mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread

Windows 8 as the OS will be a huge boon. Metro apps cross compatible across phone, PC, tablet and console?

It'll probably be shit though.

Edit - thanks for the neg earlier whoever that was, fucking dumbass. Yes I genuinely thought that MS rolled all the 360 components off the line without testing any of them, of course :rolleyes: Humourless twunk.

QUICK HE SAID NEGS LETS NEG HIM. Oh rllmuk, your tired sense of indignant, impotent irony never ceases to amuse.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 13

$1bn is not pocket change to MS. If they can avoid that cost, and attendent bad publicity, they will.

I can't seem them not thinking through the design this time.

• Upvote 1

From what I recall of the stories at the time, the engineering department knew full well about the problem, it was just nobody knew just how endemic the design flaw was going to be.

Haha yeah right. Sixteen consoles is a bit of an exaggeration I reckon. I can see why ALL parties don't want another RROD-gate though.

The 360 is so refinded now in what it does, i cant be arsed to start from scratch again. I'd lose my razor pad, im sure backwards compatibilty will be fucked somehow, the interface will be buggy and lack features. Look at the first gen of 360 games, they look fucking awful now, like a previous gen. The launch was so dry that people were eying up Far Cry 360 as the first decent FPS on the system. We were cooing over the water effects which now look like almost a joke.

Maybe its old age but ive got plenty of back catalogue to play, ive no interest in paying 300 quid to beta test some new hardware again.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

We always say "no, I'll wait this time, I don't need next gen just yet".

When the time comes though we all rush out or "cave in", just because of an amazing real time demo and some shitty launch games, which at first we will defend, later we'll bury and years after we'll use them again as an excuse to buy the next hardware.

Man, we must be so predictable for companies and we thInk we are all awesome, judging everything and "deciding". :)

• Upvote 5

As far as controls go, I don't think microsoft have any interest in pushing console gaming past the evolutionary rut it's in, but if they did do something interesting with the controller, I'd be there day one.

Urgh, please no. I don't want no new controller and other gimmicky shit. Just give me a powerhouse of a system, the current 360 controller with maybe some slight tweaks, a BluRay type drive to store all those gigabytes and some games that play and look so good and shiny that they make my eyes melt. That's really all I need.

• Upvote 6

I seriously doubt it will be a traditional powerhouse console, when we get specs they will initially look very impressive but a fair proportion will be reserved for non gaming functions, this will be the all in media console people have talked about since 3DO.

I also have my doubts, that's why I've resurrected my PC and got back into PC gaming. If the next wave of consoles disappoint as much as I fear, I'll invest the cash I would reserve for a new console in PC upgrades instead and wait a couple of pricecuts before lapping up the consoles and their must-have exclusives at a later date at for half the money or so.

It's more about the downloadables for me. Sony still have a good deck of exclusives due to their first party studios, though they appear to be shutting then down alarmingly quickly.

Third parties are not interested in exclusivity when user bases run into tens of millions as the lost sales are not offset by the pay off. At the start of a new console generation though they may be more tempted again.

It all depends how deep Sony/MS dig, and what they do with their first party studios.

I think Sony are the ones to watch next gen, MS are relentlessly losing sight of what made the 360 good in the first place, whereas Sony seems to have doubled-down on stuff that somewhat matters to me. They have a nasty habit of repeating their mistakes however.

and what they do with their first party studios.

This is why I'm more likely to buy a PS4 on day one than a 720. Of course, anything can happen, but at the moment the first-party stuff from MS, which had been quite impressive up until a few years ago, has become very stale and uninteresting as far as I'm concerned. Another Forza, another Fable, another same old Halo, kinect kinect kinect -yawn. While Sony seems to pump out must-have exclusives on a regular basis, games which often dare to be different and/or aren't sequels to established IPs.

But who knows, the launch line-up of the 720 might impress the fuck out of me with shiny graphics and then I'll be there on day one.

Exactly.

I doubt the 720 will do anything you can't comfortably do on your PC, but we'll see. It's all about the exclusives!

Urgh, please no. I don't want no new controller and other gimmicky shit. Just give me a powerhouse of a system, the current 360 controller with maybe some slight tweaks, a BluRay type drive to store all those gigabytes and some games that play and look so good and shiny that they make my eyes melt. That's really all I need.

You already own one of those! :D

I really miss the first couple of dashboards. Finding my arcade games seems a fucking maze in itself now. Plus the older dashboard with the 4 slides looked so much sleeker in comparison. It still had it's faults but was better then whatever this shit is now that tries it's hardest to hide the fact it's a console.

It all depends how deep Sony/MS dig, and what they do with their first party studios.

I think Sony are the ones to watch next gen, MS are relentlessly losing sight of what made the 360 good in the first place, whereas Sony seems to have doubled-down on stuff that somewhat matters to me. They have a nasty habit of repeating their mistakes however.

I don't really think MS have. They've just followed the model laid out by the PS2. Hardcore mostly for the first two - three years, then ramp up the family friendly stuff after the price has dropped with things like Singstar/dancing games/eyetoy type stuff (lips/Dance Central/Kinect).

I don't really think MS have. They've just followed the model laid out by the PS2. Hardcore mostly for the first two - three years, then ramp up the family friendly stuff after the price has dropped with things like Singstar/dancing games/eyetoy type stuff (lips/Dance Central/Kinect).

They've completely lobotomised the UI to sell extraneous pay-per-view services and left gaming as an afterthought. Will they go back to basics with the 720? I don't think so. It was a trojan horse to get a Windows box under every TV in the developed world, which has long been the focus of MS. The problem they might face is that none of those extraneous services I've mentioned will be improved with the introduction of a new console, so they might have to court the hardcore as graphical prowess will be the only major benefit, short of a gimmick which sends the plebs wild like Kinect did.

Not really, games have to look a hell of a lot better than they do now to make my eyes melt. Even on a high end PC.

I think what'll happen is we'll see the new next-gen stuff and think it looks amazing (e.g. watch-dogs) but it'll actually run fine on the type of PC you and I have. The majority of development recently either prioritises a decade-old hardware spec, or isn't a big-budget game and goes the artstyle route. You can count on one hand the amount of games in the last few years which gave your PC a good workout. There's barely anything that I can't comfortably run with crazy amounts of AA. I'm really, really looking forward to the multiformat baseline spec taking a huge leap as we move towards next gen and new engines :)

• Downvote 1

They've completely lobotomised the UI to sell extraneous pay-per-view services and left gaming as an afterthought.

I wasn't talking about the UI or the dash or anything as the PS2 didn't have one so not really comparable. I was just discussing the focus they've had on software releases and the obvious model they have chosen to follow.

In other words, see my comment above in response to Angel in regards to the dash.

I think what'll happen is we'll see the new next-gen stuff and think it looks amazing (e.g. watch-dogs) but it'll actually run fine on the type of PC you and I have. The majority of development recently either prioritises a decade-old hardware spec, or isn't a big-budget game and goes the artstyle route. You can count on one hand the amount of games in the last few years which gave your PC a good workout.

Exactly. Nap will be pleasantly surprised when the games running on his PC start using high-quality assets instead of being designed and built with the lowest common denominator in mind - of course, I'm also assuming that he'll eventually get that 670 which has his name on it :P

I wasn't talking about the UI or the dash or anything as the PS2 didn't have one so not really comparable. I was just discussing the focus they've had on software releases and the obvious model they have chosen to follow.

I'm not really following you, sorry. The new hardware isn't ready yet, so they're spinning for time with Kinect and Smartglass etc. But the real point of the Xbox now is to feed subscription services and PPV into your living room. I'm not saying it isn't a brilliant games console (I think it's probably the best we've ever had, warts and all) but what Microsoft seem to think it is and what we consider it to be are worlds apart now. My opinion might be slightly coloured by seeing lots of other Microsoft stuff in my line of work, but to me it seems like the Xbox used to be the black sheep of the family, the cool distant stepchild who didn't join in with all the family events. And now it's been brought back into the fold, hard. Remember when Windows messenger became MSN messenger and they added all those shit animated smileys and ads and stuff? Like that!

Well, if the comments from Remedy are to believed it's quite a leap over current hardware.

I'll get my OC 670 tomorrow though, so I am set no matter what. :)

EDIT: that was in reply to Nap's post.

I'm not really following you, sorry. The new hardware isn't ready yet, so they're spinning for time with Kinect and Smartglass etc. But the real point of the Xbox now is to feed subscription services and PPV into your living room.

Well it is now, but that's because the roadmap laid out by the PS2 has ended and they don't really know what to do with it until the next console arrives. So they've settled on what we are seeing now.

Without trying to sound like a dick, I see quite a lot of internal MS documents about their roadmap and where their different devices and services tie together. They're certainly the great imitators of our time, but they know what they want to do with the 360. They might have aped the PS2 largely for the first half of the console lifespan, but they're not stuck for ideas on how to make money with it now. The trouble is, it all involves tie-ins with subs services I don't care about and an ecosystem I don't want to use.The next few years will be extremely interesting for MS, right across all their consumer products.

The leaked presentation from a while back looked quite promising and used a rudimentary version of the in-house presentation branding that all their current documents use (lots of metro stuff and politically correct stock photography!), so I'm really hoping parts of that vision make it to the next console.

If all the next-gen consoles turn out to be a wash, I'll keep on trucking with Steam.