rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Fair enough, I have never had to contact them in that regard. Good to know as well, I bought my X a few months back from Amazon and am paranoid that it might pack up (it can be a little noisy at night but nothing terrible).

8 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I am intrigued as to what you said to them to get a refund like that. No return either?

I still have to return it, but that's fine. It's not costing me anything, Amazon are paying for that as well. There's not really much to return anyway, the console, the controller, hdmi cable etc. and I still have the original box -- and also the box that box came in, incredibly -- which is handy.

The guy I spoke to on the phone said he was an Xbox fan, so I wonder if that swayed things a little. He seemed to have a lot of sympathy once I explained what the problem was. The fact that it was just the console and not in any type of bundle also might have helped. I imagine it's easier to sort out, the refund at their end, and the return at my end, as there's no download codes that I might have used.

It's doubly surprising because I bought it through a third party seller on Amazon, and not direct from Amazon. Haven't even had to contact the seller. The guy on the phone just okayed the refund and that was the end of it.

What's great is that when I buy the console again in a couple of weeks, it'll be fifty quid cheaper than what I paid for it last year! :) 

• Upvote 1

None of my games are launching again and I’m getting 0x97e10804 error again. Is this that thing that affects everyone again? I seem to recall last time I thought my X was fucked but it was everyone, not just me.

Its my day off today.

Edit: ah it’s working now. Worrying that the error code isn’t found anywhere at all.

47 minutes ago, DC said:

None of my games are launching again and I’m getting 0x97e10804 error again. Is this that thing that affects everyone again? I seem to recall last time I thought my X was fucked but it was everyone, not just me.

Its my day off today.

Edit: ah it’s working now. Worrying that the error code isn’t found anywhere at all.

I get that occasionally, often after I've remotely downloaded games. 

A restart always fixes it (so far). 

there's no way to record the homescreen, is there?

shame.

getting fed up of the 30 second delay between displaying it, and drawing the green square so I can select things.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Someone on the Xbox dev team bought a PS4 then?

Hopefully they aren't stupid enough to force you to horizontally scroll through hundreds of installed games.

• Empathy 1

Hitting a shoulder button to jump through them all isn't very intuitive, though. I've had a PS4 since launch and over the past few weeks I've been scrolling through them all manually until you posted that and it jogged my memory.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

It does look "cleaner". Let's hope they eliminate some of the lag.

This is the main thing for me. I don't understand how the WORLDS MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE can feel so bloody slow in the menus. It's awful.

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Hitting a shoulder button to jump through them all isn't very intuitive, though. I've had a PS4 since launch and over the past few weeks I've been scrolling through them all manually until you posted that and it jogged my memory.

I just put them into folders (arcade, main, vr, media, and multiplayer). Very little scrolling needed

It sounds like it'll be quite a bit faster. The tabs are gone, so it's loading less out of the box, and local cortana is being removed. 

Is the UI laggy for people with slow internet or something? It always pretty quick for me and I’m on Infinity 2, or whatever it’s called these days.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is the UI laggy for people with slow internet or something? It always pretty quick for me and I’m on Infinity 2, or whatever it’s called these days.

I have the same internet, laggy as fuck, takes 5 minutes to load pins etc.

On the original Xbone.

1 minute ago, Purin said:

On the original Xbone.

I’m on an X. It’s a weird one though. I hear it mentioned all the time, but I’ve never had a problem with it. It’s all pretty immediate for me.

46 minutes ago, Purin said:

On the original Xbone.

Wow, so it is something to do with routing maybe, because mine are instant (OG Forza Edition).

From instant on, I should add. Not sure about cold boot, don't do it often. 

37 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Wow, so it is something to do with routing maybe, because mine are instant (OG Forza Edition).

From instant on, I should add. Not sure about cold boot, don't do it often. 

That's the difference, I cold boot. Not because of the expense, but because the power brick fans make noise.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

I have 500mb download speed and it's still as laggy as fuck for me.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Not being funny but what do expect from a cold boot?

For it not to take 5 minutes to show icons for things that are already installed on the system. Why's that stuff not read from the HDD and updated as needed when you have a connection?

See also: booting your Xbox One without an internet connection.

Yeah, the Xbox is ridiculously slow from cold boot. I've got into the habit of switching the Xbox on and then going in the kitchen and making myself a drink or something while it loads up. 

Both the PS4 and Switch (the Switch in particular) are lightning fast in comparison. 

Agreed PS4 and switch are faster from cold boot but these things take such little power in standby that you’re probably saving yourself a tenner over the year by cold booting.  Fuck that!

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Agreed PS4 and switch are faster from cold boot but these things take such little power in standby that you’re probably saving yourself a tenner over the year by cold booting.  Fuck that!

Just in case anyone is bored / as boring as I am:

Spoiler

Xbox One uses 14.2W in standby (only 10 for the X). 

8760 hours in a year

Assuming it only ever idles in standby, that's 14.2*8760 = ~124kWh.

I pay 12.9¢ for the first 400kWh I use

Annual idle cost is 124*12.9¢ = $16

I pay about $16 a year for it to idle. 

PS4 about the same. That's a lot of idle wattage across every console sitting out there. They should make the next ones work more efficiently in standby. 

• Upvote 2