rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Either download one game at a time while your Xbox is on. Or, if you absolutely must download a few dozen all at once, then you'll have to leave the router on overnight for this one time. Those are the most sensible suggestions in this thread.

4 hours ago, JPL said:

Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with being cautious, if that’s your thing, but you can’t start complaining things that haven’t fully installed are disappearing from your downloads list if you’re switching off your console AND router before it’s had chance to download!

I didn't realise it was such a weird thing to do. I thought most people went round switching everything off before they left the house but I guess not.

I've also never had any problems with other consoles in this respect. The PS4 and Switch always resume downloads when I turn everything back on, as do Steam and GOG, I think. So does the Xbox, in fact, most of the time, and when it doesn't, it's because something has gone wrong. So, yeah, I shall continue to expect games consoles to resume downloads after breaks without power, and complain about them when they don't, particularly when some single file sizes are 100GB+ and BT broadband speeds here are under 5Mb/second (yes, that's 5 megabits - slooow).

1 minute ago, ann coulter said:

I didn't realise it was such a weird thing to do. I thought most people went round switching everything off before they left the house but I guess not.

I've also never had any problems with other consoles in this respect. The PS4 and Switch always resume downloads when I turn everything back on, as do Steam and GOG, I think. So does the Xbox, in fact, most of the time, and when it doesn't, it's because something has gone wrong. So, yeah, I shall continue to expect games consoles to resume downloads after breaks without power, and complain about them when they don't, particularly when some single file sizes are 100GB+ and BT's broadband speeds here are under 5Mb/second.

You will be seriously hindering your broadband connection by turning your router off, particularly after prolonged periods downloading large amounts of data, it will keep trying to re-train your line believing the downloads have caused a period of instability and will reduce line speed and increase latency to try to achieve a more stable connection, the DSLAM will expect the modem to be on the majority of the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

You will be seriously hindering your broadband connection by turning your router off, particularly after prolonged periods downloading large amounts of data, it will keep trying to re-train your line believing the downloads have caused a period of instability and will reduce line speed and increase latency to try to achieve a more stable connection, the DSLAM will expect the modem to be on the majority of the time.

Well, I'm not leaving this rickety ass old BT hub switched on for too long at a time. It's got to be over a decade old and is clogged with dust. I don't trust it for shit. Thankfully I'm getting fibre in April so we can all relax in a couple of months. Mark it in your calendars.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I've also never had any problems with other consoles in this respect. The PS4 and Switch always resume downloads when I turn everything back on, as do Steam and GOG, I think. So does the Xbox, in fact, most of the time, and when it doesn't, it's because something has gone wrong. So, yeah, I shall continue to expect games consoles to resume downloads after breaks without power, and complain about them when they don't, particularly when some single file sizes are 100GB+ and BT broadband speeds here are under 5Mb/second (yes, 5 that's megabits - slooow).

I just thought it was funny, that’s all!

As boozy said earlier, just pause the download before you switch everything off and you should be fine.

32 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

That's probably not entirely true, especially for the sorts of speeds he's talking about. It's entirely reasonable, even if it seems old fashioned, for people to want to be able to turn things off and have them carry on working.

19 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

For a kick off, which bit of describing her as "my cousin's daughter" made you think she was a man?

Secondly - the fact that they get called out to fires caused by electrical items catching fire shows there's no harm in being cautious, because it does happen. I've never been in a car accident where wearing a seatbelt prevented me from getting hurt, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that I don't wear a seatbelt every time I'm in a car

And thirdly and finally - I had it happen to me. As mentioned in my post, my PC caught fire. An ide to sata power converter that had been in there for years suddenly decided it wanted to burn my house down. It failed, but the way, though it did have a good go.

@rafaqat was being a bit snidey with his post, IMO. A short step from twirling a finger next to their head.

He comes across as anxious about something which almost never happens. Electronics spontaneously bursting into flames.  So I was just asking if he was seeing someone about his anxiety.   Just an assumption.   No twirling of fingers.  Apologies if anyone took it that way.

13 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

That's probably not entirely true, especially for the sorts of speeds he's talking about. It's entirely reasonable, even if it seems old fashioned, for people to want to be able to turn things off and have them carry on working.

I mean it is entirely true, it wont be so apparant on the sort of connection he has, but it definitely is what happens from a technology point of view, it probably isn't worth leaving the old router switched on now but i'd definitely recommend changing the behaviour once the Fibre gets installed, it's even more aggresive with VDSL lines.

I've just requested my first ever digital purchase refund, for Jalopy. I didn't really know what to expect but I didn't like it at all. I used the purchased in error option so I hope it works. 

How long has Space Engineers been in development? 5/6 years? It's finally out on April 15th! id@xbox uploaded the wrong trailer early as The Survivalists...

• Upvote 2

So I’ve had a my One X booting up into 640x480 several times now, not just when it’s been playing an old game. Only a full reboot fixes it which is really annoying.

Also had an issue where I was watching a 4k disc, paused it, and when I tried to start it up again I got the “your hdmi cable may not support...” whatever it was.

Rubbish.

36 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So I’ve had a my One X booting up into 640x480 several times now, not just when it’s been playing an old game. Only a full reboot fixes it which is really annoying.

Also had an issue where I was watching a 4k disc, paused it, and when I tried to start it up again I got the “your hdmi cable may not support...” whatever it was.

Rubbish.

On the 360, holding down Y when booting reset the video output, does that still work on the One?

38 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Rubbish.

If you're hot swapping HDMI cables don't do that, Use the proper HDMI cable that comes with the console as others seem to cause handshake problems.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

If you're hot swapping HDMI cables don't do that, Use the proper HDMI cable that comes with the console as others seem to cause handshake problems.

So this is the problem I’m having. I need a 4 metre hdmi cable as it passes through a chimney breast.

The first ones I tried ended up with sparkles and screen blackouts after a while. Since then I’ve been trialling others without installing them through the wall to see if they work. The first lot were completely fine for a while (4k certified) but then started doing the same screen sparkles as the old ones, so I sent them back.

The new ones are fine so far, but I’ve just started getting these scaling issues at start up and the 4k disc playback issue if you pause the movie. 4K and HDR are all fine though, so I’ll give them another week or so. PS4 Pro is fine with them too.

Honestly, I wish you could get longer officia Sony and Microsoft 4kl hdmi cables. The hdmi cable market for 4k devices is a minefield.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

The hdmi cable market for 4k devices is a minefield.

It really is. I bought, what I thought, was a decent cable to do exactly what you've done. I stupidly didn't test it. Chased out the chimney breast, installed the cable, plastered it all back up. Only to find I was getting sparkles all over the screen.

Absolute nightmare.

I did finally get one, so I'll see if I can find which one it was for you. I made sure I thoroughly tested it before plastering it into the wall this time!

I downloaded the Dolby Access app and have been trying out the 7 day free trial of Dolby Atmos for Headphones. It’s genuinely impressive stuff and far better than the default Windows Sonic surround processing - well worth the £15 they’re charging, I think. 

Only thing is, the Xbox keeps randomly resetting the output to Windows Sonic. It’s easy enough to change it back but it means I have to check the setting every time I plug my headphones in. Is there any reason why it keeps doing this? There doesn’t seem to be any consistency as to whether the setting will “stick” or not. 

• Upvote 2

It should switch to Atmos when you plug it in, and back to the default non-headset option when you unplug it. Thats not much help but it should work like that. Theyve updated the Access app a lot with more options, but I dont know if you still need to download the separate Dolby Atmos for Headphones app? I tried to find that now but its not on the store anymore so maybe they baked that into the Access app

Maybe try a hard reboot?

23 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

It should switch to Atmos when you plug it in, and back to the default non-headset option when you unplug it.

Yeah, it does this except sometimes it switches to Windows Sonic instead. I can then go into the Settings page and switch it back to Dolby Atmos but it's obviously a pain.

I don't think it's the app's fault - everything's now in the Dolby Access app and you only need to load it up to change settings, otherwise it's just a selectable option in the usual place.

I'll try a hard reboot, never a bad suggestion when it comes to all things Xbox.

I switch between laptop, conference speaker and usb headset on my laptop and windows reliably gets it right about 90% of the time, just enough for me to not notice when it doesn't until it's too late.

Is it best to get game pass ultimate, or is regular game pass enough? Do the games with gold you get with ultimate not just tend to end up on game pass anyway? Are there any other differences?

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is it best to get game pass ultimate, or is regular game pass enough? Do the games with gold you get with ultimate not just tend to end up on game pass anyway? Are there any other differences?

I thought the difference between the two was you got PC games?

Game Pass = Game Pass for Console + Game Pass for PC

Game Pass Ultimate = Game Pass for Console + Game Pass for PC + Xbox Live Gold

The Games with Gold titles don't tend to end up on Game Pass so you'll consistently get around 12+ new games each month with GP Ultimate.

• Upvote 1