rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

12 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Microsoft have taken the funds for my X. Looks like I'm getting one on Tuesday, although I was constantly hovering over the 'cancel' button until now.

I don't have a 4K TV. I hate the new Minecraft, so won't be playing it in 4K. I'm looking forward to playing Quantum Break and Fallout 3 in their improved forms, but other than Anthem, PUBG and maybe, at a push, Sea Of Thieves, I can't think of anything of interest on the horizon.

I heard the pin quota had been pushed up to 100 on Xbox One X

I should be picking up an Xbox One S tomorrow at Game. I will get that with COD WWII but I will be trading that in instantly. I haven't owned an Xbox One yet so this is my first. I am rather overwhelmed with how many games there are. With the Nintendo Switch, deciding what to buy is simple - all the first party stuff. I'd like the following:

A racer/driving game - not a sim but something like Burnout Paradise or Need For Speed hot Pursuit

A shooter - Halo? My favourite shooter on the 360 was probably Binary Domain

I loved Just Cause 2 and Crackdown so an open World blow everything up game would be good

I will be buying Minecraft for the kids - is there one version on the Xbox One or loads of different ones

Platformer - not Rayman Legends

I loved Dead Rising so I suppose Dead Rising 3

Is it worth waiting for Rocket League on the Switch or buying it for Xbox One?

GTAV and Skyrim were two of my favourite 360 games - is it worth buying them again? 

I'd like some ideas as there's too many games.

Forza Horizon 2 or 3

Titanfall 2 or Halo5

Sunset Overdrive

Ori

DR3 & 4 are both better than people who haven’t played them give them credit for.

Rocket League I guess depends how much you value portability? As it’ll be crossplay Xbox/switch anyway. If you don’t have a switch pro controller I’d go Xbox.

GTAV is tremendous but we play it online a lot - great stuff with the stunt racing etc.

Never played Skyrim so cant comment.

You should grab the 14 day game pass trial that’s instant access to 100 games which includes Halo5 and a few others off that list i am sure. Also bear in mind there’s a lot of free service titles you can get a taste of like Killer Instinct.

I didn't DR2/3/4 because the stupid time restriction missions of DR put me right off.

maybe another look is in order.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I didn't DR2/3/4 because the stupid time restriction missions of DR put me right off.

maybe another look is in order.

I think 2 still had that but 3 and particularly 4 cut it drastically so that it’s more relaxed fun with a lot of humour rather than having to repeat sections over and over till you can get the time down enough. That felt fresh when 1 launched but a revisit recently was a real eye opener. They’re great fun particularly 3 in coop I’m looking forward to revisiting 4 with the X upgrades.

Just looking on amazon, is about £200 the standard price for an S at the moment? Seems it’s the same price with or without FH3, will that be a download code or a disc? How much is a year of Xbox live nowadays? Does the S have any major advantages over a second hand original model?

S is smaller, arguably nicer, little bit faster, does 4k HDR Blu Ray, HDR in games, and I think an internal power brick?

• Upvote 2

The S has a 10% gpu boost over the original which makes things a little snappier (os etc) and the big advantage over the original model is the 4K blu-ray drive.

There's currently loads of offers on at the mo:

.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-s-500gb-with-6-games-assassins-creed-origins-dishonored-2-doom-fallout-4-cod-ww2-forza-7-20970-shopto-2821491

Xbox live is still £40 but if you sign up to Microsoft rewards and do some searches on bing (for quite a while) you can get 12months/gift cards for free.

Some places will sell it for anything from £26 to £32 if you search around. cdkeys/avforums/ebay

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

S is smaller, arguably nicer, little bit faster, does 4k HDR Blu Ray, HDR in games, and I think an internal power brick?

It also reads discs whilst placed vertically. 

14 minutes ago, Broker said:

Just looking on amazon, is about £200 the standard price for an S at the moment? Seems it’s the same price with or without FH3, will that be a download code or a disc? How much is a year of Xbox live nowadays? Does the S have any major advantages over a second hand original model?

There are some good deals available at the moment. @neoELITE posted some good deals from GAME in the bargains folder earlier this week.

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2017 at 11:20, neoELITE said:

I should be picking up an Xbox One S tomorrow at Game. I will get that with COD WWII but I will be trading that in instantly. I haven't owned an Xbox One yet so this is my first. I am rather overwhelmed with how many games there are. With the Nintendo Switch, deciding what to buy is simple - all the first party stuff. I'd like the following:

A racer/driving game - not a sim but something like Burnout Paradise or Need For Speed hot Pursuit Forza Horizon 3 should be your choice here, or maybe 2 if money is tight and 2's on sale someplace

A shooter - Halo? My favourite shooter on the 360 was probably Binary Domain  Another easy one - Halo 5 or Titanfall 2

I loved Just Cause 2 and Crackdown so an open World blow everything up game would be good Probably best waiting for Crackdown 3 

I will be buying Minecraft for the kids - is there one version on the Xbox One or loads of different ones  Dunno, but probably lots of different packs with skins etc

Platformer - not Rayman Legends  Ori is your number one choice here but there are loads of smaller indie ones

I loved Dead Rising so I suppose Dead Rising 3 Nope Wait for the original Dead Rising to go back compatible

Is it worth waiting for Rocket League on the Switch or buying it for Xbox One? Pass, maybe friends, ease of matchmaking would be decisive factors

GTAV and Skyrim were two of my favourite 360 games - is it worth buying them again?  Skyrim mos' def'.  Get the GOTY edition in a sale and it's all there from the start to be explored all over in a different play style

I'd like some ideas as there's too many games.

For chewy (thought provoking) SP games, anything by Arkane (Dishonored series or Prey), or Quantum Break would fit the bill.

Rare replay is stupidly good value for money and charmingly presented

I could make plenty more RPG recommendations too.

(sorry if this is duplicated some posts above, seemed a good format to respond with).

But yes, you may be an ideal customer for the monthly game pass subscription, at least on a trial basis.  On the other hand, if ownership is your bag, there is bound to be the usual Thanksgiving and Xmas / NY sales where real bargains can be found.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all the replies. I should have gone to Game today to collect it but I can't be arsed after doing a load of stuff this morning (that includes playing loads of Mario Odyssey). I'll be popping in tomorrow to get it. WWII is £32 trade in. I have a download code for Assassins Creed Origins with it too - I haven't enjoyed many of those games - only Brotherhood and Black Flag - is it worth me using that code and playing it or would I be better off selling that on?

5 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Thanks for all the replies. I should have gone to Game today to collect it but I can't be arsed after doing a load of stuff this morning (that includes playing loads of Mario Odyssey). I'll be popping in tomorrow to get it. WWII is £32 trade in. I have a download code for Assassins Creed Origins with it too - I haven't enjoyed many of those games - only Brotherhood and Black Flag - is it worth me using that code and playing it or would I be better off selling that on?

Origins has good reviews, but as it's an Xbox One X showcase game I'm sure you can find someone who'll give you £30 for it

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

I'd sell it on. GAME are still doing their extra 30% trade in thing if you pre order something. Can always cancel and get your £5 deposit back. Should get you an extra £9.60 trade in on CoD.

https://www.cdkeys.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-xbox-one

PUBG - Digital Code £21.49

You can get an extra £1.07 off if you are a new customer and enter your email via this page. Must use login account for code to be valid: https://www.facebook.com/cdkeyscom/app/393344207416996/?ref=page_internal

Code might not be delivered until close to the release date, 12th Dec

playerunknown_s_battlegrounds_xbox_one_c

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Cex are doing £35 cash for COD. 

I’m thinking about picking up that bundle myself, but I want Origins for PS4. Might hold out for a better deal on Black Friday. 

The Xbox version of Hand of Fate 2 has been delayed from it's release date of tomorrow (7th) to later this month due to a certification bug. via the dev's twitter page.

So I've unboxed my One S and plugged it all in. Boom! 1 gig update as soon as it is out of the box. I suppose I'll play Mario while I'm waiting. Traded in WWII, bought the kids a copy of Minecraft and I have a download code for Assassins Creed Origins. I dread to think how long that is going to take to download.

My kids can't play Minecraft as that needs a 1 gig update after Assassins Creed finishes.

I got the 1 month game pass codeand I've activated it but it seems confusing - some of the game are listed as "Free" (Mad Max for example) but when you go to the game page, it then states it's 20% rather than "free". 

The dashboard is horrific - I'm used to my Nintendo Switch (and a Wii U) so the menu on this seems all over the shop.

One of the two controllers I got had the right bumper button jammed so I had to basically click it out - it was basically scrolling right constantly. I'm not moaning for the sake of moaning but Jesus, that would have cost about £50 if it wasn't bundled and compared to the Switch Pro controller, it feels flimsy and cheap.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, neoELITE said:

So I've unboxed my One S and plugged it all in. Boom! 1 gig update as soon as it is out of the box. I suppose I'll play Mario while I'm waiting. Traded in WWII, bought the kids a copy of Minecraft and I have a download code for Assassins Creed Origins. I dread to think how long that is going to take to download.

My kids can't play Minecraft as that needs a 1 gig update after Assassins Creed finishes.

I got the 1 month game pass codeand I've activated it but it seems confusing - some of the game are listed as "Free" (Mad Max for example) but when you go to the game page, it then states it's 20% rather than "free". 

The dashboard is horrific - I'm used to my Nintendo Switch (and a Wii U) so the menu on this seems all over the shop.

One of the two controllers I got had the right bumper button jammed so I had to basically click it out - it was basically scrolling right constantly. I'm not moaning for the sake of moaning but Jesus, that would have cost about £50 if it wasn't bundled and compared to the Switch Pro controller, it feels flimsy and cheap.

HAHAHA, this was my same WTF at picking up a reset One S a few weeks ago...my "500gb" hard drive was soon full up...dashboard finally updated so it's a bit better, but everytime I switch it on it's updating something, even some tiny Games With Gold indie game. Good luck!

15 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Is it horrific or do you just need to spend some time with it because it's different?

RE: Game Pass and Mad Max...

When you sign up to Game Pass you also get the option to permanently purchase all games in the game pass list at 20% off. There should still be an active download (I can't remember if it's just 'install' or 'get' but all games in the list are free to download)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Revival said:

Is it horrific or do you just need to spend some time with it because it's different?

RE: Game Pass and Mad Max...

When you sign up to Game Pass you also get the option to permanently purchase all games in the game pass list at 20% off. There should still be an active download (I can't remember if it's just 'install' or 'get' but all games in the list are free to download)

In comparison to the Switch, it's horrific. I understand that it's a games console with Skype, a set-top box UI, internet browser, has a load of apps etc. but the Switch menu is minimalist as it is literally just games with the e-shop underneath. I will get used to it but I loved the 360 menu system as it was obvious where you were going and where things were. I will have a play around with it over the next few days.

Thanks for the info re: the game pass system.

• Upvote 2

The latest update is much, much better. If you think it’s bad just be thankful you didn’t experience the previous iterations. You’ll get used to it after a while, but it works really well when you know where everything is, IMO.