Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

God that was a depressing watch.. I must be seriously out of touch if that's what the "future" has in store.

Really does seen like they are forcing solutions to problems that really don't exist... and I'm simply staggered that Kinnect still forms such an integral part of it all! :(

How will they persuade the likes of Tivo & Sky to let MS become the front end for their boxes? Unless the functionality is incredibly basic (like the original Tivo) and is nothing more than channel switching.

Hard to see how it'll work. Will the XBOX ONE record shows or will it somehow persuade the Sky Box to do it?

I dont think the box records anything itself.

I didn't say anything about getting excited about it. Did you read the post where I talked about my personal tastes or others personal tastes? Down the line we might find it's actually a pretty good service was my point.

Thanks for negging my posts people. It's really encouraging and it makes one remember that this is a popularity contest rather than an open discussion.

You're doing that thing that the Iraqi guy at the airport did. You love your Xbox, that's great, but this fucking thing looked shit - as you agree. Might tunr out to be fine. Might be even worse. But yeah, it looked shit so people are saying it looked shit. You really are the Scottcr of MS but without the childlike moronanity.

I didn't say anything about getting excited about it. Did you read the post where I talked about my personal tastes or others personal tastes? Down the line we might find it's actually a pretty good service was my point.

Thanks for negging my posts people. It's really encouraging and it makes one remember that this is a popularity contest rather than an open discussion.

I'm not sure what discussion you can have about this. I mean this is a games forum right, in a thread about games, in the games folder...

Well you see where I'm going with that.

So - if you lose connection you can still play games, watch blue rays, etc - suggests that perhaps you have to connect in the 1st instance to start doing these things (or it's badly worded).

And who cares about achievements transferring if it's not possible to play any of those games anymore to get other achievements.

I know it was a shit show but the hysterical hyperbole still really grates. Where's the analysis? Seems to me Comrade is one of the few people providing it.

It's all very well pretending that the TV stuff is pointless shite because you've already decided it is (Pickford et al) but hell people said MS were stupid to be pushing HD when the 360 came out. THINGS CHANGE. The consumption of media evolves. Right now I have very little interest in this next gen of TV consumption, but i'm not so stupid as to dismiss it out of hand. In fact I see a hell of a lot of commercial potential and interest in it.

I've been consistent on that since it was hinted at, and it matters little what my *personal* interest is - I think there's a very good chance that sort of thing represents the next phase of TV. Microsoft wouldn't be persuing it so stridently it they and their partners didn't think it had great potential.

What we're seeing here is a lot of people declaring it's shit because they either don't care or they are being massive presumptious or they have no imagination. The history of successes is littered with people saying 'LOL fuck that shit' - Apple's ipod was laughed at! Why are you making an MP3 player everyone said. Their share price fell.

Again, it was a very poor show from the point of view of a gamer and potential buyer (me, you etc) but it would be nice to see some reasoned thoughts about it beyond 'FUCK M$'. Most of us agree it was shit and disappointing, but when that's all you've got to say it gets pretty one note.

It's all fucking bollocks though, innit? Let's not forget that at the advent of the digital era -- no consoles involved -- that the BBC and Sky were hell bent on pushing "interactivity" this and "red button" that, changing the camera angles in games of footy, and what happened? Nobody could give a shit, and it was eventually mostly dropped altogether, or replaced by optional clips on the internet that didn't flash in your face every minute of the way.

Oh, the Xbox One (that fucking name) let's you look at a big interactive guide, and you can watch TV in its current form that's hastily dying on its arse as American companies scramble to ban (instead of integrating or considering) alternatives like picking and watching shows at your own leisure, instead of all the other baggage that nobody wants to trawl through. Meanwhile, the Halo TV series appeared to be their answer to Netflix's exclusives in House of Cards or all-new Arrested Development, and that's not just really fucking sad, but it's confusing to the partners who they're supposedly courting -- are they making their own D/L service in trying to resurrect Heroes (lol) to compete with Netflix or what?

The interactive thing is old hat, and it's not remotely comparable to a stylish MP3 player like Apple's, but now it's not just them they're trying to imitate (the tablet debacle), it's everyone else too.

t's all very well pretending that the TV stuff is pointless shite because you've already decided it is (Pickford et al) but hell people said MS were stupid to be pushing HD when the 360 came out. THINGS CHANGE. The consumption of media evolves. Right now I have very little interest in this next gen of TV consumption, but i'm not so stupid as to dismiss it out of hand. In fact I see a hell of a lot of commercial potential and interest in it.

Were the majority bemoaning them deciding to go HD though? Really? Might be rose tinting, but I find it hard to believe it was more than a few dissenting voices. I can't even think of an argument against them going to HD at that time to be honest (not like it was HD only, after all).

As for the "things change" comment in relation to the TV stuff, the point there is that things already have changed. The consumption of media has already evolved and this doesn't appear to offer much we don't already have, if anything. I don't know about the US but in the UK Sky+ is slightly popular and Youview is getting a massive push, which has all the EPG, PVR and catchup functionality covered, as do many current TVs. Does that not make the TV addition (nice as I think it is, functionality wise and inteface-wise) somewhat redundant for many of us? I like the idea that it could replace my Humax box and WDTV Live, but can it? If it doesn't have PVR capability it is unfortunately largely pointless from that point of view.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-microsoft-reveals-next-xbox-one

This article has a picture of the back, you can see the 'hdmi in' and and 'ir out', the latter is presumably to control STBs.

It's interesting to speculate about how the One might control a SKY+ box, there are already apps that let you programme Sky + online. Maybe that is the way to go rather than an IR sensor? Or maybe it has to use both.

Apparently the Tivo box sas an open API for this kind of thing. I bet Sky Plus doesn't.

From what i can work out it will simply just pull the video feed from the box via hdmi and layer over the xbox stuff. Youll have full access to the box i would guess a bit like what tvii does in the usa on the gamepad where it links into your dvr in a kind of way. It isnt the full blown dvr thing that we all thought it was going to be before the presser.

Let s wait until E3 before we call it DOA regarding games. I hate the fact 360 games are not transferable though.

At least the rllmuk tv and film folders will get a boost in posts later this year, maybe ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-microsoft-reveals-next-xbox-one

This article has a picture of the back, you can see the 'hdmi in' and and 'ir out', the latter is presumably to control STBs.

It's interesting to speculate about how the One might control a SKY+ box, there are already apps that let you programme Sky + online. Maybe that is the way to go rather than an IR sensor? Or maybe it has to use both.

Good lord, what with all the IR from the box, the wireless controllers and whatever the hell Kinect is pumping out your living room is going to be like the microwave corridor in MGS4!