rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Can anybody give a little assistance with parental controls and game pass?

We gave our lad a Xbox one for Christmas, he's 8 so I've setup the parental controls on the box. I've set it so my account is the parent and he is the child. The Xbox auto signs in as him and my account needs a password. 

I have setup game pass on my account and downloaded Minecraft. When he tries to play it on his account it says it will only work under my account. 

I removed Minecraft and reinstalled it under his profile (which it let me do), but when I try and launch it the error says I need to buy the game from the store.

Question - can I share games downloaded on gamepass to other accounts on the same Xbox?

Question 2 - can I remove the adverts and store from his account? It's a bit mean showing him games he can't have, and now I'm bring pestered to get other games even though he's just got the thing. 

Question 3 - I really fancy getting Control and Outer Wilds, is there a way I can prevent his account from even seeing they are there?

Many thanks :)

Do you have your console set up as your ‘Home’ console in settings? If so your son (and anyone else using your Xbox with their account or as a guest) should be able to play all your digital purchases even when you’re not signed in. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Do you have your console set up as your ‘Home’ console in settings? If so your son (and anyone else using your Xbox with their account or as a guest) should be able to play all your digital purchases even when you’re not signed in. 

Yes, this should work.  With the parent account not logging in I don't think he will be able to see Control or The Outer Wilds either. 

Thanks I'll take a look - how do you set it at the Home console?

Edit - got it, thanks seems to do the trick. Minecraft worked at least :)

My Internet’s been down all day and one of lifes pleasures on a wet dark working week day is watching Netflix with dinner.

Luckily it turns out the One X plays the 4k Mandalorian files my PS4 refused to.

Purchase justified. 

• Upvote 5

I'm sure it's been asked / covered loads of times but I don't remember seeing it on here and a Google search doesn't come up with anything definitive, but is there a way of redeeming a US download code (in this case for Shovel knight) and then playing the game on my UK Xbox without risking a ban or anything crazy happening? 

16 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I'm sure it's been asked / covered loads of times but I don't remember seeing it on here and a Google search doesn't come up with anything definitive, but is there a way of redeeming a US download code (in this case for Shovel knight) and then playing the game on my UK Xbox without risking a ban or anything crazy happening? 

Make a US account and download it using that account. Then you're free to play it on your UK account.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Make a US account and download it using that account. Then you're free to play it on your UK account.

Is that as simple as it sounds, as in I log out on my Xbox and then create a new US based (where's best for no tax etc) user / I'm guessing new gamertag etc and then just log back in as me and it'll work? Is there perhaps a fool of all fools guide out there as I'm always super worried with things like this of them going wrong!! 

EDIT: Found this guide which seems straight forward enough, thought I'd add it incase others were interested: https://digiex.net/threads/step-by-step-guide-to-purchasing-games-from-us-xbox-one-store-from-any-region.13353/

If you have a VPN just change region to USA in your browser, log in and redeem.

You may need to add a US address.

Are Xbox One controllers generally a bit flakey or could mine be defective?

Got one bundled with my all digital and its forever disconnecting, even with fresh batteries in. 

13 hours ago, Hitcher said:

If you have a VPN just change region to USA in your browser, log in and redeem.

You may need to add a US address.

Thanks but I don't have a VPN. The cheap code that I was going to get has now gone but if one comes up again I'll try the method that I found and post a relevant update :).

10 hours ago, StephenM said:

Got one bundled with my all digital and its forever disconnecting, even with fresh batteries in. 

Yeah as per @Hitchers post they're normally superb. Don't think I've ever had a single disconnection so it certainly sounds like there's something wrong with yours. 

• Upvote 1

Assuming it's not faulty, it's more likely to be an issue with radio interference than battery level. Turn off your home wifi and your mobile phone and test.

Also, try moving the console into a more open area just to eliminate that as an issue.

• Upvote 1

I've been going back and forth in my head about whether to pick up a cheap Xbox to tide me over until the new one's out at the end of the year and have been checking out the All Digital version which I'm sure was going for around £130 at Christmas time. It seems to be both quite expensive now (from £160 to £200) and either low in stock or outright unavailable at the usual places I buy from. Were they flogging them off cheap to get rid of this particular SKU or something?

19 hours ago, StephenM said:

I had this problem with my original potato edition Xbox One. Never managed to fix it.

Same controller works fine on my Xbox One X though. So it must have been the console rather than the controller. I appreciate this probably isn't what you want to hear though!

• Upvote 1

The wifi chipset in the Xbox One is known to cause issues with connecting the controller. Just a random search now shows its still an issue

Stuff like this

Maybe its that. I had this problem early on with the Xbox One but I dont know if the issue was with the controller or the console chips.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I've been going back and forth in my head about whether to pick up a cheap Xbox to tide me over until the new one's out at the end of the year and have been checking out the All Digital version which I'm sure was going for around £130 at Christmas time. It seems to be both quite expensive now (from £160 to £200) and either low in stock or outright unavailable at the usual places I buy from. Were they flogging them off cheap to get rid of this particular SKU or something?

Dunno why it is but a friend of mine who'd recently split from the misuse so decided to get one to kill time was also disappointed to find the same re them shooting back up in price. In the end he upped his budget (kind of facilitated by the crazy good Game Pass Ultime deal and me saying he could borrow my physical games) and grabbed a one X from Music Magpie for just over £200 (just looked and they're currently going for £235). It came with a 12 month warranty and I've got to say it was in bloody good condition. 

On 01/01/2020 at 07:00, Revival said:

xbox-jan20.png.7ec7094bf42b0288adcc08e8549a234b.png

Welcome to the Xbox release list for January 2020, Happy New Year!!

Slim pickings so far, A combination of not much info available yet and the new season lul. If you're looking for something fun an immediate to play check out Natsuki Chronicles from last month, A beautifully crafted shmup that takes influence from some of the best games in the genre like Metal Black, Border Down, Gradius and Pulstar. It's genuinely one of the best new shmups in a decade with tons of content and if you have a One X it runs natively in 4K/60. Please check it out.

Jan 02 - Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX

Jan 08 - Animal Friends Adventure
Jan 08 - Dragon Sinker: Descendants of Legend
Jan 08 - IN-VERT
Jan 08 - Regions of Ruin
Jan 09 - AO Tennis 2

Jan 10 - Paperbound Brawlers

Jan 14 - Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo

Jan 15 - Red Bow

Jan 15 - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments Redux

Jan 15 - Without Escape: Console Edition

Han 16 - The Surge 2: Kraken

Jan 17 - Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Jan 17 - Far Out
Jan 17 - Hovership Havoc
Jan 21 - Moons of Madness [delayed to March 24]

Jan 22 - Football, Tactics & Glory

Jan 22 - Foxyland 2

Jan 22 - Lumini

Jan 22 - The Office Quest

Jan 23 - Gris

Jan 23 - Iconoclasts

Jan 23 - Mosaic
Jan 23 - Rugby 20
Jan 24 - Dreamball
Jan 27 - Stone
Jan 28 - It came from space and ate our brains
Jan 28 - Journey to the Savage Planet

Jan 28 - Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition
Jan 28 - Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - Ultimate edition

Jan 29 - Music Racer

Jan 30 - Code Shifter
Jan 30 - Coffee Talk

Jan 31 - hyper|dot

Is Kentucky Route Zero coming to game pass?

• Upvote 2

Was it in that montage video from XO19? -edit just checked. Nope.

I don't think anything has been announced about it coming to Game Pass but it'll be announced next week if it is.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update. Does that mean Gris is coming to XBOX or is it PC only and on the list because of Game Pass?

Gris is in the Xbox Wire release list for this week and that's only ever covered the console releases so I think it's coming to Xbox One. I guess we'll know for sure Thursday morning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Revival said:

Was it in that montage video from XO19? -edit just checked. Nope.

I don't think anything has been announced about it coming to Game Pass but it'll be announced next week if it is.

I should have checked that video, but I was pretty sure it wasnt in there. Cheers. I thought maybe it wasnt in there because the final TV edition didnt have a release date at that time, but who knows.. Im getting it either way!

On 13/01/2020 at 20:17, womblingfree said:

My Internet’s been down all day and one of lifes pleasures on a wet dark working week day is watching Netflix with dinner.

Luckily it turns out the One X plays the 4k Mandalorian files my PS4 refused to.

Purchase justified. 

The Xbox is good for this sort of thing. When I got my Xbox one S, I got a bit of shit eye off the missus. We were about to have a kid, so money was being watched. 

I placated her by downloading something I knew she wanted to watch, but in a format that I knew the PS4 wouldn't play. 

'Oh, no. It doesn't work. Sorry, my dear. Hang on. I have an idea. Maybe the Xbox will play it...'

• Upvote 4

Just got home with an Xbox one X.  What’s the cheapest way to get a year of Live and GamePass?  I already have game pass on PC.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just got home with an Xbox one X.  What’s the cheapest way to get a year of Live and GamePass?  I already have game pass on PC.

You really want to maximise your £1 Game Pass Ultimate, by buying cheap Xbox Live Gold (max 36 months). 

• Upvote 1