Xbox One Console Thread

19 hours ago, christaylor said:

It's supposed to be a very good pad but all standard Xbox controllers have USB so if you don't need the extra functionality you'll essentially be paying an extra £110 for some chargeable batteries... 

Indeed. Regular pad with a play and charge kit perhaps? Play and charge kits are excellent from my experience had one back on the 360 and then when I got a XBO.

2 hours ago, Revival said:

How do you work that one out? They've got multiple studios in different parts of the world and are working on new game ideas. If anything it's a we're now a studio and are branching out video.

They've been "Working on new game ideas" for about a decade at this point, even if they announce a game literally no-one involved in the creation of Minecraft will have anything to do with it.

Eh, I've overreacting but "Hi I'm generic American woman and here's why we're identical to every corporate rent a studio ever" is not inspiring to anyone.

56 minutes ago, Pob said:

If the regular controller had paddles, I'd stick with that. But it doesn't, so I'm Elite v2 all the way. They're mandatory for my enjoyment of many games now.

Don’t you find the Elite v2 much nicer to hold than the regular pads? Everything about it is a big step up for me - the textured grips, the weight, the sticks, the dpad and, obviously, the paddles. I hate having to go back to the standard pad now. It feels so cheap in comparison.

20 hours ago, JPL said:

It was just a flippant comment to be honest, but who mentioned anything about the build quality?

I’ve heard the odd comment of the face buttons giving up for some people, but in my experience it’s been absolutely solid, so hopefully that was just a bad batch.

For clarity, I got one for my eldest son for Christmas, who usually rips through pads like nobody’s business. It’s still going strong for him. Off the back of that I got one for myself to replace an Elite Series 1 and it’s a huge step up in quality.

Totally recommended from me. If you can afford it, get one.

How long does it normally take him to ruin a controller? 

24 minutes ago, bear said:

How long does it normally take him to ruin a controller? 

Probably around 6 months to finish one off, but they usually start with stick drift or buttons not working before that. I’ve no idea what he does with them, all he plays is Fortnite! I don’t think I’ve ever had to replace a pad in over 30 years of gaming!

Now you’ve made me think his Elite v2 is about to bite the bullet!

50 minutes ago, JPL said:

Probably around 6 months to finish one off, but they usually start with stick drift or buttons not working before that. I’ve no idea what he does with them, all he plays is Fortnite!

Any holes in the walls?

54 minutes ago, bear said:

:o

I don't mean to criticize your parenting or tell you how to raise your children but have you tried beating him with a big stick? He's costing you a fortune. 

I’ve considered it!

Thats why I’m hoping this Elite lasts him. It seems to be holding up really well so far.

27 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Any holes in the walls?

No! I know he usually falls asleep with it in his hand, because I always hear it crashing to the floor when he nods off and loses his grip. He definitely gets wound up sometimes and bashes it off the floor as well.

What can you do? Kids are gonna be kids.

27 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sounds like the last person I’d let near an Elite controller. 

Yeah, he’s been told if he breaks this one he isn’t getting another.

30 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How do you use the paddles? Just wondered what the main use of them was?

Everyone seems to have different preferences. Personally I like to use them to replace d-pad functions so I can access them without taking my thumb off the movement stick. I find that really helps the flow with some games. I’ve also started using them to change gears in driving games.

There are some games out there with some really odd control choices. The paddles can usually solve them. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How do you use the paddles? Just wondered what the main use of them was?

2 hours ago, Pavey said:

I’d like to know; I’ve never installed mine!

I am surprised you bought the controller then didn't use the primary feature! 

I have my paddles set to ABX and left stick click 90% of the time. It means you never have to take your thumb off the right stick and you can do the left stick click to run really easily. I have another profile set so the paddle that I normally have as Y is set to be a D Pad direction so I can switch grenade types in Halo without taking my left thumb off the stick to press the D-Pad. 

It took a while to acclimatise, and initially I would have some sort of paralysis where I couldn't work out what to press. Now I don't think I would go back (as in, I would buy another)- I'd prefer the controller to have the paddles rather than the face buttons - I never use the face buttons now unless I've got the paddles set to other controls.

On 18/05/2020 at 18:29, JPL said:

No! I know he usually falls asleep with it in his hand, because I always hear it crashing to the floor when he nods off and loses his grip. He definitely gets wound up sometimes and bashes it off the floor as well.

What can you do? Kids are gonna be kids.

Parental controls. Time limits on the console so he isn't playing it to the point of being so exhausted he passes out asleep while playing & uninstalling the games that make him throw a shit fit. 

https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/grounded/grounded-xbox-insider-flight-and-steam-game-festival-begin-june-9th

grounded_key_art-740x424.jpg

A demo for Grounded will be available for Xbox One via the Xbox Insider Program, and PC via both the Xbox Insider Program and Steam (as part of Steam Game Festival: Summer Edition) from June 9 to 14, publisher Microsoft and developer Obsidian Entertainment announced.

To participate in the Xbox Insider event, simply follow the following steps:

1.Visit the Microsoft Store

2.Search for the Xbox Insider Hub

3.Select Xbox Inside Hub

4.Install the Xbox Insider Program

Then, on June 9, all you will need to do is open up the Xbox Insider Hub program on Xbox One or PC and start downloading Grounded.

While participation in the Xbox Insider Hub program is the only way to play the Grounded demo on Xbox One during this period, PC users will also have the option of playing through Steam. The demo will be available to download on June 9.

Grounded will launch for Xbox One via Xbox Game Preview with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and PC via Steam Early Access on July 28.

Is there somewhere you can view a library of all the Games with Gold games you’ve got but not downloaded?

I find Games with Gold rather bollocks at the moment, not just in the output but also the way the free games are hidden away, you can’t seem to add them without downloading and you then can’t view what you own but haven’t got installed.

If any of the above are possible it would improve the service a lot.

@womblingfreeIf you go to My Games and Apps and go to the Games with Gold section, you should see a tab at the top that says "All Games" and it shows every Games with Gold title you have, and the ones that you haven't downloaded have a red download arrow on them. Alternatively, you can click on "All Games" and select Ready To Install and it will just show the ones you haven't installed.

On 17/05/2020 at 17:19, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What does everyone think about the Xbox elite 2 controller? Worth it, or a complete rip off? I am not a pro gamer but need to buy another Xbox pad and like that this has usb and charged itself. 

I had a V1 and don't think it was a rip off (apart from the awful build quality) but it wasn't for me. It felt very nice in the hand but was too heavy, the right trigger started to squeak and after 20+ years of playing without paddles, I just couldn't get used to them at all. The short throw triggers were kind of nice in Halo 5.

I sold it and went back to a normal pad and haven't missed it.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Hunt Showdown is 20.99. They've just added cross platform support so matchmaking is quicker. It's a fucking corking game.

Can you form a party with PS4 friends or is it random matchmaking?
How does voip work? can you talk with PS4 people?

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

I know hardly anyone but me will be interested, but the original Xbox Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is on sale this week for £3.59. It's the first time it's been on sale since it was made BC. 

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Prince-of-Persia-The-Sands-of-Time/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802555308d8

Cheers for that.

Utterly phenomenal game.