IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

It's still not a dedicated games machine.

You all know what im getting at!

The same can be said about the PS4, but Sony didn't push it as much. Although the extra features aren't that deep.

From what we know , the Xbox One wins that competition by a nose.

Buy a Gamecube.

I'd fucking love a resurrected more powerful GameCube thank you very much!

No Netflix or Lovefilm adverts! !

You all know what im getting at!

The same can be said about the PS4, but Sony didn't push it as much. Although the extra features aren't that deep.

From what we know , the Xbox One wins that competition by a nose.

confused.com

you want a dedicated machine, but then claim that the xbone is winning a competition to have extra features that are deep?

Describing them in terms of mid-range PCs gives an inaccurate indication of what they're capable of. Remember that PC games are running over a large OS, through unoptimised API's and not optimised for any given hardware setup.

Arguably both next-gen consoles are running over a large OS.

That'll be a Wii U then...?

I went online last night on my 360. Out of the 11 friends online 9 were watching netflix.

The current machines ain't dedicated gaming devices either.

Breaking Bad.

We don't know about the PS4, but the Xbone's hypervisor structure means that's not accurate. The thin game OS has unrestricted access to the hardware (except for the reserved RAM) when it's running full screen. I imagine the PS4 is similar, as the PS3 has a prototype of this structure -- a hypervisor was how the OtherOS feature worked until Sony nuked it.

Even moreso with the hypervisor stuff on the bone. They're essentially two VMs running side by side aren't they?

Edit - Gaywood beat me to the punch

Current 180's:

- DRM

- Always online

- Indie strategy/self publishing

- Headset being included

- Kinect connection mandatory

We're getting there :)

So it's in Xbox 900 territory at the moment then, one more for Xbox 1080 (price?) at which point it might look quite tempting. Plus, that sounds pretty cool.

We don't know about the PS4, but the Xbone's hypervisor structure means that's not accurate. The thin game OS has unrestricted access to the hardware (except for the reserved RAM) when it's running full screen. I imagine the PS4 is similar, as the PS3 has a prototype of this structure -- a hypervisor was how the OtherOS feature worked until Sony nuked it.

Both consoles don't have the option to make full use of all the available hardware resources for gaming (not just segregated RAM), we just happen to know way more about how Microsoft have chosen to divy up their hardware resources, but then again, even the Wii U effectively has to do something similar, no modern console is 100% resource dedicated to gaming.

The PS4 is the same as the X1, both have way better access to the underlying hardware than an equivalent PC running Windows could ever hope to have, they don't suffer from a fat bloaty slow OS for the purposes of gaming.

There should be the option on both new consoles to run a fully featured dashboard with films and Pop videos etc..

or a lite version for people who just want to play games.

It's the first thing im going to look for a workaround on when I get a new console.

Can't you just use it to play games if you don't want to watch Netflix or whatever? Then, for you, it's just for playing games. There's your workaround.

If they did that, they would undo the whole sound financial underpinning of the entire Xbox project, and the mandate is to become self-sufficient, Ballmer ain't writing any more blank cheques for strategic visions and blue sky thinking, time to grow up and get real and run an actual functional business, rather than something started to stop Sony.

Their vision for the One is in tatters.

How can a company whose belief was so total in the kinect-centric interface of a new device suddenly deem it 'not really needed'. Yet still charge a premium for it.

If they had come out of the gate with all this messaging then it would have been cool, but all the backtracking looks weak and reactive.

As with the best of the corporate elite, they crumble with ease if the public ever grow a backbone.

I've never seen Major Nelson before, Microsoft do pick some weird people, he's a total manchild, look at his fingernails! He's clearly got some issues going on there if he's chewing his nails down like that.

We've got him coming out with shit like 'the beautiful kinect' and trying to upsell things, but when the guy is trying to demonstrate all the hard work they've put into the controller(clearly some of the best guys in the Xbox department as it looks awesome, again) he says 'tell us about the button', the tech guy points out that they've put a lot of work into that and how it's made, and rather than Nelson just admitting he didn't realise he just goes 'well, it is just a button' just because it didn't fall under his shitty little 'tell us about the triggers' script.'

I think that not making the Kinect standard really screws up the console and its sense of purpose, the difference between an optional peripheral and standard hardware is huge and regular games would've found useful ways to incorporate it.

At this stage though, the controller is confirmed for working with PC so I couldn't give a shit about the rest, they've been so deluded and disrespectful to their customer base and the moronic thinking is so deeply ingrained that I just don't care if it fails miserably, and that's far worse than just having a bad product, which they don't.

Listening to the latest mini podcast from Major Nelson, it seems there will not be a big marquee press event in Cologne; rather the emphasis will be in getting the journos hands on times with games (which is what they should have done back in June of course). Video snippets will be released through the day (Tuesday).

Getting a bit excited again.

I think that not making the Kinect standard really screws up the console and its sense of purpose, the difference between an optional peripheral and standard hardware is huge and regular games would've found useful ways to incorporate it.

it's still standard (it comes with the console) it's just that if it breaks or you don't want it plugged in you don't have to.