an ancient evil being sealed away for a thousand years.

If you suspect that then it's a rational decision for you not to buy the product. This isn't about getting people to justify why they don't want to buy it for gods sake, it's explaining why others might have a different opinion.

As for your bold claims that all these features are coming back (I love the 0% of doubt in that statement) can I ask if I can use your crystal ball to find out next week's lottery numbers? Personally I can't see them coming back - they were shown to be fantastically unpopular and MS abandoned them in the face of that. They did u-turns on unpopular decisions, I can't see them doing a u-turn on the very popular decision to get rid of that stuff. No-one is clamouring for DRM or always online and they were get *slaughtered* if they tried to bring them back. The guy who was leading the strategy has left the company, even.

That's what will 'stop them changing their minds once again people on board' - because people will stop being on board. We can all see from MS hasty changes that they have been totally burnt by pursuing their previous strategy. Why would they invite that on themselves again? Everything they've done since the furore started has been to stop it. Everything from now on will be designed to win back the customers and trust they have lost. The Xbox will be a desperate little brand for a few years.

Those policies are done, kaput. I doubt very much we'll be seeing them again.

Nonsense.

"Starting from 01/01/2015, every new Xbone game requires always-on style 24 hourly connection checks. All existing games continue as-is." Job done. I'm not saying this is likely, but they could absolutely start locking it down later.

He was talking about disc-based DRM, making the console sign in every day is obviously something that's possible through the software, not that they'd ever actually do it now because that would be suicide.

Of course they can, they just might disguise it well enough or start doing it on a game by game basis. The PS3 removed Linux support with a firmware update and I don't recall any repercussions.

PS3 Linux support was an entirely software based feature, so that's a completely irrelevant comparison. Microsoft could remove a software feature any day that they want, as could any manufacturer, but they can't with the discs. If those launch without a some sort of DRM system built in either on the image or in the box, then that's it.

Could i focus on the words " If Pre-Ordered "

Is Fifa 14 a proper pack in? or as stated ... just a Pre-Order thing

What happens once the pre orders are done and the Xbox One hits the streets? No Fifa?

There is more to it than that even. The tweet sent out also said 'Whilst stocks last', which if true means there are only a certain amount of these bundled with code pre-order sets.

Yea, I hate being bribed with free stuff.

Also, fucking hell some of you clowns are really fucking desperate to shit on the Bone.

I'm with PC Master Race on this one. There's plenty of horrible things about the Xbone to complain about, when people just shit on every aspect regardless (see the inane headset discussion a while ago) it just makes them look like fanboys and takes away from the legitimacy of discussion of the real problems with the console. I mean bundling games to make your console more enticing is a pretty standard practice, I bought the PS3 Slim that came bundled with a free copy Uncharted 2, oh no I was bribed, I was meant to spend that money on food for orphans instead, the bastards!

All I'm doing is echoing this sentiment - neither of these are negged. My name is Smitty though.

Right, and how do you propose Microsoft would retroactively stop one disc working on several consoles? With a magic patch that can tell one image from another?

Where did I say retroactively? They could simply add and require it of all new games going forwards. And technically, presumably whatever tech was in the disc-pressing and Xbone architecture to enable it in the first place could easily still be there and disabled.

Again, I don't think it's all that likely in the short term (and I'd agree highly unlikely to be done retrospectively) but I'd not be surprised to see DRM rear its head back into the Bone in future. MS have already openly said that they're still committed to their E3-announced plans.

Where did I say retroactively? They could simply add and require it of all new games going forwards. And technically, presumably whatever tech was in the disc-pressing and Xbone architecture to enable it in the first place could easily still be there and disabled.

??? What's with this ongoing idea that Xbox One discs magically know when they're played on one console and not the other via magic disc technology? Ain't nobody got time for that kind of technological hastle. They've always been just standard BD-ROMs, the DRM (was/ is/ will be, delete as paranoia requires) going to be handled by packaged serial keys and an online auth check.

How many is "a hell of a lot"? I keep saying this, and people keep missing the point: FIFA 13 broke sales records, but it still only sold 14.5 million copies across all eleven (!) formats it shipped for -- compared to about 80 million Xbox 360 consoles. Based on that I find it very hard to imagine more than, say, a fifth or a sixth of Xbone purchasers were going to buy FIFA 14. For those people (and only those people), this pack-in deal represents a full £45 (or whatever it ends up costing) saving. For some proportion of other people, people who wouldn't buy FIFA but might play it a bit, it represents some proportionally less saving. And for everyone else -- and I suspect this group is the outright majority -- it's not a game they care about so this deal doesn't represent any value to them at all.

You can't compare software sales to hardware. Some hardware is now unused or broken.

FIFA is one of the biggest selling game series out there. Up there with GTA and COD. In terms of a free give away, it doesn't get much bigger.

I assumed the plan was sort sort of pack-in DLC code/QR-code on the box that you'd scan in with Kinect, which tied the game to your XBL account. Remember the original idea was for discs to be used purely for copying data to the console, they could be thrown away or shared freely. The ownership of the actual 'game' was separate to the disc and tied to each account, allowing you to re-download a disc based purchase.

I don't think Microsoft ever had some sort of disc-ID based system, their original plans don't really corroborate with it.