IGNORED

Xbox One Console Thread

mushashi

38 minutes ago, AlexM said:

There's no point in doing this, an SSD as external storage would help slightly but the CPU is still the weak point. 

Save the £50 from the SSD, sell the Xbox One S on FB/eBay/etc. for £100, spend an additional £50 for a secondhand Xbox SS (there are some for sale on this forum) or £100 for a brand new one. 

No other option makes sense, unless you really really really need a disc drive. 

Dont need a disk drive at all, the only disk game we own is lego dimensions which we play on the Series X.

I remembered I had an old SSD in the garage that I thought was faulty, connected it to the X and it formatted OK so followed a tutorial to backup the original HD onto a SSD and put it in the S at lunchtime (im on a virtual training course which is pretty boring so I could do this on the side)

It feels generally the same in the dashboard but fortnite loads much faster, no texture pop in and playable enough (not as buttery smooth as my X OFC)

So I'll leave it at that and use saving for a series S before forza 5 as something we can do together, with his pocket money and summer chores :)

Shame I broke the teeny tiny power button on the motherboard when taking the shell off the other day, but no Biggy can be powered on by controller!

@MikeBeaver Are those 3 tiny buttons on the S replaceable? they are so small i can barely see if they are soldered or glued?  If glued i could forced the Disk eject one off and put on on the power? 

3 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Dont need a disk drive at all, the only disk game we own is lego dimensions which we play on the Series X.

I remembered I had an old SSD in the garage that I thought was faulty, connected it to the X and it formatted OK so followed a tutorial to backup the original HD onto a SSD and put it in the S at lunchtime (im on a virtual training course which is pretty boring so I could do this on the side)

It feels generally the same in the dashboard but fortnite loads much faster, no texture pop in and playable enough (not as buttery smooth as my X OFC)

So I'll leave it at that and use saving for a series S before forza 5 as something we can do together, with his pocket money and summer chores :)

Shame I broke the teeny tiny power button on the motherboard when taking the shell off the other day, but no Biggy can be powered on by controller!

@MikeBeaver Are those 3 tiny buttons on the S replaceable? they are so small i can barely see if they are soldered or glued?  If glued i could forced the Disk eject one off and put on on the power? 

I've not had an S apart, but I imagine they will be soldered, could rob one from elsewhere to replace it with if you're handy with an iron :)

Or , just have a couple of trailing leads coming from the board to outside, with a massive external push switch 😛

• 8 months later...

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE

My Xbox One X has developed a tendency to cancel downloads I've set going for no reason at all. Does anyone know what that's about? I set something going, it's downloading, I turn it off. Then when I come back to it later it's just cancelled it.

12 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Doesn't it only download games (not update) in standby not energy?

Shouldn't cancel it though. It might not continue downloading while it's in energy-saver mode but it should at least carry on where it left off the next time you turn the box on.

My Series X occasionally throws a wobbly about specific downloads. I was trying to install Witcher 2 and it would cancel itself every time at 73%, no reason that I could see. Plenty of storage space etc. In the end I deleted the partially-completed download, rebooted the box and it worked fine. No idea what that was about.

• 4 months later...