rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Cheers for the help, guys (Yoshimax excepted). As my present Xbox One is my home console, I presume all I need to do is log in to the new one and just download what I want to play and don't set it as the home one?

Also, what happens with things like EA Access? Does that stretch across multiple consoles?

1 hour ago, APM said:

Cheers for the help, guys (Yoshimax excepted). As my present Xbox One is my home console, I presume all I need to do is log in to the new one and just download what I want to play and don't set it as the home one?

Yes. It's dead easy.

Everything you own digitally is tied to two things:

1) Your gamer account
2) Your licensed console

At least ONE of these two things must be present for the content license to work.

So if you sign in on ANY console, you can download and play your stuff (because your account holds the license).

Also, ANYONE can play your downloaded stuff on your licensed console, because the console holds the license.

You can change the licensed console by changing your "Home Xbox" on the Xbox One, or by performing a "license transfer" on a 360. However, you are prevented from doing this too frequently.

1 hour ago, APM said:

Also, what happens with things like EA Access? Does that stretch across multiple consoles?

Yeah, I think memberships and subscriptions work in the same way as everything else. My friend and I did the "home console swapsie" and I seem to have his EA Access available, and he was playing online when I was the only one with a gold account.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JPL said:

Why don’t they do a family sharing plan? Surely there are plenty of families out there with more than two consoles in the house.

This was the original plan for digital only games that you could share them with up to 10 friends but we didn't want that remember.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

This was the original plan for digital only games that you could share them with up to 10 friends but we didn't want that remember.

Was that the plan? I remember it being incredibly vague as to how the game sharing thing actually worked, and any explanatory statements by senior Xbox people just muddied the waters further. I seem to recall someone saying that the 10 friends thing was for a time-limited demo of the game, or something. Sharing a game with 10 friends doesn't sound like a very good idea from a business perspective.

yeah, it was just 2nd hand games they were going to clamp down on, and we all remember how that worked out for MS...

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games.  You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

• Upvote 4

Sounds very similar to Valve's implementation, main account has full access, one other can play the games if you aren't using it, unless Microsoft were going to go further and allow 2 people to both access the shared library while online at the same time.

This probably still isn't what most people want, which is to buy one copy which magically replicates itself for free across multiple devices and can be accessed simultaneously without restrictions.

3 minutes ago, mushashi said:

This probably still isn't what most people want, which is to buy one copy which magically replicates itself for free across multiple devices and can be accessed simultaneously without restrictions.

I just want a solution to having 2 boys, with 3 consoles in the house. I'd happily pay extra for that service, but as it is I'm going to be a bit knackered. They should do what Apple do with app store purchases - buy it once, anyone in the family can download it and use it whenever they want.

If even Valve, the consumer champion has done this type of service in a way that is so highly restrictive (there's even a petition complaining about it that they have completely ignored), I wouldn't hold out hope for anybody else hosting fullprice games to do much better, Sony's earlier implementation was abused and not used in the way intended a lot of the time so they killed it.

Apple aren't in the business of caring about software devs, software is there to drive their lucrative hardware sales still so they'll happily fuck over their suppliers in favour of themselves, just like they have done to the other media industries they've provided a market place for.

If you haven’t already got the Horizon 2 Fast and Furious stand-alone game it’s currently stupidly cheap and well worth the price. :)

24 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

Is there any software on the Bone that lets you edit clips that you've recorded?

Upload studio

When you buy UWP apps, I believe they're shared across your family setup, right? Which is up to 5 people, neatly tying into O365 family. Perhaps this Xbox stuff will be the same.

Enabled purchased apps can do the same thing on Android, since earlier this summer.

I just redeemed an Xbox Live trial and my console is still unable to sign in to Live. 

Anyone else had this? 

Just now, Wahwah* said:

I just redeemed an Xbox Live trial and my console is still unable to sign in to Live. 

Anyone else had this? 

You’re not eligible for a trial?

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Trials only work with new accounts I think.

They definitely used to work, I used one on an account that had lapsed a few years ago. 

Weirdly, my Live Subscription said valid until 3/11 just now, but I still couldn't connect.

I think that a system used to let you make a certain number of accounts that would be granted a month's trial and that people would go through multiple gamertags to do so - those trials only worked with new gamertags is how I understand it. I never did that myself, but that's what I remember from reading about people doing it on here.

Bought a sub on the Dash in the end. £26.50 - cheaper than from CDkeys, etc.

7 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Bought a sub on the Dash in the end. £26.50 - cheaper than from CDkeys, etc.

Places like CDKeys have been shit for about a year now. Nothing like the massive discounts you used to get.

• Upvote 1

How can I see how long I've got left on my subscription? I got my Xbone about this time last year, but I think I used a trial code and then got a 12 month code off cdkeys...

@Wahwah*£26.50 seems pretty cheap, was that an offer or is that standard price?