mushashi

Xbox One Console Thread (s4Kiro)

Great post. Seriously though you want Battlefield, unlike Ghosts it's a hugely significant cut above what was previously possible and plays beautifully.

Cheers. The only reason I went for Ghosts is because I had 30-odd quid in MS credit (which I'd payed about a tenner for) and saw the 10 quid upgrade (digital) offer, which meant I got a few weeks on 360, followed by the XBOne version for less than forty quid. Still not a great deal, on reflection, but I was kinda committed to it once I'd paid for the 360 version. I'll possibly pick up BF4 at some point as well, but I'm not short of things to play at the minute and due to digital purchase don't have the option of a trade.

Apparently you should be careful not to swear when using Upload Studio as it can lead to a 24-hour Live ban.

This is understandable to some extent as uploads are apparently added to the community for all to see, but it's pretty ridiculous that there's no warning or option to flag your video as explicit so it can be filtered out. Granted one day won't kill you, but as the ban stops people from using Skype — heralded by the erroneous error message, "Because of your past behavior, you can't Xbox Live Gold is required to use Skype for Xbox One" — presumably that would extend to other Gold-bound services like Netflix, right?

I can only imagine the policy makers will die of heart attacks when Twitch streaming becomes available; that will be XBLA Uno writ large.

New Quantum Break footage in gif form. Looks promising:

Promising how? You mean you like the graphics, right?

You always do this Vemsie. You endlessly post of GIFs of graphics whore stuff for games and then say nothing when they come out and are mediocre.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 21

Well even in that 4-second gif we can see evidence of a time-shifting mechanic, which is at least something for a game we currently know nothing about. And it seems to have inherited that lush Alan Wake lighting engine.

kriessg... BATTLEFIELD. I need impressions man

I didn't jump on tonight to play with you all as it would mean cable swapping etc and I wanted more time with the One. My impressions still stand, I think the pad feels worse, my left palm gets a tad sore for some reason, like a cramp, not sure why as I'm not gripping tight. Plus the fact it's registering my finger just resting on the left trigger as me pressing it sometimes annoys me.

I'm happy I have a PS4 and Battlefield 4 coming this weekend. I've only held the DS4 in Game but I thought it felt great, and along with all the other impressions, plus the higher natural res on B4, I'm still thinking that is my console of choice for FPS now, at least for me. Unless the game is called Titanfall. Or Halo.

In Forza and FIFA though I've not had problems with the pad (Hand cramp aside), it's just that after putting in multiple hundreds of hours on COD on the 360, these things just leapt out at me. I'm still gonna enjoy my One loads, I think DR3 will be bought, Ryse if / when I see it for under £20 second hand, and the Fitness apps look great too, and using it for Netflix / Skype in the living room via voice is sweet.

One last thing: I so now wish we could install all disc-based games fully, tied to a profile. Having FIFA downloaded and just being able to open it like any other App without swapping discs is so nice. If the prices weren't so redic' for online purchases I'd be tempted to go digital for anything I know I will play at lot of / won't trade.

That sounds like it could be the same issue as the TV pass-through thing - it seems the system doesn't switch to 50hz properly. Surely they can't have made such an error to fuck up DVD playback for the whole of Europe, though?

So my first impressions are that the console has a huge amount of potential, a very nice piece of kit. Im based in the US so having been using the TV aspects of this more than anything so far but am just at the start of two weeks medical leave after knee surgery today so will be hitting the gaming pretty hard. I've got Forza, Battlefield and COD. Initial impressions are that Forza and Battlefield look spectacular, COD looks like a 360 game. The controller is a step up in my opinion, the rumble triggers don't seem to be enabled on either or the shooters but Forza has some nice affects.

Some gripes, voice recognition doesn't work properly for me as it's defaulting to US accent interpretation based off my locale. Surely something they will fix in time, but I was impressed by how well it all worked whilst I briefly swapped out the locale for uk. They also need to make this account specific surely? My Aussie mate who lives back in the uk won't be happy if you have to specify your dialect at the system level. Smart glass integration on the iPad is first class, it's now the default remote in our house. Lack of Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical out needs to be fixed pronto - nightmare for Sonos Playbar owners like me.

For those of you interested in the cable tv integration out here in the US, I'm really impressed by it so far. The guide is very, very fast and easy to navigate. It takes a running dump on my existing Time Warner box guide. When I put on my best US accent, the channel switching and volume control is great. Unfortunately the limitations of the IR blaster solution is lack of any ability to drive the record on the cable box. Not a problem for me personally because everything I watch is on series link anyhow.

My wife is super excited by the fitness app, I'll report back on her views then when she's used it!

So basically, there's a ton of stuff to explore there, lots of rough edges which I expect to be resolved by firmware updates over the next 12 months.

• Upvote 2

Promising how? You mean you like the graphics, right?

You always do this Vemsie. You endlessly post of GIFs of graphics whore stuff for games and then say nothing when they come out and are mediocre.

Vemsie knows his shit and usually doesn't get hyped up about, what end up to be, mediocre titles.

Has Covisgod had his picked up yet?

Haha ! Not sure if I'd dare smack it a few times incase I put my fist through it ! Having big problems with Microsoft at the minute, in total I've spent about 10 hours on the phone to them, the latest is the original bloke I spoke to put in my email address wrong so the shipping label to sent my old console back is yet to be sent and the new console unable to be sent out, I've got to phone up again this morning to speak to the person dealing with my case (Roman) to try and get to the bottom of everything. The only upside is that I've also recieved a code for Ryse as well now so at least I've got £100 of free games out of them so far.....

I still haven't had any joy with SmartGlass. :( I have removed the devices from the network, put them back on, went to IE on the XB1 and have not seen any web page to confirm a link. I have never actually seen this supposed web page on any device that comes onto the network...

Any other ideas?

Forza now installing ! The question is, do I cancel my order and tell them I've fixed it or wait till the new one arrives, swap them over and send back my original console ? I'm thinking I should probably still get a new one ? If I've managed to fix it by smacking its arse it can't be too great on the inside surely ? I'm just chuffed to bits I can finally play a game on my new console !

• Upvote 2

Forza now installing ! The question is, do I cancel my order and tell them I've fixed it or wait till the new one arrives, swap them over and send back my original console ? I'm thinking I should probably still get a new one ? If I've managed to fix it by smacking its arse it can't be too great on the inside surely ? I'm just chuffed to bits I can finally play a game on my new console !

Send it back and get a new one.

• Upvote 3

One last thing: I so now wish we could install all disc-based games fully, tied to a profile. Having FIFA downloaded and just being able to open it like any other App without swapping discs is so nice. If the prices weren't so redic' for online purchases I'd be tempted to go digital for anything I know I will play at lot of / won't trade.

You can definitely feel the remnants of the old disc-less ethos here, it just feels like an interface that was designed for instant switching from one app the other. Another telltale sign is the lack of a disc eject voice command, as far as I'm aware. When the publishers stop taking the piss with their online store pricing I suspect I'll be using it a lot.