Jump to content
rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Recommended Posts

The UI has been fixed as far as they could go/were willing to go without a complete overhaul. Which is really what it needed, the current mess is one of the few lingering consequences of the Dark Mattrick era which gave us an UI squarely focused on using Kinect and serving the users sports (read: ads) and tv (read: ads) primarily, with gaming relegated to a secondary function of the one box to rule your household. I understand why they would wait until the next-gen Xbox for that complete overhaul though, and I'm expecting/hoping for something much better and far more user-friendly with XB2 

 

But how about that Game Pass, eh? Phwoar!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had my One X now for about two months and while it's still pretty slow at times, the UI isn't so bad to use now.

 

Game Pass though is just crazy good value, as someone who likes to have 4 or 5 games on the go at once, having almost 200 games at the fingertips is heaven.

 

I just wish there were a few more RPGs on the service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, peeveen said:

8. You can disable that. There's an option in UI. Good luck finding it.

 

What you can't disable is the various whooshes and bleeps as you move around the slow dogturd of a UI.

 

Drives me mad. I hate beeps in things, I love silence!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold in three more Ultimate upgrades to mates at the weekend. I think MS definitely missed a trick on the blurry messaging of that offer as it effectively bonds people to the Xbox ecosystem for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveH said:

@Phelan I want to address point no. 7

 

 Batteries are awesome. Get some eneloops and only worry about charging them around every 35-40 hours, instead of the 3-4 hours of the DS4 controller. Brilliant :)

I’ll look into that but not too happy about spending $50 on batteries!

 

3-4 hours on a PS4 controller? I get about 8 hours on my PS4 controller. And I have two so I just switch over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

6. & 10. - You can learn how to use it over time. It is overly complicated yet there are multiple routes to each function. It has been fixed and used to be far worse.

 

 

That’s it better? How fucking terrible was it before? 

 

I work on websites UI at times and I can’t believe people think it’s ok. It’s a solid mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The UI has been fixed as far as they could go/were willing to go without a complete overhaul. Which is really what it needed, the current mess is one of the few lingering consequences of the Dark Mattrick era which gave us an UI squarely focused on using Kinect and serving the users sports (read: ads) and tv (read: ads) primarily, with gaming relegated to a secondary function of the one box to rule your household. I understand why they would wait until the next-gen Xbox for that complete overhaul though, and I'm expecting/hoping for something much better and far more user-friendly with XB2 

 

But how about that Game Pass, eh? Phwoar!

Gamepass is superb. Really excellent. 

 

I ‘I have so many great games now albeit I downloaded that 1940s bomber game and the control system was so complex I deleted it straight away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The little ting noise when you eject a disk is the machine's best feature. And the UI is the worst UI ever invented, apart from the last three versions they tried.

 

My main frustration with the Xbox One at the moment is that the Instant On mode is so unreliable.  Games that I've suspended often crash on startup or have other problems like restarting without sound. And the whole machine seems to slow down progressively over time meaning I have to do a full reboot every few days anyway. It always gives me a smug little message about a game taking too long to start like it's my fault somehow. Compared to the PS4's Rest mode, which just works, and never seems to need a full reboot, it feels distinctly flakey.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On batteries I would suggest a plug and play charge kit. I have had mine since launch and it still holds a good deal of charge now (usually recharging every couple of weeks). Far better than the PS4 battery life which lasts a few days if that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make your own home menu groups though. I have 'Currently Playing', 'Xbox One X', Xbox One', Xbox 360', 'Xbox', and 'Apps' all grouped nicely on mine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Phelan said:

I’ll look into that but not too happy about spending $50 on batteries!

 

3-4 hours on a PS4 controller? I get about 8 hours on my PS4 controller. And I have two so I just switch over. 

It's a little cheap that it didn't come with rechargeable batteries, but the longevity of the Xbox controller on a single charge, once you've bought it, is comical compared to the DS4. I mentally expect to charge my DS4s, like my phone, but I frequently forget with my Xbox pads. It's more like my fitbit, which will go days and catch me off-guard because I've forgotten it's at low charge.

 

I suspect they'll be USB-C and come with a built-in battery, next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phelan said:
  1. It was great seeing a bunch of my old 360 games appearing in games I own
  2. Fable!

 

I used to love Fable.  Didn't it have 'a thing' where you would keep collecting money, even if you weren't playing the game?  I seem to remember you sort of end up having a ridiculous amount of money, and I've always been curious to go back to it now and just see if it was still counting up :D

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phelan said:

That’s it better? How fucking terrible was it before? 

 

I work on websites UI at times and I can’t believe people think it’s ok. It’s a solid mess. 

It was absolutely atrocious before. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  I don't think we've ever fully abstracted ourselves from Kinect as a primary input device.  Win 10 suffers a bit from a similarly largely dead phone influence.  

 

I'd reasonably intuit we'll get a proper rethink, at some point.  Depending on the legs of this gen and uptake of next,  it may come to this one,  too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Yeah,  I don't think we've ever fully abstracted ourselves from Kinect as a primary input device.  Win 10 suffers a bit from a similarly largely dead phone influence.  

 

I'd reasonably intuit we'll get a proper rethink, at some point.  Depending on the legs of this gen and uptake of next,  it may come to this one,  too.

Fair enough. I really hope they get a good team on it because it is the thing that is the most disappointing about the whole thing.

 

Oh now something else. I have a SteelSeries Arctis Pro PS4 headset - can I use that for Xbox playing and chatting? Anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone just messaged me and called me a “dumb n****r”. I reported it but by the time I'd filled out the report they'd deleted it. Will the Xbox team be able to see the message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enabled the setting to allow downloads from the android game pass app. The last time I did this, my xbox essentially filled the HDD with games, I assume some old queue I wasn't aware of. This is problematic for me on a data cap, but now I've bought in to ultimate, I thought I'd give it another go. 

 

Nothing odd downloaded until I grabbed this month's GwG. I always get or buy them (the verbiage varies) through the store, to get the license, then immediately cancel the download. Even if I did have caps, the hdd is almost full. Anyway, some time passes and I notice under updates it's gone and downloaded all those GwG titles. 

 

Is there any way to fix all this? Those games were not in the queue on the xbox itself,  I cancelled them, so that queue must exist elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Game sharing?

Not sure what that is, but I'm only logged into one XB1. It's possible the kids turned on the 360 in the basement, but I'm assuming that could cause stuff to download on that one, not the XB1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game sharing is when you know someone with an Xbox One and swap profile so each other's is the others home console. This gives each of you access to any games bought by either owner. It's pretty sweet when you share with someone who buys their fair share of digital games. Pain in the arse when your internet breaks though. Works with Game Pass and EA Access too (game trials excluded).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Avuncular said:

Someone just messaged me and called me a “dumb n****r”. I reported it but by the time I'd filled out the report they'd deleted it. Will the Xbox team be able to see the message?

Definitely, I've reported loads of people being racist sexist twats on Sea of Thieves or via messages and had responses saying action was taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TehStu said:

Not sure what that is, but I'm only logged into one XB1. It's possible the kids turned on the 360 in the basement, but I'm assuming that could cause stuff to download on that one, not the XB1.

Well if you add the 360 GwG to download they'll then get downloaded on the 360 when it's switched on, so maybe when your kids do that it also triggers the Xbox One to download them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.