Halo 2 Anniversay Cash Cow Edition, maybe

Can we expect to see Halo 2 given the anniversary treatment in the same fashion as it's predecessor? Well, a new report would suggest that's very much on the cards.

It makes sense. If you only have about three franchise cash cows that you own, you've got to milk them for all that they're worth.

Another concise tidbit from the rumour pages of the latest OXM (via CVG), the tantalising-yet-brief blurb reads as such:

"Following the success of remake Halo Anniversary, 343 Industries has now started development of Halo 2 Anniversary," the magazine claims.

Halo 4 is currently set for release this November, but a quick spruce of Halo 2 would certainly help to ensure that the return of Master Chief reaps maximum profits.

Plus we're pretty sure that there'd be lots of people eager to dive into a shinier version of Halo 2. Right?

Maybe they could add a polished Halo 3 into the mix too and rid themselves of that infuriating cliffhanger in the process.

Halo 4 is currently set for release this November, but a quick spruce of Halo 2 would certainly help to ensure that the return of Master Chief reaps maximum profits.

What the fuck is that sentence even supposed to mean? They are suggesting they'd do Halo 2 anniversary to boost sales of Halo 4? Do they think it's going to come out before it or something? What, for the 8th anniversary?

Presumably this would be for 2014.

It'll need more Breaking Benjamin,

Ambivalent about this. It's years since I've played Halo 2 but I remember the campaign as being piss easy on Heroic and broken as fuck on Legendary. Cairo Station was doable, but once the Jackal snipers turned up it became less of a videogame and more a war of attrition. There was no skill or strategy involved - it was simply a matter grinding my way through each encounter. I made it as far as Delta Halo and gave up.

The only way I'd be interested in a Halo 2 remake is if we got to experience Bungie's original vision for the game. They're on record as saying they scrapped a significant chunk after the 2003 E3 demo - that they built these huge environments that the Xbox couldn't handle - so I suppose it could be interesting to play the game as it was originally intended. Other than that: I'm out.

I'd definitely get it for the multiplayer co op potential and pray they spruce up the campaign a little.

I liked Halo 2.

Who didn't love *that bit* with the hunters and elites!

I've still not finished it on legendary, I try every couple of months but just can't kil that fucking monkey at the end.

Yeah, I loved it when the Brutes and Elites and Hunters and Grunts started fighting each other. Can't remember the level, it was on that pink ship-city thingy, and MC had just entered a huge room with all the different species, with a Brute charging an Elite and sending him flying. I just did nothing and watched through the scope for a couple of mins. Convenant orgy!

If halo 1 hadn't come before it people wouldn't be so hard. Some sections were very good but others... And boss battles? It reintroduced concepts that the first was brave to reject.

What the fuck is that sentence even supposed to mean? They are suggesting they'd do Halo 2 anniversary to boost sales of Halo 4? Do they think it's going to come out before it or something? What, for the 8th anniversary?

Presumably this would be for 2014.

Hey man why are you always so aggressive? It's really unpleasant to read sometimes.

If they include Halo 2 multiplayer then definitely but not for single player only. Halo 2 still remains a huge disappointment. I thought I was being too hard on it due to being disappointed at the time but after replaying it (or at least trying to) a few years back my feelings toward it haven't changed a bit.

What if 343 were brave enough to re imagine it? A proper remake.

Halo 2 is epic in scale. With a fresh approach and the mistakes of the original learnt 343 could make a classic out of Halo 2.

I think it's quite an exiting prospect and i'm going to be constantly rubbishing all this pallid cynicism.

Look at Halo Anniversary. 343 didn't try to change the most popular game in the series. They had a dev give it a new look.

But Halo 2 is obviously different. I think they'd get that people wouldn't just want it again but with new graphics. So surely a remake is on the cards.

I think tackling Halo 2 again is a great idea. It would mean yu could play all the games on the 360. It would mean the major sticking point in the series goes away. It would show 343 can do classic Halo pre reclaimer trilogy.

Bring it on.

What if 343 were brave enough to re imagine it? A proper remake.

Halo 2 is epic in scale. With a fresh approach and the mistakes of the original learnt 343 could make a classic out of Halo 2.

I think it's quite an exiting prospect and i'm going to be constantly rubbishing all this pallid cynicism.

Look at Halo Anniversary. 343 didn't try to change the most popular game in the series. They had a dev give it a new look.

But Halo 2 is obviously different. I think they'd get that people wouldn't just want it again but with new graphics. So surely a remake is on the cards.

I think tackling Halo 2 again is a great idea. It would mean yu could play all the games on the 360. It would mean the major sticking point in the series goes away. It would show 343 can do classic Halo pre reclaimer trilogy.

Bring it on.

I would love that but I don't really see it happening. Obviously Halo 2 had so much potential. Still love those gondolier bits.

A directors cut of Halo 2 would be great. Reinstate stuff that was left in the cutting room floor due to time and/or hardware to do it justice, and get rid of some stuff completely. And Chief only, no Artibiter.

In the event that this happens - and I don't think it will, since Halo 2 is nothing like as well regarded as CE - I can't see them going to a lot of trouble. It'll be a skinjob and the multiplayer will be tied to Halo 4, just as CEA's multiplayer was tied to Reach.