IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

Just a thought, they will be able to totally pull physical games with this, won't they? Like how some download games have been pulled in the past due to expiring rights for stuff in them or whatever. But now they can do it with discs by simply no longer authorising it every day.

Calling it now: a "family" is defined as all 10 (11?) gamer tags that are contributing to a single shared library between them, rather than 10 (11?) shared libraries between the group.

Aha! And any given account can only be a member of one "family" group. Sort of makes sense now... I think?

Calling it now: a "family" is defined as all 10 (11?) gamer tags that are contributing to a single shared library between them, rather than 10 (11?) shared libraries between the group.

That makes tons of sense. It would stop people leaving and moving between libraries to get access to games. It'd be a good way to cut down on what Microsoft would see as abuse of the system.

It's difficult to post about this without resorting to examples using subsets, Venn diagrams and algebra, but it clearly has potential in practice. Countless messages have been exchanged over the years asking me for details of hiw a new game plays. Now you can jump in and see for yourself.

Maybe, rather than having games in common you should aim to have a fairly diverse group of 10 family members, to get the widest exposure to different games.

Maybe, rather than having games in common you should aim to have a fairly diverse group of 10 family members, to get the widest exposure to different games.

They used to say - "You can choose your friends, but not your family". Now MS makes you able to choose your family too! Who can say that isn't progress?

They used to say - "You can choose your friends, but not your family". Now MS makes you able to choose your family too! Who can say that isn't progress?

It's even better that you have to have those friends for a least 30 days, so you know they're are BFF before you give up your login.

I think it's easier to think all games are free. The 0 and 1 of code have no value. I could give my disk to 100 people and they can all install the game. The physical disk could be pirated by another 1000 people, to DL game code from Xbox live and instal it could be free.

The kicker is that there is a code in the box that attaches a licence to my Xbox live account allowing me to play the game. Basically buying a disk is now just a quicker way of getting 0 and 1s onto your hard drive.

So I take the disk round my brothers house and sign in on my account and play the game at his house. I sign on on my account and we play, when I go home the code is still on his machine but the licence is tied to me. The moment I login at home the licence connects back to my home machine.

My bothers has the game installed but when he tries now to play it says he needs a licence and helpfully MS will see him one.

The question I have is logically the next step is the ability to sell my licence key. At the end of the day in this new model all a licence is, is a tick box in a database. With a system like this I could easily see a future with an eBay type interface where I sell my digital game licence inside Xbox live to another Xbox user. The entire transaction takes place within Xbox live, my licence is moved to the purchaser and my access rights to the game turned off. In this model the seller makes money, Xbox live takes a small cut and could even give money to the dev or publisher.

I believe it's also something steam could easily do. Look at my steam list and deactivate my access to some games and sell that access to other stem users.

Basically we just view games as a right to play them. When we buy them it's that right we buy and can sell on. The games themselves become worthless and piracy becomes a non issue. Anyone can instal the game but to play you need an licence or account.

It's even better that you have to have those friends for a least 30 days, so you know they're are BFF before you give up your login.

No, that's the restriction for giving / private selling a games disc.

And you won't give up your login to have others on your list share your games (one at a time). At least that's my take stc.

@soo denim

You don't need to take the disc to your brothers house - just sign in as you and access it from the cloud. Further, if you add your brother's gamer tag to your family members list, he can log on in his name to his bone, and play the game you originallly purchased and installed without purchasing it for himself, provided no-one else from your family members list is at that time playing that game or any other of your games.

I've got a PhD in computer science and ten years working as a software engineer in a complex ecommerce field and I still had to read Microsoft's various statements a dozen times before I felt I understood it (as far as we can; there are still gaps). I don't think I'm dumb, so I think the chances of a Game staffer explaining it to a layman in a minute flat are pretty slim.

For context I just went into GAME and asked for a 3DS AC adapter.

After 30 seconds of confusion I realised what was going on and ask for a charger.

And these are the people who have to explain DRM.

Who the fuck says AC Adaptor? Seriously? You ask for a 3DS charger.

@soo denim

You don't need to take the disc to your brothers house - just sign in as you and access it from the cloud. Further, if you add your brother's gamer tag to your family members list, he can log on in his name to his bone, and play the game you originallly purchased and installed without purchasing it for himself, provided no-one else from your family members list is at that time playing that game or any other of your games.

a 25Gb game, [tommy cooper]just like that[/tommy cooper] from the cloud! Magic!

You can call it what you like, but it's a bloody charger for the 3DS. Calling it an AC Adaptor and then tutting when they have no idea what you're on about before deigning to call it a charger is the action of a pretentious person, in my book.

Always look on the bright side of life!

Or the realistic side... Take your pick.

I concede that 360 games to date have typically been around 6 gig to install, so we are not used to particularly lengthy downloads or installs, so this will likely come as a bit of a shock with the AAA titles in particular. However, I still think, subject to clarification of course, that the concept sharing a pool of games is potentially very interesting, especially in the context of a significantly reduced volume of trading in used games.

It would also have the nasty follow on that the FIA could insist that F1 2012 has to stop working after Dec 31st 2013, rather than just being removed from sale.

I'm exactly the sort of prick who would delight in taking it back to Game for a refund if that happened.

Phil Harrison on the £429 launch price.

"We feel great about the value of Xbox One," he says. "It's a unique architecture, with Kinect and the power of the cloud. What we showed yesterday was the most incredible games lineup in any first few months of a platform launch, many of which are exclusive and all of which have advantages being on Xbox One. That's what's really going to drive value. We couldn't be happier with the price we're starting at."

I thought the cost was a bit salty, but if there's clouds in the box I may have to rethink.

EDIT: The whole interview.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/e3/10115870/E3-2013-Microsofts-Phil-Harrison-defends-Xbox-One-as-worth-the-extra.html

It's painful.

Take the online check-in for the Xbox One, where if your console is offline for more than 24 hours, you will not be able to access your games library. "The advantage is that every time you turn on the machine, it will recognise you and bring your content onto the home screen," says Harrison. "It will bring your choices and recommendations and everything will be updated, you won't have to wait for a content download before you can start enjoying your game. These are tangible steps forward."

True. Though it perhaps doesn't explain the necessity of a call home every 24 hours if it's then going to disable your games. "We do recognise there will be these very rare edge cases where for whatever reason your internet is down," says Harrison. "In my experience internet downtime lasts for seconds or minutes. In those few occasions you don't have access to your usual broadband connection, you could tether your Xbox to your mobile phone. The 24-hour ping takes kilobytes of data."