IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

that just leaves price, doesn't it?

As much as the Xbone is expensive compare to the PS4, they can at least point to Kinect for value. The PS3's problem with it's high price was that it wasn't offering value compared to the 360, it just looked much more expensive. Sure it had BD playback, but that is an intangible feature which doesn't look as good as comparing physical items.

The price is still bad but there are enough people out there who will buy it anyway that it may not present an insurmountable challenge once they have some system selling games.

I'm not convinced they will change the price, but if they do it'll surely be announced at Gamescom.

Has a mainstream console ever launched with two controllers in the box since the Super Famicom (did the western Snes launch with two pads?)?

exactly. there's money to be made on peripherals, sure. But think about the implied saving, even at £429

then again, it's a bit "shopping channel", isn't it?

Has a mainstream console ever launched with two controllers in the box since the Super Famicom (did the western Snes launch with two pads?)?

I present to you the Pong console. It included a copy of Pong and two controllers. No DRM, No online requirements, no NSA cam, just hassle free gaming with two controllers.

post-65494-1195955060.jpg

I present to you the Pong console. It included a copy of Pong and two controllers. No DRM, No online requirements, no NSA cam, just hassle free gaming with two controllers.

post-65494-1195955060.jpg

I can only assume you didn't finish reading my post :P That predates the SFC by about 15 years whereas I was talking about since the SFC (which didn't include a psu, an idea Nintendo may have reused since...)

The Bone will have better CPU performance though, given the lower latency access to main memory and the stonking great cache.

Cerny was saying the ram latency isnt really relevant, and i thought the 32mb cache thing was like a patch fix to try and alleviate the ddr3. Im not impressed with either technically mind i must admit, so much for the ps4 being "supercharged pc architecture". Is it hell, its budget pc architecture with super expensive ram.

Cerny was saying the ram latency isnt really relevant, and i thought the 32mb cache thing was like a patch fix to try and alleviate the ddr3. Im not impressed with either technically mind i must admit, so much for the ps4 being "supercharged pc architecture". Is it hell, its budget pc architecture with super expensive ram.

Cerny had his best politician hat on when asked about the latency and skipped around the whole thing while he continued talking about bandwidth. The PS4 CPU has a 20GB pipe to main memory, high latency and little cache to hide that.

I dont remember a gen of systems that (both) felt so underpowered at launch, what are they both thinking?

I think they're fine upgrades- especially as due to the success of the wii approach of skimping out on hardware people were expecting far less of a jump in power. The 360 and PS3 launched with fairly bland (graphics wise) looking games, some looking like PS2 upscale jobs, so I think you're being unfairly harsh when they're not even out of the gate.

You're going to get excellent looking games on both throughout the life of the systems that will be a huge jump up. What were you expecting?

I was expecting them to target 1080p as totally mandatory, not even a sniff of 720p. I thought they'd use better CPU and GPUs, and compete fairly well with top end PCs for the first year or so...which the 360 managed. For them to be on the bleeding edge just for a bit, before the PC took over again as is the natural way. Right now you can get a PC for 500 quid that smashes either of them, even less if youre efficient, self building and own a windows licence. And theyre going for another 8 year cycle apparantly too.

Taking console optimisation into consideration, I think you'd struggle to beat them (the PS4 anyway) for anything less than a 700 pound build right now unless you purchased really low end components (realistically you wouldn't for a gaming PC- because you want reliability for a machine you push and you'd want to use it as a daily PC). The PC experts can verify that but I don't think you'd get anywhere near with 500 without it being overtaken quite soon into the life of the consoles.

Now all they have to do is get a load of uninspiring also ran games and it can be just like the PS4 :hat: .

Gritty visceral 15fps Dead Rising without the things that are good about Dead Rising

A QTE game about a Roman soldier made by Crytek (lol)

A Kinect Sports game

A Kinect music game

A free to play half-arsed Killer Instinct remake. Killer Instinct wasn't actually very good dudes

Lococycle

Modern Warfare with robots which is a source game ergo 10x better to play on PC

Can we just admit that most of the exclusives for both systems probably aren't really worth the cash at launch and then buy them anyway because we like shiny toys? No need to try and justify them to yourselves. Either way we'll have a bunch of multiplatform stuff which will still look better on PC to choose from so it's all good :D

Taking console optimisation into consideration, I think you'd struggle to beat them (the PS4 anyway) for anything less than a 700 pound build right now unless you purchased really low end components (realistically you wouldn't for a gaming PC- because you want reliability for a machine you push). The PC experts can verify that but I don't think you'd get anywhere near with 500 without it being overtaken quite soon into the life of the consoles.

An overclocked non haswell i5, 8gb ddr ram, geforce 680 or something and you'd smash either system out of the park for 500 quid easy. I know you get the console exclusive games, im not saying theyre not going to be good, just talking from about the power here.

Surely after 8 years advancement they could have made 1080p mandatory and specced them up to that purpose.

An overclocked non haswell i5, 8gb ddr ram, geforce 680 or something and you'd smash either system out of the park for 500 quid easy. I know you get the console exclusive games, im not saying theyre not going to be good, just talking from about the power here.

Surely after 8 years advancement they could have made 1080p mandatory and specced them up to that purpose.

I don't know how you would find a system like that for 500. An i3 system with 4GB ram and a 660 excluding OS is around 600 according to the PC building thread. What you're proposing would cost around 800 or so according to that thread.

Piston Honda -- around £600, excluding OS

This has a more powerful video card which will make a decent fist of things at 1920x1080, especially if you overclock it with MSI's Afterburner software. It also has a larger hard drive, nicer case, and modular PSU.

- Intel Core i3 3220

- MSI H77MA-G43 (or Asus P8H77-I for Mini-ITX)

- 4 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM

- Hitachi Deskstar 1TB

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

- Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 420W

- Fractal Design Define Mini (or Fractal Design Node 304 for Mini-ITX)

I don't know how you would find a system like that for 500. An i3 system with 4GB ram and a 660 excluding OS is around 600 according to the PC building thread. What you're proposing would cost around 800 plus according to that thread.

From scan or ebuyer, I5 for about 160, mobo 50, case 25, psu 30, ram 45, hdd 40, gpu 150....recycle your old screen, os, peripherals etc and its perfectly doable.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-wont-actually-need-kinect-plugged-in-microso-1113142909

We already knew that you could turn off the Kinect, but now Microsoft says it doesn't have to be plugged in at all. Speaking to IGN, Microsoft's Marc Whitten shared the news that the Xbox One will indeed work without Kinect.

"That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor," he said.

Asked just how "off" the Kinect can be, Whitten answered totally off.

...Now how about making the console stand up on it's side? Can it do that too?

Oh and Banjo-Threeie