mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

If it's not always connected what about "The Cloud"?

We'll just need to see how many games look differently when they can't offload physics,ai etc to "the cloud" - my guess - not a single one of them :)

If it's not always connected what about "The Cloud"?

It was never always connected. It always had just a requirement to be connected every 24 hours, so games could never rely on the cloud for anything other than explicit online features (such as multiplayer). This isn't a big change for games devs.

A lot of tech blogs are spinning this as MS taking their console back to the Xbox 360 era. Nobody is making the same remarks about the PS4.

What a disaster.

It's a good thing that they're ditching the awful anti consumer DRM, but make no mistake, this is Microsoft through and through - looking at whatever their competitors are doing and blindly copying it. This is not listening to their customers, this is watching the reaction to Sony and looking at the preorders and thinking "shit, we'd better do that too!"

Yep

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/20/xbox-ones-drm-u-turn-thank-sony-not-the-core/

The hilarious truth is that Microsoft was listening to Sony, was listening to approval for PS4 and what it could mean for Xbox in financial terms. Sony was driving the Xbox team into a situation where it was sure to launch with little momentum, a disastrous state of affairs endured by PS3. You can thank Sony’s aggression at E3 for Microsoft’s prostration yesterday. Maybe PlayStation’s passion for slamming Xbox’s head into the kerb was a little too ebullient. If Sony hadn’t been so bloodthirsty, we would never have seen the intense anti-Xbox reaction over E3 week or the subsequent pre-order shifts. And, in all likelihood, we would never have seen Microsoft change its DRM stance on Xbox One.

• Upvote 2

Anyone remember when they were young and were forced by their parents to eat food that was good for them?Many on here will have rebelled at being forced to do something, even if it was good for themOther people will have parents who didnt force them but, instead, persuaded (by one method or another) their children to eat the same foodIm not saying Xbox One was good food, but regardless of how good it is, they were never going to succeed with such a bullish (bullying) approach to gamersAs for the multiple problems price? Yeap, too much. DRM/ownership I agree with most of the people arguing against it but in reality Im reasonably happy to download a game and accept the license restrictions with one exceptionIn no universe, this or parallel, am I ever going to accept that I cant play games on my machine just because my internet (or their side) is down. I accept I cant play WoW in this situation, and I accept I am missing out on the online aspects of Dark Souls but you tell me I cant play Dark Souls at all because of someones dodgy connectionAbsolute fantasy and arraogance of highest order

(I have no idea why all of the paragraph formatting in that last post of mine went AWOL - sorry guys)

They love physical discs again, now that they aren't just a way of holding a single licence.

IGN - Xbox One Will Require Day One Update

"But as part of making the changes to allow you to use physical discs the way that you do today, what’s going to happen is your online games and your physical games will work like they do today. That does mean that features like Family Sharing won’t be there. Another example that we think is awesome is that when you move to any Xbox One, the ability to see all of your games in your Games Library. While you’ll clearly only see the ones that you downloaded online, you’d have to bring your physical discs for the other ones.”

“We actually think physical discs drive a lot of really positive things,” Whitten told us. “The truth is, games are really big, and the ability to get them down quickly and have them there and play them is key. The ability to go into a store and see a wall of games, to get people to tell you about which games are great and to be able to flip them over and understand them and browse is really great. So actually, we love physical discs. We love being able to use those.”

All hail the return of the physical disc! (except for CarloOos)

• Downvote 1

From that VG247 quote:

If Sony hadn’t been so bloodthirsty, we would never have seen the intense anti-Xbox reaction over E3 week or the subsequent pre-order shifts.

I don't agree with this at all. It was all Sony's fault that the Xbox's previously loyal fanbase turned against it? Nope, that was entirely MS' own doing.

• Upvote 4

What's bloodthirsty about standing up on a stage, telling people you're not going to screw them over, and then smiling like you just bought the moon?

• Upvote 1

From that VG247 quote:

I don't agree with this at all. It was all Sony's fault that the Xbox's previously loyal fanbase turned against it? Nope, that was entirely MS' own doing.

VG247 were the ones that had the article saying that we were going to buy the Xbone because of Halo 5. Even though all we've seen is a teaser trailer. Idiots.

Not at all surprising really. It will be interesting to see if people will forgive them now, or if they've already burned all their goodwill. Theres going to be a lingering fear that they might try and force this on people again with a system update in a year or two once everyone has invested in the hardware

Yeah, this is all quite incredible when you think about it, really one of the most remarkable policy shifts I think I've ever seen from a company. I don't really know where this leaves the Xbone now though. On the one hand, credit to them for listening to consumer feedback (or panicking at the preorder numbers) and reversing their policy, on the other hand, this whole episode makes those in charge of the Xbox business look utterly incompetent, lacking in either foresight and/or conviction.

Their messaging has been abysmal around the entire product so far, and I imagine the stink from this episode will travel with them for many months to come.

That said, it was the right thing to do now, and I'm happy that those who want to buy the Xbone can do without having to also support such pernicious new policies.

The best way for the new consoles to combat the sale of second hand games is to make their digital sales more appealing. For a start they need to be noticeably cheaper than retail. If the consumer is asked to surrender the resale value inherent to the physical product, then part of that value needs to be there straight away. The sweet spot for me would be £29.99 for new digital games. They could also make many of the Xbone's planned game sharing features available only to games bought digitally, and if 24hr checking are mandatory for that sort of feature to work, then fine, but make that feature dependent on the check, don't hang the complete system functionality on it.

With the withdrawal of the mandatory 24hr check and its associated features, a large part of the consoles identity has gone, and the problem MS now face, is how do they convince gamers to invest in Xbox One, when their competition is essentially offering a cheaper more powerful variant of their own offering, sans a divisive bundled camera.

This generation has certainly got off to an interesting start though!

Agree with that, the messaging was fucked up, they tossed all this drm and online only stuff at us without showing us why it was cool and what we got out of it. They should sack their whole pr and sales team as this was a fuck up unlike any other in device history. As you say if they came out day one and said well this is drm online and if you buy digital games will be £30 or less alot of people wouldve weighed that offer up, they werent going to do that it was pretty clear they were going to hide behind well retail charge this so we need to be in line with that like they do now with psn and xbox live full games. I was getting one as i like games but it was an investment i was really flip flopping on.

From that VG247 quote:

He's not saying that, but he is confusing anti-Xbox with pro-Sony. That's practically the same thing to MS though, if they see a competitor achieve any success they directly assume a lost sale and go about copying whatever gained their competitor that success in the hope of replicating it. See: Every single thing Microsoft has ever done.

What's bloodthirsty about standing up on a stage, telling people you're not going to screw them over, and then smiling like you just bought the moon?

Tretton went directly after every MS DRM policy in a point-by-point powerpoint presentation, and milked it for all it was worth. It was beautiful *wipes tear from eye*

VG247 were the ones that had the article saying that we were going to buy the Xbone because of Halo 5. Even though all we've seen is a teaser trailer. Idiots.

That's a contrarian opinion piece written by a staff writer there (a different one I might add) designed to generate debate and clicks. They don't write in the collective form, EDGE style. Pat Garratt knows his shit.

That's a contrarian opinion piece written by a staff writer there (a different one I might add) designed to generate debate and clicks. They don't write in the collective form, EDGE style. Pat Garratt knows his shit.

Glad to see he's found a new niche now the lucrative Billy the Kid market has dried up.
  • Upvote 4

The weirdest thing about how smug you've been acting is how sure you seem that I don't understand what I'm talking about, when it's abundantly clear that you're the one who's been confused by this concept. The rest of us have been having a perfectly rational conversation about the whole issue.

Anyway the real win here if that they've got rid of the daily check-ups on the host console. I'll be curious to see if the games are still tied to your account in any way, or whether they've just ditched that whole approach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The weirdest thing about your smug you've been acting was how sure you seemed that I didn't understand what I was talking about, when it's abundantly clear that you're the one who's been confused by this concept. The rest of us have been having a perfectly rational conversation about the whole issue.

They've been saying the same thing as I have CarloOos, in the same way, but for some reason my 'smug' has risen me to the top of your list as solo one-man dick. Have another read of the threads, because your head is muddled with the good news we got last night.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

You've been taking this whole thing far more personally than I have, but considering that the last post of yours that I actually saw said "physical discs aren't a 'digital license on a throwaway plate'", which was quite clearly the whole point of this entire system, I'd suggest that you're the one who's been muddled.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Glad to see he's found a new niche now the lucrative Billy the Kid market has dried up.

Don't you make fun of Pat Garratt, he's got a GMA award and everything!

The weirdest thing about your smug you've been acting was how sure you seemed that I didn't understand what I was talking about, when it's abundantly clear that you're the one who's been confused by this concept. The rest of us have been having a perfectly rational conversation about the whole issue.

Anyway the real win here if that they've got rid of the daily check-ups on the host console. I'll be curious to see if the games are still tied to your account in any way, or whether they've just ditched that whole approach.

digital buys are, discs arent.

but considering that the last post of yours that I actually saw said "physical discs aren't a 'digital license on a throwaway plate'", which was quite clearly the whole point of this entire system, I'd suggest that you're the one who's been muddled.

CarloOos, the last post you saw by me was this one:

They love physical discs again, now that they aren't just a way of holding a single licence.

IGN - Xbox One Will Require Day One Update

"But as part of making the changes to allow you to use physical discs the way that you do today, what’s going to happen is your online games and your physical games will work like they do today. That does mean that features like Family Sharing won’t be there. Another example that we think is awesome is that when you move to any Xbox One, the ability to see all of your games in your Games Library. While you’ll clearly only see the ones that you downloaded online, you’d have to bring your physical discs for the other ones.”

“We actually think physical discs drive a lot of really positive things,” Whitten told us. “The truth is, games are really big, and the ability to get them down quickly and have them there and play them is key. The ability to go into a store and see a wall of games, to get people to tell you about which games are great and to be able to flip them over and understand them and browse is really great. So actually, we love physical discs. We love being able to use those.”

you just replied to it!

You've been taking this whole thing far more personally than I have

Replying to you in a few threads is 'taking it personally'? :lol:

If my posts to you are making you trawl back through all my posts to prove some point, and make me seem muddled, I think I'd better stop engaging with you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Well I remembered the quote in question because it had the unfortunate double-whammy of being both incredibly patronising and also spectacularly wrong, completely undermining yourself. But with regards to taking things personally, just to be clear you are the one who's just mentioned me by name out of the blue and accused yourself of being "top of my list as solo one-man dick", whatever the hell that means. But anyway, this is total nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Microsoft wanted to conquer the digital market with the XBone, they should have designed it with full backwards compatibility and allow people to "import" their 360 library to the cloud. That way, most would already have a sizeable library of games to choose from going pure digital, and the transition from discs to pure digital would be a lot less painful.

That, and don't force Kinect on people. Seriously.

Absolutely. These two things (or at least in respect of the second point, the 'always on' nature of the Kinect) means I won't get one at launch and may not get one at all.

Pffft.<br /><br />I genuinely feel that the bone could still win this next gen. I thought that before too but one of the problems would have been when the mass market got confused about trading their games. Now that hurdle has been removed.<br /><br />Anyway, here are some of the reasons I feel it could end up winning.<br /><br />It has a huge following from 360 fans. A friend on facebook was upset about the no second hand but will be sure to get one now I think.<br /><br />The power difference really doesn't seem as great as people suggested it might be and if anything the bone games seem more impressive right now in terms of frames and stuff. Maybe the multi format games will have more particles on the PS4 but Brian Codfifa won't care about that.<br /><br />The price. This sounds odd, but a lot of people may assume that the pricier machine is the better one and how many game employees will tell anyone different? It's the Apple premium idea again.<br /><br />Lastly, availability. If they can get a lot of machines out I think they could take advantage of Xmas quite well. Sony may have more preorders but when it comes to xmas and people are buying their kids a game machine, if the Sony one isn't there are they going to wait? No, they'll get the bone that's readily available. I know this point is a little odd but I'm trying to explain that whatever has more orders now doesn't mean the other won't pick up sales from those that miss out, especially at xmas when the pressure is on to at least buy something.<br /><br /><br />I know a lot of that is easily dismissed and I haven't explained it very well but it's just some of my thoughts. I'll be getting a PS4 but I decided on that long before either machine was announced. I just fancied a change from my 360.