Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

16 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Replaced the tac switch tonight and slightly to my surprise it works! I had to shave the bumper paddle down slightly as, despite being a "like for like" replacement part apparently, without modification the bumper was permanently pressing it on. Scalpel and sand paper applied and now there is about the same movement as on the other side and the controller testing app is showing everything as nominal. Happy with that. 

Can you tell me what the type of screwdriver is called to open the controller? I have one that’s the same shape, but these screws have a security “bump” in the middle so my screwdriver doesn’t fit.

6 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Can you tell me what the type of screwdriver is called to open the controller? I have one that’s the same shape, but these screws have a security “bump” in the middle so my screwdriver doesn’t fit.

You need a torx T8 security driver, e.g.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durable-Screwdriver-Security-Controller-Wireless/dp/B07GKL3F11/ref=pd_lpo_107_t_1/261-2901268-9592253?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07GKL3F11&pd_rd_r=6f79ae3f-e96a-449d-93a4-cf2faad0cf23&pd_rd_w=0yKsR&pd_rd_wg=ISyvd&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=HD0707HNAG2H2AJPBN60&psc=1&refRID=HD0707HNAG2H2AJPBN60

That’s cool, it’s a Bluetooth controller so I assume it’s the 1708 model, which is the T9 head. Maybe the T8 will fit, if not I’ll order a T9 and keep the T8 for potentially fixing other electrical devices around the house! Dyson, Apple and Sony seem to use them...

In the past, it has been decided that Sony customer service was shit and Microsoft's was great on things like refunds.

My experience is to say that Microsoft's is utter shite. I pre-ordered tenet uhd back in November, come release day on 14/12 my purchase is still showing you have pre-ordered and will be available to watch at 00:00.

Wait all day and still can't see, but the extended trailer as a pre-order bonus (whoop!) is now a 1 hr 26 minute making of which I can watch, but no film.

So direct message Xbox support in Twitter, no response. After 2 days try phoning Microsoft , person answering says can't help and to either phone back after 3:00 or use the contact us on Xbox support website.

Their is no option on the Xbox support website for a film won't run. Go through other options like game or app won't do I and it says phone call or chat is not available, to contact other Xbox gamers on the community forum.

Try Twitter again, no response. So put in a refund request. (The film is showing as available to purchase as a different store entry on the Microsoft store) receive a reply to say no refund as because I pre-ordered it, is beyond their 14 day terms. Email back to say it only came out 3 days ago and no response.

So have tried their virtual assistance and realised I'd you keep saying hasn't fixed its incorrect replys it gives you an option for a call back

First person is some lazy ass shrugged american. Asks to let him speak to refunds and then disconnects. Doesn't phone back.

So go through virtual assistant again, request call back. Second person phoned back, needs to speak to someone - on hold then get disconnected. They do phone back, say they still need to look into, on hold for another 30 minutes and then disconnects.

Have had no further call back since.

Complete utter fuckwits.

Most "customer services" are absolute garbage these days. Not making and excuse for MS.

Used to get my energy supplies from British Gas. I may have paid perhaps a slight premium  but I didn't mind because I could pick up a phone and know I could talk to a human to get things resolved quickly when I needed too. Upto 8pm on a weekday night too.

When I had a query recently I got a chatbot.. then a person who kept saying no problem my query is dealt with and all is sorted out. No it wasn't. Three times this happened. 3+ hours of my life wasted. The phone lines were only open in office hours too. 

So went from great customer experience to bad in the last 3 years or so. Thought what is the point of paying a premium to get the same customer service as a cheaper supplier that is mainly internet based. Which is fine because my expectation is set because it does use chatbots and emails etc.

I know its been an odd year this one though so guessing many places might be struggling a bit with customer service I guess. The British Gas issue I've had for a year or two though so finally took some action. They couldn't even get my name right despite mentioning it on numerous calls. :D Mind you I guess I could have declined to pay the bill as my name was incorrect on it..... Anyhow not sure if anything will get better. I expect we'll all be talking to AI chatbots or something in a few years... which actually given the quality of the CS staff maybe a good thing!!! :D 

• 3 months later...

Is there anything I can do if I’ve purchased something on the Xbox store through my phone but it’s not showing up on my account? I bought two games, one is there fine but the other hasn’t gone through, though obviously they’ve fucking charged me for both and they’re both in my purchase history. 

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Is there anything I can do if I’ve purchased something on the Xbox store through my phone but it’s not showing up on my account? I bought two games, one is there fine but the other hasn’t gone through, though obviously they’ve fucking charged me for both and they’re both in my purchase history. 

Get in touch with them, I've found their customer service pretty good.

you might find the amount for the second game doesn't come off fully after 10 days or so as it hasn't been cobfirmed.

10 hours ago, Broker said:

I've had something like this happen. For me at least, going to the game's page in the store on the console showed the game as being owned and had the option to download. 

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Get in touch with them, I've found their customer service pretty good.

you might find the amount for the second game doesn't come off fully after 10 days or so as it hasn't been cobfirmed.

Yeah they were alright once I got through to live chat, though it was a slow process. Apparently it will be added some time in the next five days

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever replaced the internal hard drive on an xbox one s with an SSD?  And is there any point?

My 2nd kid has one connected to my work monitor and its used primarily for fortnite, roblox & minecraft with an occasional dip into Forza 4 or the latest gamepass kids.

The Forza 5 trailer has got the kids excited.  Fine for the older one who plays on my X but I can see the pains of the younger come November.

So I was thinking I could chuck a £50 SSD in there to at least help. 

But then again, just save the cash and put it towards a series S which might hit the £150 mark 2nd hand later in the year? or maybe even an Xmas pressie..

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Or trade it in at Game for an S?

Sadly opened it a few weeks ago to clean the fans as it was ticking a bit.  It breaks the seal and would be rejected. 

17 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Or trade it in at Game for an S?

I think that offer ended yesterday, sadly.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the internal drive in an Xbox One. You could add an SSD via USB and set the machine to install everything to that by default, instead. But a Series S would be a much more effective upgrade - as long as you don't need a disc drive, of course.

4 hours ago, fattakin said:

Not in there, but you could connect one and use it as the default storage. When you plugin a drive and format it, it asks how you want to use it. But for the money it may be diminishing returns, as noted.

4 hours ago, fattakin said:

Has anyone ever replaced the internal hard drive on an xbox one s with an SSD?  And is there any point?

My 2nd kid has one connected to my work monitor and its used primarily for fortnite, roblox & minecraft with an occasional dip into Forza 4 or the latest gamepass kids.

The Forza 5 trailer has got the kids excited.  Fine for the older one who plays on my X but I can see the pains of the younger come November.

But then again, just save the cash and put it towards a series S which might hit the £150 mark 2nd hand later in the year? or maybe even an Xmas pressie..

There's no point in doing this, an SSD as external storage would help slightly but the CPU is still the weak point. 

Save the £50 from the SSD, sell the Xbox One S on FB/eBay/etc. for £100, spend an additional £50 for a secondhand Xbox SS (there are some for sale on this forum) or £100 for a brand new one. 

No other option makes sense, unless you really really really need a disc drive. 

38 minutes ago, AlexM said:

There's no point in doing this, an SSD as external storage would help slightly but the CPU is still the weak point. 

Save the £50 from the SSD, sell the Xbox One S on FB/eBay/etc. for £100, spend an additional £50 for a secondhand Xbox SS (there are some for sale on this forum) or £100 for a brand new one. 

No other option makes sense, unless you really really really need a disc drive. 

Dont need a disk drive at all, the only disk game we own is lego dimensions which we play on the Series X.

I remembered I had an old SSD in the garage that I thought was faulty, connected it to the X and it formatted OK so followed a tutorial to backup the original HD onto a SSD and put it in the S at lunchtime (im on a virtual training course which is pretty boring so I could do this on the side)

It feels generally the same in the dashboard but fortnite loads much faster, no texture pop in and playable enough (not as buttery smooth as my X OFC)

So I'll leave it at that and use saving for a series S before forza 5 as something we can do together, with his pocket money and summer chores :)

Shame I broke the teeny tiny power button on the motherboard when taking the shell off the other day, but no Biggy can be powered on by controller!

@MikeBeaver Are those 3 tiny buttons on the S replaceable? they are so small i can barely see if they are soldered or glued?  If glued i could forced the Disk eject one off and put on on the power? 

3 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Dont need a disk drive at all, the only disk game we own is lego dimensions which we play on the Series X.

I remembered I had an old SSD in the garage that I thought was faulty, connected it to the X and it formatted OK so followed a tutorial to backup the original HD onto a SSD and put it in the S at lunchtime (im on a virtual training course which is pretty boring so I could do this on the side)

It feels generally the same in the dashboard but fortnite loads much faster, no texture pop in and playable enough (not as buttery smooth as my X OFC)

So I'll leave it at that and use saving for a series S before forza 5 as something we can do together, with his pocket money and summer chores :)

Shame I broke the teeny tiny power button on the motherboard when taking the shell off the other day, but no Biggy can be powered on by controller!

@MikeBeaver Are those 3 tiny buttons on the S replaceable? they are so small i can barely see if they are soldered or glued?  If glued i could forced the Disk eject one off and put on on the power? 

I've not had an S apart, but I imagine they will be soldered, could rob one from elsewhere to replace it with if you're handy with an iron :)

Or , just have a couple of trailing leads coming from the board to outside, with a massive external push switch 😛