rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

This is circulating on reddit...

Is all this accurate!?

drm4yjrw.png

Sounds it. Publishers get to decide if games can be resold. I wonder if any will?

Yeah but I think some people here are being deliberately awkward. That post earlier with the Forza list best sums it upWhere as over in the Sony published Drive Club thread the news breaks that it is only 30fps

shut-up-and-take-my-money-23274.jpg

Meanwhile, in the DriveClub thread...

if the game maintains that image quality even at 30fps then i'm in...

Well, that doesn't seem quite like you've portrayed things, but let's check the conversation in the PS4 thread...

Is Driveclub 60fps?

30fps. Fffffuck that.

I can handle 30fps* (would obviously prefer 60) but I want an out- of-car view when I'm racing.

[...]

ojjoQlH.jpg

Well, here's hoping!

I think if they were at least aiming for 60fps they would have said it there, but you never know.

I think it would be pretty tragic and embarrassing for a flagship PS4 title to not be 60fps.

Paging Rushy to the thread. Your fans need fps answers, dude!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well in that case I actually think it's not so bad. It's about time the power was taken away from these used game trade monsters.

Sony are going to do exactly the same.

Haven't they already said you don't have to take the console online if you don't want to?

I have a Wii U too.

So sorry if already posted, really hard to keep up.

This is really important.

You know that government program which was uncovered this week, PRISM? Whereby the US government via the NSA gains virtually direct access to the servers of various tech giants, in order to snoop on user data? Guess who the (alleged) first company to allow access was.

prism-slide-5.jpg

prism-slide-4.jpg

Of course, they're hotly denying it today.

"We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader voluntary national security program to gather customer data we don't participate in it."

I would keep a close eye on this story and think very long and hard about putting an always watching, always listening, always connected "but it doesn't upload anything honest guv" surveillance camera in your living room.

• Upvote 5

An instant message/video calling service, like Skype. You know, that company on the list who started giving access to the NSA one month after Microsoft bought them.

Oh. I never even considered the possibility of second hand hardware. What is that going to be like for the Xbone?

So this will mean no second hand Xbox Ones can come with games surely??

What do people think this will do to second hand console prices?

wtf is PalTalk?

http://www.paltalk.com/

So this will mean no second hand Xbox Ones can come with games surely??

What do people think this will do to second hand console prices?

what second-hand console prices? you're only leasing them from MS... :wink:

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should all just get a Steambox. Who's with me?

If Valve could somehow file off the rough edges around multiple users, as I've discussed at length elsewhere, then it'd have my axe.

I'm pointing out questions to which there's no actual answer, and pointing out how things worked on a different console in a silly hand-wavey manner doesn't, you might be surprised to learn, actually count as an answer.

MS have a mature and working digital software licensing service that operates on the Xbox Live network selling XBLA games and Games on Demand (full price disk based releases). This licensing service has policies for what is a "home console"... how to transfer those software licenses to a different home console (if your console fails or you purchase a different one) and how you (or others) can play these licensed games on other consoles that are not your home console.

You are saying we should not take any of this into account when discussing the online software licensing for Xbox One? And this is despite the fact that a large part of what we are hearing as answers on licensing are incredibly similar to the licensing on 360.

The new system simply allows disks to be installed and treated as a license so you dont need the disk in (not previously possible). This has basically meant that disc purchases now work like XBLA or GOD purchases. Well except they are being more lax and allowing those games to be traded (with restrictions) or gifted (with restrictions).

I wonder if they will allow purely digital purchases to be gifted as well? that would mean that disc based purchasing just got worse and digital purchasing just got a bit better.

Its a poor day for the consumer as 2nd hand sales are being curtailed. MS are obviously drifting down the Steam DRM style route (with some limited 2nd hand stuff). Wailing and moaning wont acheive much, Steam has proved consumers will suck it up. Question is will pricing be fluid on Xbox One instead of the GOD overpricing? I mean it wont be Steam levels of fluid pricing but if it isnt fluid to some degree it'll be dead in the water.

• Upvote 2

How is Xbox LIVE going to be a success if it has to ban every one of it's users for either :

1 Taking drugs

2. Homophobic Remarks

3. Racially Offensive Remarks

4. Excessive Swearing

5. Rage meltdowns & verbal abuse

6. Bomb-making

7. Holding meetings for terrorism purposes

8. child abuse

9. having a wank on skype

Once the wee man at the other end sees them doing it via the kinect camera. Surely all of the above would violate the terms of service agreement that they do enjoy banning people for breaking. What happens if you break the TOS agreement and get banned, are you automatically completely unable to use the device anymore ?

Thousands of Forza players have been banned for hacking the game, drawing dicks on cars and spoiling multiplayer games. Is the next gen really going to be heavily policed online. Is that even possible. Will any Scottish person be immediately banned from LIVE once they open their mouths in front of the EYE ?

If Valve could somehow file off the rough edges around multiple users, as I've discussed at length elsewhere, then it'd have my axe.

AXE SMASH!

Axe.png

2 people get this joke.

This. I think people are deliberately acting daft and looking for negatives. Fair enough the drm policies may effect some more than others but don't believe for a second that other consoles won't follow suit.

Wii-U doesn't. Vita doesn't. 3DS doesn't. We don't know about PS4 but every noise out of Sony has so far indicated no.

And so far virtually every remotely credible rumour about either console has turned out to be true.

Sony could do it but that only makes both consoles unattractive, it doesn't do anything for the bone.

• Upvote 1

Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.

Am I right in thinking this means that what you can or can't trade in could vary from retailer to retailer? So we could have a situation where, say, you can only trade in Ubisoft games at CEX, and only trade in EA games (I know, I know - fat chance) at Game?

Our unique modern architecture brings simplicity to the living room

Oh, Microsoft, you jokers, you.

The thing is, if MS had been brave and gone digital only, none of this would be an issue.

I think that would have been unlikely for various reasons at the moment - download speeds still aren't good enough for a large proportion of users, plus you'd have a box intended as an all-in-one media/games solution that can't play the physical media you already own.

@cappucino kid

Yes, that's correct. But all the publishers (except maybe THQ) won't allow you to trade in games at all. Or at best they'll dictate the prices.

They should have just manned up and gone digital only, one game per account, no lends, no resells. They're trying to serve two masters and pretend they're not compromised here.

You know that government program which was uncovered this week, PRISM? Whereby the US government via the NSA gains virtually direct access to the servers of various tech giants, in order to snoop on user data? Guess who the (alleged) first company to allow access was.

Of course, they're hotly denying it today.

I would keep a close eye on this story and think very long and hard about putting an always watching, always listening, always connected "but it doesn't upload anything honest guv" surveillance camera in your living room.

Oh come on! As Team X-Bone say that's all tin hat stuff. Besides they won't do that to you unless you opt in. Nothing to worry about.

(Of course opting in will be hidden on page 27 of a 96 page long EULA that you will have to click AGREE on to run the game you've just bought. It's still user 'choice'. Click agree or don't play the game you just installed onto your system. "Choice" at work.)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

MS have a mature and working digital software licensing service that operates on the Xbox Live network selling XBLA games and Games on Demand (full price disk based releases). This licensing service has policies for what is a "home console"... how to transfer those software licenses to a different home console (if your console fails or you purchase a different one) and how you (or others) can play these licensed games on other consoles that are not your home console.

You are saying we should not take any of this into account when discussing the online software licensing for Xbox One?

No, I am (obviously) not saying we shouldn't take that into account. I am saying, very clearly, that there are questions to which we don't have answers. "Let's assume for no reason that things will work just like they did on the Xbox 360" is not an answer. There have very clearly been really big changes from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One - so why wouldn't this aspect change too? If you can't flatly assure me that it'll work like it does on Xbox 360 (and you cannot), then the questions do not have confirmed answers, which is all that I am saying.

The trading-in thing is obviously a clusterfuck of horrific proportions.

But the sharing seems to be alright since there is an obvious workaround. The "family sharing" thing is going to be the new "setting up a US Gamertag" next gen. Although it's a bit of a faff, friends will link their accounts to other friends, pretending to be family so they can share each other's libraries. In that sense, the way that borrowing/lending games will work isn't actually so bad. I doubt that anyone presently lends their games to more than a few people.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Could we also see publishers limiting what you can trade their games in against? So for example you can only trade FIFA in if you're buying another EA game.

Read the title of Eurogamer's new editorial on second hand. Holy hell.

This sort of system could've worked, if they'd sold it in such a way that it didn't seem like a massive tragedy, but they have completely failed to anticipate how people might read it. They half-assed the reveal of a system that would inevitably be controversial and it has blown up in their face.

Why the fuck is a Major Nelson blog post their first significant on-the-record report about this, if not because they're staggeringly incompetent?