IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

How did it all go so wrong in such a short space of time? I mean, things last gen had pretty much evened out, so going into this new gen it was anyone's game. Then in the space of a month, MS have all but handed victory to Sony. What an odd turn of events.

Yes, I do wonder how much the average punter is even aware of an Xbox backlash? The mass market MS are hoping for are almost certainly clueless.

No one held out any hope for Wii when it was announced and it then wiped the floor with MS and Sony. Can't really see that happening with this ginormous oddity, but you never know.

The paranoia aspect should be worrying MS the most. If it's one thing many Americans are it's paranoid. All this talk of always on mics, cameras and data-mining could prove terminal.

Even if MS do manage to turn everything around in their favour, the last week or so since the Bone's announcement has been pure comedy gold.

Yes, I do wonder how much the average punter is even aware of an Xbox backlash? The mass market MS are hoping for are almost certainly clueless.

No one held out any hope for Wii when it was announced and it then wiped the floor with MS and Sony. Can't really see that happening with this ginormous oddity, but you never know.

The paranoia aspect should be worrying MS the most. If it's one thing many Americans are it's paranoid. All this talk of always on mics, cameras and data-mining could prove terminal.

Even if MS do manage to turn everything around in their favour, the last week or so since the Bone's announcement has been pure comedy gold.

Are these the same Americans who record themselves watching TV en masse?

I think the only way MS can turn around all this hate online is undercutting the PS4 by at least $100. I don't see that happening.

Confidence turns to arrogance, every time. We only get a good console from a humble company, as soon as any of them taste success...they see it as a green light to force all of their other stupid shit onto customers. Theyre all guilty, for the past 20 years and beyond, Nintendo, Sega, MS, Sony....theyre all the same. The PS4 will be brilliant and get it all right...then some executive idiot will decide that they're back on top..the cycle repeats forever.

I have to agree - my friend works for Xbox Europe and was supremely confident (whilst not spilling any beans) just after the PS4 reveal, and said they weren't worried at all about what Sony had shown. I'm hoping this is because she knew what was coming at E3, rather than what happened a couple of weeks ago. But it did remind me about when I was working at Boeing in the 90s and they didn't perceive Airbus as a threat at all, and ended up standing still while Airbus stole all their business.

Are these the same Americans who record themselves watching TV en masse?

Yes, just like our phones track where we are and Facebook know what tens of millions of people are doing at any given moment and everything about them from their political affiliations, address, phone number and sexual history.

It's a matter of perception though. The Bone's already got lots of paranoid rumours floating around it before it's been released. The thing about iPhones and Facebooks is that people are so busy utilising their functions they tend not to give a bugger. Would've been different perhaps if there'd been an outcry of paranoia about them before they became established.

Can't yet see that the Bone will offer anything like the usefulness of anything like that either.

"DRM has lots of advantages!"

Microsoft has promised that its controversial DRM proposals have "a lot of advantages" for gamers.

Phil Spencer, Microsoft Studios' corporate vice president, has said that there is still a place for the secondary market in the next generation of consoles.

The company has announced that Xbox One users will have their games assigned to their own console, with an extra fee to register pre-owned games.

"I think the whole idea of a secondary market is important and it'll be important in the next generation, and we've designed with that in mind from the beginning," he told Edge magazine.

"We think there are a lot of advantages of having your content assigned to you digitally - we did that on 360 with cloud-saved games - and we want to do that with content. "We understand there are implications... just know that we recognise the importance of that market and we've designed with it in mind from the beginning." Microsoft has said that it has not finalised the policies for Xbox One.

So no U-turn on that at E3 from the look of it.

The advantages that I've experienced.

-Purchased game doesn't work.

-Purchased game runs sometimes.

-Purchased game stops working never to work again.

Big advantage to the publishers? I'll actually buy their games. And lets have a look at my recent record with piracy.

PC-Pirate games owned=0

360-Pirate games owned=0

Wii-Pirate games owned=0

DS-Pirate games owned=0

GBA-Pirate games owned=1 (inadvertantely bought a counterfeit cart of a game not released in Oz)

Gamecube-Pirate games owned=0

PS2-Pirate games owned=0

N64-Pirate games owned=0

PSOne-Pirate games owned=0

Before I got back into gaming via the PSOne I was about to give up gaming. My primary platform was the Amiga and I was getting sick and tired of dealing with crappy codewheels and manual checks and paying for the pleasure of doing so when pirates seemed to be getting the better product. And the Megadrive and SNES were way too expensive.

But then the PSOne came along. And despite most of the platforms above being easy to pirate I was never tempted. It was a good deal. Buy disc. Play disc. No issues. (And with Steam I got a much better hit rate with my purchases in terms of stability verses what I was buying in the shops.)

Intrusive DRM will put me off gaming. I don't need to deal with it to read a book, watch a show or listen to music.

edit for the tl:dr crowd tssk gets up on his high horse and plays broken record. Again. Didn't need to circumvent drm to do so.

Edited by tssk

There's an odd psychological effect when you play pirated games, I had a chipped Xbox back in the day and played a bunch of quality games, but felt nothing for them. I got at best 2 hours into the game then deleted it, like it wasn't worth anything to me simply because I didn't play it.

Nope, its true.

They admitted to selling it for more because of the great reaction. They didn't say by how much, so it's a bit daft to claim that they just added £100 to the price, especially when they said they were making a loss after the price cut.

So no U-turn on that at E3 from the look of it.

They need to shut up about this for a bit. Different Microsoft executive's clumsy attempts to spin all this stuff (with sometimes contradicting info) is just keeping these negative issues in the spotlight.

Unless they are sound a u-turn on anything then none of it should be mentioned at E3 - just games, games, games.

They'll probably spend most of the E3 presentation showing why DRM is great, Kinnect is great, the 360 is great and you should keep it & why a fast, reliable Internet connection is great.

Just so the MDF are aware, you've all said "creating a narrative" enough times now.

It's not being MDF to point out that some people are posting inaccuracies to help bring the story of how the see the platform together. Which is exactly what's happening in this thread, it's similar to the SonyLOL from the start of last gen but with giant privacy invading corporations instead of enemy crabs.

Well thank goodness for that.

The Microsoft person giving that interview needs to organise their thoughts before talking. Saying "it will run at 60fps" and not stating the resolution, then going straight in to trade-offs that will need to be made and are available to developers, makes the statement really ambiguous.

Well thank goodness for that.

The Microsoft person giving that interview needs to organise their thoughts before talking. Saying "it will run at 60fps" and not stating the resolution, then going straight in to trade-offs that will need to be made and are available to developers, makes the statement really ambiguous.

I think that's irrelevant. You've seen that one in two webcams can be hacked poster?

Kinect's camera is neither always on nor always transmitting back to the mothership nor going to be easily hacked through someone installing a virus on the machine - but every sentence is now being parsed for ambiguity, and every sentence "interpreted" by a journalist parsed some more, then deliberately taken in the worst possible light,

It's like giant enemy crabs but a bit worse.

I think that's irrelevant. You've seen that one in two webcams can be hacked poster?

Kinect's camera is neither always on nor always transmitting back to the mothership nor going to be easily hacked through someone installing a virus on the machine - but every sentence is now being parsed for ambiguity, and every sentence "interpreted" by a journalist parsed some more, then deliberately taken in the worst possible light,

It's like giant enemy crabs but a bit worse.

worst-case-scenario doomsayers? nothing wrong with that, sometimes they're right...

(see also: the drones thread)

To be clear, this isn't a narrative which started with the Xbone announcement. Rumours of this sort of tech circulated and fermented for months beforehand, and by performing the event as though this was the first time we heard about any of it, by not addressing the issues the tech raised in people's imaginations, they gave those suspicions traction.

It's bad PR. I'll bet the Xbone design team aren't happy with how it has been sold.

It's not being MDF to point out that some people are posting inaccuracies to help bring the story of how the see the platform together. Which is exactly what's happening in this thread, it's similar to the SonyLOL from the start of last gen but with giant privacy invading corporations instead of enemy crabs.

Everything is a narrative, especially with consumer products. The key here is that a lot of the people criticising the Bone have different things to say, whereas the MDF are either screaming "wait till e3" with their fingers in their ears or repeating this narrative shit, while Boozy seems to have resorted to just posting gifs and links. If you've got a problem with other people be a grownup and describe it yourself, don't just repeat other people. That type of thinking with the herd is why people feel the need to vociferously attack or defend a games console they've never used.

Crazy buttocks on a train, the confirmed industry insider on Neogaf, had this to say about the ESRAM:

ucan remo.ve RUMUR frmo hte thread tittle TEAMMOD. esram yieldls. are "troubling"toput it lightly.

truthfact.

btw youiw lil not njhear abouthing about tech atMS E3 presentation. tech tarbaby (notracistst!) IS TSTICKIER THAN YOU WIL EVER KNOW. I LOOK FORWARF TO READING THE BOOK BY VENTUREBEAT.

theyMSrushed. --caughtoutbysonychangs. leadershitfailure.p.

You know, we can talk about how MS dropped a bollock and how Sony are going to clean up until the hens come home. The important thing isn't the edram or the secondhand games. The important thing is the price.

The notion there are tens of millions of people just waiting to throw cash at a next gen console is bogus.

So it's quite ridiculous to say Sony will win because of these dramas. If both machines are over £400. £300 even then they're both fucked.

Crazy buttocks on a train, the confirmed industry insider on Neogaf, had this to say about the ESRAM:

Well, when he puts it like that it's obviously true.

You know, we can talk about how MS dropped a bollock and how Sony are going to clean up until the hens come home. The important thing isn't the edram or the secondhand games. The important thing is the price.

This is why I think they'll be very close in price. Eventually, either Microsoft or Sony will blink, and be the first to name a price. The other company will match it, I think. I can't see Sony repeating the debacle with the PS3's high price point.

It's possible Microsoft has more stomach for subsidising a console that Sony does, depending on how much the hardware division can borrow money from the parent firm. If that happens, and Sony names a price first, Microsoft could undercut. Sony could change the price, of course. However my understanding from a few other rumours was that with this third console the hardware division at MS was expected to stand alone.

It's an interesting game of chicken, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.