rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

22 hours ago, Hitcher said:

As said earlier it adds the length of both together.

Does it tell you this before you commit?   I have a combine 3 years worth of GamePass and Gold on my account and my sons.  Was going to buy more gold to get gold to 3 years and then convert.  This sound slike I can do it right now without buying more

19 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Does it tell you this before you commit?

I certainly think so, it was like "ok I'll do it". Und I deeeed.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TehStu said:

Because this deal is so daft, I just want to check this is right. I have Gold until December 19 and Game Pass until February 20. I forget the exact days.

Anyway, I think the cheapest way to do this is grab a couple of 12 month Gold cards (so until December 2021), and then buy this $1 Ultimate, and then that also upgrades Game Pass to December 2021, right? 

This worked, by the way. Looks like I had about 6 months Live and 8 months Pass left. Bought two 12 month Live cards, bought the $1 ultimate upgrade and it converted it all to 36 months of Ultimate, so I'm good until June 2022. Oh and your microsoft rewards points will still stack toward this, they'll just prorate the value of the normal Pass/Live cards you can redeem against the going rate for Ultimate. Seems fair. Although, they're bound to just add Ultimate to rewards at some point.

Well played MS, solidly in this ecosystem now. How about some sort of Ultimate discount for us O365 subscribers.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend some good but obscure RPGs on Xbox Live? I've played pretty much all the mainstream ones - Final Fantasy, Tales of, Diablo, The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity etc. I'm just looking for a new experience. Elex is on special offer on Live, and I did enjoy Risen, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for such jank at the moment.

I was hesitant to buy Elex myself as I had seen some less than kind remarks about it. But I must admit I didn't really find it janky at all, and the use of a jetpack in it really did give it a different feel to most other RPG's. I did find it quite tough in places, but I really enjoyed it.

Oh, and while not obscure as such, if you didn't play Lost Odyssey on the 360, then it's an absolute must now its backwards compatible.

Ashen is pretty good as well, even if it does wear its love for Dark Souls on its sleeve. 

Smaller stuff? I recently played Ys Origins, which was decent but very old school. There's Battlechasers: Nightwar as well which I enjoyed a lot. The Technomancer is a decent, but janky Euro RPG - I like that sort of thing. 

There's a load of stuff been added on backwards compatibility recently as well - Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery and Enchanted Arms all got added this week. 

20 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Can anyone recommend some good but obscure RPGs on Xbox Live? I've played pretty much all the mainstream ones - Final Fantasy, Tales of, Diablo, The Witcher, Skyrim, Divinity etc. I'm just looking for a new experience. Elex is on special offer on Live, and I did enjoy Risen, but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for such jank at the moment.

I just played through Shining Resonance. It’s not very good but I found it utterly compelling. 

Hyper Light Drifter is supposed to be a good action RPG.

Bastion’s another very good action RPG.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

If youre really looking for a new experience in an adventure game maybe try Outer Wilds, or something like Graveyard Keeper.

I got Valkyria Chronicles 4 in a sale recently and cant wait to find the time to play that. Thats also a slightly unique experience and the artwork looks so good.

1 hour ago, Orbital2060 said:

If youre really looking for a new experience in an adventure game maybe try Outer Wilds, or something like Graveyard Keeper.

I got Valkyria Chronicles 4 in a sale recently and cant wait to find the time to play that. Thats also a slightly unique experience and the artwork looks so good.

If it’s not been mentioned already Path of Exile. This is the game Diablo 3 should have been and my favourite game at the moment by far. Free to play as well!

2 hours ago, Thwomp said:

If you fancy a return to the slightly more brutal era of open-world RPGs, I've got a lot enjoyment from the wilfully obtuse Outward. It does feel a bit janky, but it's nice to play an RPG that allows you to explore your way into certain defeat rather than keeping its world friendly and/or channelling you down safe routes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Apologies for asking this lazy question but are any of the offers on games currently on sale unmissably good?

Not really, no. Unless you don't have Titanfall 2 already, or Assassin's Creed Origins maybe. 

• Upvote 1

I picked up the big open world Ghost Recon game for something like £12, probably cheaper to buy second hand on disc but hey ho.

9 hours ago, stefcha said:

Not really, no. Unless you don't have Titanfall 2 already, or Assassin's Creed Origins maybe. 

Thanks, I have Titanfall 2 and I'm not so fussed about Ass Creed. 

Cheers boys for flagging up the Game Pass Ultimate deal. I’m sorted till June 2022 now and so it should be a nice start for Scarlett!

Had the hdd fail in one of my scorpios so I decided to fix it up myself as I am quite fond of tinkering with them now (having already replaced the paste) 
Turns out it was pretty easy.

This is the kit I needed:
Sata 3 to USB 3.0 adaptor
2Tb SSHD 2.5inch
Set of Torx screwdrivers to open up the X (these are just an example as I have a tech toolkit already)
8Gb+ USB drive.

Without scientifically measuring it The SSHD I used is much quicker than the stock drive. It;s got some bad reviews there on the amazon page but I had zero problems.

This is the video I followed, in the description there are links to all the scripts needed etc.

Edit: It also borked the startup animation (was just a black screen) but this fixes it. Wonder if I can add my own?

So in conclusion another post basically saying don't sit on your hands waiting for repairs, have a go yourself.

On 13/06/2019 at 21:22, Boozy The Clown said:

Always one of the highlights of E3. Put the kettle on open some biccies and see what Uncle Phil and Jaded Jeff chat about this year.

I think the GB interview with Phil is my highlight every E3 year.

Has anyone had any joy with MS fixing their One X when out of warranty and if so how? 

Mine used to be whisper quiet but has been getting louder and louder over the last few months and last night shut down twice due to overheating.

It's an 18 month old Scorpio and despite me (very politely / non smugly) quoting the EU 2 year (which seems crystal clear)/ UK 6 Year (not q so clear but had thought the EU law would have me covered anyway) warranty to them they're not budging one bit.

They did offer to fix it at a cost of £204 and also happily pointed me in the direction of the EU Online Dispute Resolution but I can't say either of them really appeal :(

Overheating issues after the one year mark seem to be a recurring theme with the one x. I had to replace mine after having no luck with MS support. 

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

Overheating issues after the one year mark seem to be a recurring theme with the one x. I had to replace mine after having no luck with MS support. 

Yup, a quick Google shows that you and me are far from alone.

Seems kind of crazy to me that after the RROD fiasco there'd not be a huge safety margin built into the One / One X and madder still that having worked so hard to do a great job of rebuilding Xbox both as a product and service after the announcement / launch mess, that they'd then stick two fingers up at a customer with a relatively early premium product failure.