IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

thats the thing i think that comes across as a massive fuck you the most from microsoft to me personally without understanding all the ins and outs of chipsets etc, i've spent a hell of alot of money on arcade games in the past and if i purchase an xbox "all in one" .. but then "also you need the 360 still if you want to play stuff you've bought already". where am i meant to put it?! i'm not sure if i'd have enough space for this massive new machine to begin with let alone space to have my 360 next to it and if i get rid of it it's like throwing money i spent on all those games away

But it's fine for Sony to do it, because they've said they'll "look into backwards compatability" despite the fact they've got an even greater technical hurdle to overcome and no one sensible believes they'll actually be able to do it.

(I don't care about backwards compatibility, I quite like the **idea** of Kinect, I don't give a toss about TV, I'd prefer not to pay a live sub, 8gb unified memory makes me squeak with the possibilities - even just better caching/shorter loading times - hopefully destiny will fulfil my halo itch on the ps4).

Ah interesting. They obviously had some form of exclusivity contract then.

There you go then. MS spend some big money somewhere to get the equivalent to Gears for this gen. They have that Ryse coming from Crytek so maybe that's something they're banking on.

I'm sure a lot of the comments here (certainly mine) are borne out of a sense of massive disappointment in what MS thinks we want. As an Xbox owner for both iterations so far, this was my expected upgrade, but MS just haven't said anything yet that makes me think "Oooh, 'ello !".

I think the problem with MS at the moment is that overall the corporation can see their traditional markets disappearing, and it's only going to get worse for them as time goes by.

More and more consumers are moving to iOS/Android as their day-to-day computing use is fulfilled by mobile devices, and MS can foresee their consumer OS license fees shrinking more and more in the future. Their attempts to get into those consumer markets have hardly been spectacular (Windows Phone and Surface as examples), and they're also facing business customers looking to reduce costs by moving to competitors like Google for their corporate needs.

MS corporate needs a device that people use as part of their day-to-day lives. When they had the PC OS market sewn up they had that type of thing - now many people don't have an MS product or license. A games console doesn't give them that, it's not a device that you use for everything. Apple talk about how an iPhone is the device people always have with them, the device they use the most. MS want something like that, preferably in every home. The device that you use for TV, internet, movies, music, Skype etc (and maybe even gaming). They also know how profitable marketing data is - they already make a ton from dashboard ads, so harvesting metrics from Kinect about a persons responses to games, music movies and so on could be hugely profitable, especially because they'll know much more about the people actually in the room than they do today.

So what gamers want is only a part of what the Xbox division is concerned with achieving. I expect that the execs who sit above them instructed the Xbox division to create them the Xbox One as a means to remain relevant in consumer markets, as opposed to a highly successful gaming device.

MS don't want you to buy a games console, they want you to buy their lifestyle media consumption device, so that they can continue to have a significant presence in our daily lives, and generate increased revenue from marketing data, advertising, license fees and percentages on purchases through their platform.

So what gamers want is only a part of what the Xbox division is concerned with achieving. I expect that the execs who sit above them instructed the Xbox division to create them the Xbox One as a means to remain relevant in consumers lives, as opposed to a highly successful gaming device.

MS don't want you to buy a games console, they want you to buy their lifestyle media consumption device, so that they can continue to have a significant presence in our daily lives, and generate increased revenue from marketing data, advertising, license fees and percentages on purchases through their platform.

Pretty much:

At the start of the XBox and XBox 360 projects, you had J Allard, Peter Moore, and Robbie Bach setting those features and budgets. Budgets that were considered "strategic" (Meaning losses were irrelevant as long as marketshare was gained). Now you have Mark Whitten, Ben Kilgore and David Treadwell. All good people, but none of them visionaries. Working with a company directive that IEB must now be, and remain, profitable. And _grow_ profit from year to year.

In meetings, I got a similar feel from them as I got from the Kin leadership at times. I'd ask a question and get a handwavey response. "What about the growing trend of data caps?" I'd ask. (Answer: "These are not the droids you're looking for, move along" - paraphrased by me). "What about the large percentage of xbox users who have never connected their XBox to a network?", I asked. Hand wave... (I'm changing the questions from what I actually asked so as not to give info I shouldn't, and the questions were not necessarily related to future platforms - some of them have launched.)

So sure, the engineering guys are going to do their damndest to give you the absolute best they can come up with given their budget and priorities, but those budgets and priorities are not the same as they used to be in the XBox division.

There you go then. MS spend some big money somewhere to get the equivalent to Gears for this gen. They have that Ryse coming from Crytek so maybe that's something they're banking on.

Gears was a new IP. Simms post made it out like we would all be crying because the biggest games (ie known IP's would be exclusive). The dodo!

They don't need to capture the biggest games as exclusives, they'll just carry on their SOP of nabbing the exclusive timed DLC and pumping money into the Xbox One only advertising for that game, retain exclusivity for the fan favourite but commercially marginal titles, like Mirror's Edge 2 (if true). Nobody can afford to throw hundreds of Millions at a single game to compensate for the lost revenue, especially as the sequel will likely go back to being multiplatform, even if they did, waste of money in the long run.

Er, Destiny requires a constant Internet connection on all platforms. It's basically an MMO.

Well quite, poor example of mine there.

I still don't like the practically always online requirement of the console, I wouldn't just be playing Destiny.

I must be living in an alternate reality, as nothing MS have said (that I've seen) so far bothers me. My Internet is 100% stable. I never trade or lend games. I don't care about backwards compatibility. I'm not in the mindset that Kinect is connected up to some master control room.

I'm interested in the all-in-one functionality and I'm looking forwards to seeing what games are coming, so Monday should be fun.

I must be living in an alternate reality, as nothing MS have said (that I've seen) so far bothers me. My Internet is 100% stable. I never trade or lend games. I don't care about backwards compatibility. I'm not in the mindset that Kinect is connected up to some master control room.

I'm interested in the all-in-one functionality and I'm looking forwards to seeing what games are coming, so Monday should be fun.

What about theirs?

Will you always have 100% stable internet? Will you never want to trade or lend games? What if Kinect ends up being way more invasive than you anticipated?

Think about it, because you're exactly the kind of person (gullible, short sighted) MS are targeting.

I guess it will. I've been connected to the Internet for more years than I can remember with various ISPs and I can't remember ever having stability issues. In fact, I'm looking forward to what an always online console will bring.

I won't ever want to trade or lend games, no.

I can't see Kinect being all that invasive, partially because I don't believe half of the nonsense that's been spouted about it and partially because they're going to have to be completely transparent about it at some point before launch due to the backlash since the console reveal.

I'm not gullible or short sighted, so I'd appreciate less insults please. I'm just not affected by anything that's been announced.

Maybe I am the only person left that feels like this, or maybe the majority of people at like me. Who knows? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Will you always have 100% stable internet? Will you never want to trade or lend games? What if Kinect ends up being way more invasive than you anticipated?

Think about it, because you're exactly the kind of person (gullible, short sighted) MS are targeting.

No, but 99% of the time in the last ten years I have (I get disconnects because I have an expensive but shitty router, but not while something is using the Internet - only when there's a break) and when I haven't theres always a 3G dongle. Authentication isn't going to require huge amounts of bandwidth.

Nope. It's either sit on the shelf or gift.

Seems unlikely. The whole Kinect privacy thing is astonishingly overblown for a forum where everyone is running around with smartphones, which are *far* more invasive to your privacy than a camera attached to a games console.

But apparently Im only allowed the one console, so it'll be a PS4.

The reality where you bend over for Microsoft, having already lubed yourself up in advance. Or in other words, this reality.

I'm not that bothered about the BC myself, largely because it was obvious 6 years ago what would happen and there are legitimate reasons why it's not practical. Chances are that anyone who wants BC will already have a 360. Kinect divides opinion, which is understandable. However there is no reality where Microsoft's chosen DRM should be acceptable and it says more about you that you are willing to accept it than about the rest of us.

God forbid people object to having their basic ownership rights taken away from them in order to boost Microsoft's profits. It's bad enough that they've ruined the basic 360 user experience year on year for 6 years. All this tv and DRM shit means they've ruined the experience before it's even started.

Maybe it will be the same approach as with the 360, where they got exclusives on what were entirely new series which turned into big sellers like Mass Effect, Gears, Crackdown and... well that was about it actually.

Saint's Row was 360 only initially wasn't it?

For me it's not just down to DRM/trading/kinect issues with the xbone that's made me feel happy to walk away from what was my main gaming platform.

If i hadn't been subjected to the 6 day cloud save failure downtime during last Christmas I'd have a bit more faith in what Microsoft have lined up online for their next generation. If you add to that the hassle I've had with Microsoft arguing about xbox live purchases not downloading properly and game-breaking bugs like in the FIfa career mode that has left me feeling pretty jaded about my 360.

Instead I won't be renewing my live gold membership which ran out last month and I'll most likely be trading in my 360 and games to either pay towards a PS4 or gaming PC bits and pieces. In hindsight maybe the Anonymous hack was the wake up call that Sony needed as they've not put a step wrong with gaming consumers since.

I won't ever want to trade or lend games, no.

Do you buy games new? For less than £40?

The existence of preowned games for sale, both on the high street and (more crucially) at cheaper prices on eBay and via person-to-person commerce, competes on price with new games. If I can buy a preowned game for £20, why would I choose a £40 new copy? But I might pay £25 for a new copy, for convenience perhaps.

Basic microeconomics says that with the preowned market gone, games will hold at a higher price for longer. There's reduced downward pressure on prices. So whereas a six month old game might typically sell for £25 today, maybe that's £35 on the Xbox One.

So I ask again: do you ever wait to buy a game until the price has come down a bit?

There are wider issues at play here. The knock-on effects of Microsoft's plans will be felt by all gamers, everywhere, in ways we can not foresee.

Why do you never sell games? Because you like to keep a collection? For how long? I'm not overly paranoid about Microsoft turning off the Xbox live servers. But let's not forget it did abandon the PlaysForSure music DRM format, and when it did, everyone lost access to their music (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080422/234401923.shtml). This is the nightmare scenario that has already been dismissed by people in this thread as being alarmist, and Microsoft has already done it once. So how long do you think those Xbox servers will last? 10 years? 20?

For those who don't have an issue with any of this - you might if it turns out Microsoft have messed up royally, the Xbone tanks because the majority aren't happy about these problems and switch to Sony or just don't upgrade for now.

The exclusives dry up, the PS4 (or Wii U 2 or Sega's new console) become this gens must have machine and you can't afford it as your Xbone an games are worth next to nothing.

Now the above won't happen & I suspect the Xbone will do well despite all this negativity, but if they have misread the market then there's going to be some negative impact somewhere down the line.

Do you buy games new? For less than £40?

Basic microeconomics says that with the preowned market gone, games will hold at a higher price for longer. There's reduced downward pressure on prices. So whereas a six month old game might typically sell for £25 today, maybe that's £35 on the Xbox One.

So I ask again: do you ever wait to buy a game until the price has come down a bit?

You think? I'd have thought they were competing with other new games, and with other forms of entertainment - not just themselves. If your argument was all that was true, then PC game prices wouldn't drop at a faster rate than console game prices; and Id be willing to bet that the last of us will remain relatively expensive for a while - second hand or no second hand.

Oh, and Nintendo games new depreciate amazingly slowly. And are available second hand. Which suggests there are other, more important, factors in play.

(I'm sure games will be more expensive in pounds than they were for the end of the last generation - they'll have to be because they won't sell as many copies to a smaller install base, and the pound isn't worth what it was).

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Very kind of MS to allow us to do things we've been able to do for years with existing equipment if we don't check in with them.

But is this practice even legal? Surely it falls foul of the Trade Description Act, you would expect a games console to allow you to play games, or more accurately allow you to play offline games offline!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

Very kind of MS to allow us to do things we've been able to do for years with existing equipment if we don't check in with them.

But is this practice even legal? Surely it falls foul of the Trade Description Act, you would expect a games console to play games!

Didn't you see the launch? It's a TV box, without a tuner. You're superimposing your desire for it to be a games console.

There's been some interesting posts elsewhere as to how the trading licences stuff has to be implemented in Europe to deal with the recent eu court case. I'm wondering how existing digital systems (xbla, PSN, Nintendo's store) are compliant with the quite painful "must allow users to transfer licence and ensure that once transferred its actually been transferred" requirement.

Still amused that a company can fuck over so much goodwill over a couple of years. MS are the epitome of a monolithic bureaucratic entity that is out of touch and unable to respond any quicker than at a glacial pace to events. They have been a master class in inepitude. Who still pays 40 quid a year for live gold, or will do when it expires? I havn't, almost everyone I know hasn't renewed, and judging by this forum and others most people havn't. All gone to sony with free online and some with psplus. Do MS even know it exists along with sonys pro consumer stance as it doesn't look like it.

Why does it need to be 24 hours.

Why not 7 days (not that it makes it much better or any more acceptable).

Mental to think that 24 hours on from launch day - none of your games will work on your shiny new console if your broadband connection has gone down for the week-end - just in case you had installed the games then run back to Game to trade them and then carried on playing the gamed