rllmuk
mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Errr chaps, why did no one tell me that Titanfall is the best game ever??

I have played it before but never really properly learnt the classes etc but a mate has just got an xbone and has been raving about this so had a long session today - freaking love it!

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I have played it before but never really properly learnt the classes etc but a mate has just got an xbone and has been raving about this so had a long session today - freaking love it!

Because it wasn't on...

We should try to set a forum game up at some point, particularly since it's on EA Access and there are many more Bone users now.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, footle said:

Because it wasn't on...

We should try to set a forum game up at some point, particularly since it's on EA Access and there are many more Bone users now.

I have it with EA access - seems to be all the DLC too :o

5 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I'm having a nightmare trying to stream videos from my PC to my Xbox One.

On the PC, if I right click on the video and choose 'cast to device', the Xbox doesn't appear in the list of devices.

On the Xbox, if I go to media player, it says it can't find any devices either, and asks me to start a DLNA server on my PC. I've tried to follow instructions to do that, but the first step is always 'go to network and sharing center and enable sharing', but sharing is already enabled on my Windows 10 PC, so I can't do that.

If I open the Xbox app on my PC, I can stream games fine, so there's definitely a connection being made between my PC and my Xbox.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to set it up so that it'll work?

I don't know if this post does you any good at all, but I've found that so far the Xbox One plays anything you throw at it. So if you have a spare USB drive kicking around just put your stuff on there and plug it straight into the console.

Thanks. I got it working by installing Universal Media Server on my PC. Now I can watch Spectre on my TV and be massively disappointed in it, based on what people have told me.

Not much chatter here on how MS is basically reinventing their entire business model and having the current console as just one of a range of devices that will run 'XBOX/Windows 10' games? Seems massive to me.

Everyone speechless, or is this one of those initiatives that will lead to not much in the end?

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

The man from the Guardian is making some interesting claims about what Microsoft presented at their recent press showcase. Seems UWP is indeed the future and consoles are going to become like mobile phones, I wonder if he interpreted what he was told correctly, that document was so on the money.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/01/microsoft-to-unify-pc-and-xbox-one-platforms-ending-fixed-console-hardware

Just read the Ars article for what Spencer said. I have to admit, they're saying all the right things for me to want to stay in this ecosystem, long term. I also liked that Turn 10 reckoned Forza could scale down to Intel GPUs, so if I have cross buy between my XB1 and Surface, I'm doubly in. I suppose it gives smaller devs incentive too, knowing they can deploy to both PCs and XB1 (and, presumably, future iterations of Xbox hardware). The latter may yield potential for Steam-like hoovering up of older titles in the future.

Also, getting out the crystal ball for a moment, imagine that, eventually dedicated consoles go away (or aren't front and centre, at least). If all this translates to universal windows apps that can run on farms of virtual machines and be beamed using the streaming tech they already have on LAN, then you're future proofing yourself, somewhat, in a manner that seems to scale better than Gaikai. Windows 10 on your TV, or Xbox, or all-signing-and-dancing PC - you choose. It's all rather interesting.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Just read the Ars article for what Spencer said. I have to admit, they're saying all the right things for me to want to stay in this ecosystem, long term. I also liked that Turn 10 reckoned Forza could scale down to Intel GPUs, so if I have cross buy between my XB1 and Surface, I'm doubly in. I suppose it gives smaller devs incentive too, knowing they can deploy to both PCs and XB1 (and, presumably, future iterations of Xbox hardware). The latter may yield potential for Steam-like hoovering up of older titles in the future.

Also, getting out the crystal ball for a moment, imagine that, eventually dedicated consoles go away (or aren't front and centre, at least). If all this translates to universal windows apps that can run on farms of virtual machines and be beamed using the streaming tech they already have on LAN, then you're future proofing yourself, somewhat, in a manner that seems to scale better than Gaikai. Windows 10 on your TV, or Xbox, or all-signing-and-dancing PC - you choose. It's all rather interesting.

What about those of us that have used Macs for 20 years and bring up a little bit of sick at the thought of Windows? 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Pavey said:

What about those of us that have used Macs for 20 years and bring up a little bit of sick at the thought of Windows? 

Steam, buy a console, put on a brave face and install Parallels. I don't know, how do you play games now? And why on Earth should Microsoft's plans cater to Mac owners, beyond bootcamp support (assuming it's them and not Apple that provide it)?

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Steam, buy a console, put on a brave face and install Parallels. I don't know, how do you play games now? And why on Earth should Microsoft's plans cater to Mac owners, beyond bootcamp support (assuming it's them and not Apple that provide it)?

Or just get a PS4 or whatever, while I have installed win10 onto one of the Macs I can't see myself buying a gaming PC again or a machine running windows - are they just not going to cater for this admitably small part of the market who used to buy the consoles?

This is of course assuming Xbox as hardware goes away and you imagine its not too far fetched!

I for one look forward to rising from the gutters of console peasant to Xbox Master Race where I can bang on about resolution and ambient occlusion to hide the massive elephants of lack of first party support and mediocre releases which are smashing up the room.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Or just get a PS4 or whatever, while I have installed win10 onto one of the Macs I can't see myself buying a gaming PC again or a machine running windows - are they just not going to cater for this admitably small part of the market who used to buy the consoles?

This is of course assuming Xbox as hardware goes away and you imagine its not too far fetched!

When we're all Google Fiber/5G, or equivalent, perhaps end game is to let people who need PCs get PCs, and everyone else just stream games from Azure. Not that they've said this, but it's no longer a leap. Maybe Azure farms are more cost effective than console R&D. Someone will be along shortly to correct me with numbers.

Anyone know if you own the original Ori and the Blind Forest will we get the Definitive edition free, or as a special upgrade price or what?

According to Moon Studio's there's a 'small' cost to upgrade to the definitive version if you own the original.

-----------

I'm not really sure what to make of the news that Xbox hardware could see incremental upgrades. Surely consumers buy consoles for ease of use, simplicity and well optimised software? If they wanted a gaming pc they'd buy one.

One thing's for sure this years E3 could be incredible for reveals.

• Upvote 1

It's the apple model brought to consoles. Hopefully with less of the system update not available for this model shit that killed apple for me. 

Finally the name makes sense at least.

12 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

It's the apple model brought to consoles. Hopefully with less of the system update not available for this model shit that killed apple for me. 

Finally the name makes sense at least.

OS X El Capitan supports the last 7-9 years of Mac hardware. IOS 9 the last 5 years of iPhones and iPads. 

• Upvote 1

I had an ipod touch, effectively useless for new software within 3 years of buying it. Good news for the Bone if you were looking to re-assure me though.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, my games available to download bit has disappeared from the end of where my games are on the games dashboard. Is there an option to hide / unhide this bit?

It has been very flakey lately for me. Sometimes you just have to wait an age and eventually it will populate again. Though it seemed to stop working altogether when they were having the DDOS attacks the other day.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Gee, if only you'd been in the official thread at anytime since it came out... it's superb! I'm up for games, add me up if we aren't friends on Bone.

• Upvote 2

So 360 games being purchaseable from the console store should mean we can go international for them and use loaded credit? That would be very nice.

The whole dash is consistently flaky for me. Remember my whole saga about not being signed in, and then the tiles not working? I'm always signed in now (didn't change anything at my end), but random bits of the dash won't work. Sometimes tiles, sometimes the bits towards the top, sometimes the stuff to download. Triggers+Y fixes it, but it's uncharacteristically gash from MS. Finding the same thing on Win 10 on my SP3, little things here and there not working, like the email live tile.

Also, is anyone finding that despite the ability to manually order pinned tiles, whenever you run a game/app, it always puts that one to the front, gradually undoing all the manual configuration? 

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Also, is anyone finding that despite the ability to manually order pinned tiles, whenever you run a game/app, it always puts that one to the front, gradually undoing all the manual configuration? 

It won't make you feel any better but I don't get this.  My pins stay exactly where I put them (I'm using them to manage my pile of shame).

I do get the flaky performance in other areas of the dash but a hard rest usually fixes those.  Agree that the dash is unusually variable in it's performance for Microsoft.