mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Another happy punter here. I was ready to be sceptical despite laying down the best part of £500 but I'm very happy with the opening weekend.

- Kinect really is very clever, especially with QR code redemption. Glad to see the back of typing in 25 digit codes.

- Really like the DVR features and the editor is very clever. Nice to see what friends are posting

- Can't believe how quiet the console is, a couple of time I thought it had crashed because it is effectively silent

- Dead Rising 3 has exceeded my expectations, especially with the smartphone/tablet app integration

For balance, a few downers

- cheapskate lack of rechargeable controller battery out of the box

- NFS Rivals doesn't feel very next gen

- download sizes will be prohibitive for us country dwellers with slow broadband (sold my Forza code, unused)

And mainly, what's next? Long wait for Titanfall?

However the only real downer for me with the UI is the friends/chat implementation. With 360 it was just a button press to your friends list and another to invite. Now it's a real pain with the chat/parties being run via the games themselves and not via machine especially when it creates a party in Battlefield when I'm now playing Forza. (sorry Wahwah!). It's just not intuitive at all and Ive not fully got my head around it and why they've ruined one if the strongest parts of the Xbox experience. Notifications when people come online and in games - seemingly gone. Voice messaging too.

What's happening to Xbox?! This is the sort of thing they were best at, by far.

Is this setup at the start or something I have to do myself through the settings.

Just hold a hand up and it'll appear on the screen, and do a sharp 'press' inwards to select something (I was completely over-compensating in pushing in really far at first, which is unneccessary). If you hold two hands up and pull them together it'll minimise to the home screen. For some inexplicable reason I think the only tutorial for any of this was a part of Kinect Sports.

I'll say it again; there's a genuinely good Kinect Voice tutorial as part of the app store, I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't part of the OS setup itself and if anyone's struggling they should grab it. Basically you're able to select anything, on any menu, by using the "Xbox Select" command, and this works for apps like Netflix as well.

Would the Wii Fit crowd really have been interested? They're not buying the Wii U...

I think you've misunderstood a bit, I'm talking about the people that bought Wii Fit in droves and ensured it was sold out for near enough six months straight. Why would they buy a Wii U, isn't it 'just' a gaming console? I'm not aware of any non-gaming applications it has, other than the obvious like Netflix.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's happening to Xbox?! This is the sort of thing they were best at, by far.

I was on my 360 earlier and I was surprised how little interplay there is between users on the Xbone and the 360. On the 360 about all you can do is tell someone is on the Xbone, you can't see what they're playing, can't even look at their achievements and cross-console party chat doesn't exist. I thought this would be something MS pushed in terms if having an Xbox Live ecosystem.

Anyone having issues with SmartGlass not finding their console? Even entering the IP doesn't work. I have a feeling it might be related to the fact the NAT says moderate rather than open? How do I open my NAT? (BT Home Hub)

Anyone having issues with SmartGlass not finding their console? Even entering the IP doesn't work. I have a feeling it might be related to the fact the NAT says moderate rather than open? How do I open my NAT? (BT Home Hub)

Are you using the latest Xbox One version of SmartGlass, rather than the old one? Your NAT shouldn't matter because it no longer connects to your router, it's connecting to a built-in wifi transmitter instead.

?

The PS4 cases all mention resolution and what not whereas on the XB1 cases, no such info is displayed.

It's even more glaring if you look up said images on Google. More than a few PS4 game cases will pop up... XB1 cases, not so much.

Why on earth is there a Kinect voice control tutorial hidden away as something that you have to download separately from the app store? It should be the very first thing you see when you turn it on. It's a shame because the Kinect navigation genuinely works incredibly well once you understand it, but you need to know the proper commands.

Whilst I'm having a waffle the layout of the Netflix app is worse than the old one as well, which is particularly weird as they've just redesigned the 360 version and it's far better than it was.

The games and pad are fantastic though, it's a great bit of kit but I can definitely see the UI being slightly tweaked over the next few months, it's nearly there but there's just a handful of things that are too much of a faff right now.

If you say Xbox, then a small panel comes up from the bottom of the screen telling you what the commands are.

We have two accounts on mine and it signs us in automatically depending on who's in the room, and who's holding the pad. It's surprisingly accurate as we're both bearded and sitting about six feet away.

If the Kinect isn't recognising you, trying clicking on your gamer picture at the top of the home screen and select 'Kinect didn't recognise me' (or whatever it says) under your profile.

Yeah, but that wasn't what he was asking about. He wanted to turn the console in and have it automatically log in to a profile without relying on Kinect or the controller.

Another happy punter here. I was ready to be sceptical despite laying down the best part of £500 but I'm very happy with the opening weekend.

-

- download sizes will be prohibitive for us country dwellers with slow broadband (sold my Forza code, unused)

And mainly, what's next? Long wait for Titanfall?

March. Then watchdogs, Spring.

If you say Xbox, then a small panel comes up from the bottom of the screen telling you what the commands are.

Yeah, but that wasn't what he was asking about. He wanted to turn the console in and have it automatically log in to a profile without relying on Kinect or the controller.

Without using kinect or the controller?

That'll be the button on the front of the Xbox then...

Still haven't cracked the seals on Forz, Fifa, DR and COD. I tried a bit of BF/Ryse but it's all about NFS and KI - sooooo good.

The Weekend just evaporated, today is catching up with sleep day.

"Xbox turn off" :)

• Upvote 7

Hmmm. My kinect seems to have stopped responding to my voice 80% of the time.

When I first got it, it would respond no problem. Now I can shout xbox 9 or 10 times before it responds, and then it doesn't recognise the command I'm giving it so it times out and stops listening.

I've not changed anything, I wonder why it's doing it.

Are you using the latest Xbox One version of SmartGlass, rather than the old one? Your NAT shouldn't matter because it no longer connects to your router, it's connecting to a built-in wifi transmitter instead.

Yeah it is the new Xbox One SmartGlass. Does the NAT matter for anything?

Hmmm. My kinect seems to have stopped responding to my voice 80% of the time.

When I first got it, it would respond no problem. Now I can shout xbox 9 or 10 times before it responds, and then it doesn't recognise the command I'm giving it so it times out and stops listening.

I've not changed anything, I wonder why it's doing it.

It probably can't hear you. Go back into settings and redo the sound settings for kinetic.

The PS4 cases all mention resolution and what not whereas on the XB1 cases, no such info is displayed.

It's even more glaring if you look up said images on Google. More than a few PS4 game cases will pop up... XB1 cases, not so much.

Oh right, that is pretty funny.

• Upvote 2