IGNORED

$99US Android game console planned. Ed Fries involved.

Unofficial Who

Someone please try the more obscure/cult classic N64 games: Blast Corps, Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja 1, Wetrix, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask, Worms Armageddon.

Really am tempted for the sheer emulation aspect alone. It's tiny footprint looks quite nice, too. If the above stuff runs well, I'm sold.

I've got one, not done much other than try some SNES emulation, which for the things I tried looked flawless. That and trying to get XBMC up and running, which is easy enough, though it won't see any shared folders on my PC for some reason!.

So far pretty solid. Not delved into the Ouya games much, what I wanted was a nice easy emulation station with media playing capabilities and it ticks that box. Faster than the Pi I was using before it at any rate!

They really should get the Play Store working, slightly annoying I can't use a whole bunch of stuff I've got on Android already, controller support excepting.

---

S0L
---

• 3 weeks later...

So did anyone pick one of these up? I like it, but I don't love it. I've also noticed that I'm being charged a completely different price to what's on the Ouya store. Bought something for $2.99 and it charged me £2.99!

So did anyone pick one of these up? I like it, but I don't love it. I've also noticed that I'm being charged a completely different price to what's on the Ouya store. Bought something for $2.99 and it charged me £2.99!

As an indy games console, emu station and XBMC box, I can't really flaw it. Not bought anything from the store yet, but straight pounds to dollars prices are a bit nasty! Not hugely keen on the controller, but it works just fine with a PS3 one :P

Just needs more games :P

---

S0L

---

I bought mine from King A (ta!).

So far reasonable impressed, XBMC runs very well, a lot faster than on the PI. Had a few buffering issues with large files, which I think could be SMB related. Won't be replacing the AppleTV2 anytime soon, as that works just too well for XBMC.

Emulation seems good, Megadrive and Playstation are the two I've spent the most time with. C64 just refuses to work and I'm baffled why.

The games on the store do not appeal, so far there is nothing I would even consider paying for. Hope that changes and some gems come out of the woodwork.

It does seem a shame now it's out that everyone buying it (from the sounds of things) isn't really intending to play the games designed for the machine. Then again, I wonder if that was Ouya's plan from the beginning - I wonder if they make a profit on the hardware?

It does seem a shame now it's out that everyone buying it (from the sounds of things) isn't really intending to play the games designed for the machine. Then again, I wonder if that was Ouya's plan from the beginning - I wonder if they make a profit on the hardware?

They should do, not counting the appallingly cheap controller it's a $60-70 machine in terms of parts, if that.

I'd buy some games, if there were some I wanted... The free demo's actually hurt it a little as many of the games on there that sound interesting aren't actually all that fun when you play them. That said I lost a night to Vendetta (the Online space Elite-a-like) but it felt a little too WIP on the pad to cough up for just yet.

I'm surprised it's not seeing loads of Android games ported over to it, especially the Tegra stuff. We've had a tinker with it here and it's easy enough to get things running on it. I suppose adding full controller support is one side of it, if you've made your whole game have a touch interface, it's not super quick to put pad controls back in.

But take something like GTA:Vice City, you'd think they'd do the required tweaks and just sit and enjoy the money, especially whilst there is a lack of competition on there!

---

S0L

---

so apparently the best selling game has shifted 2,000 copies. How many machines are out there?

NPD were both pretty damming and completely missing the point, but regardless i don't think we can expect big numbers. Very few stockists, most people have no idea what it is, and a lot of people already have devices much of the software has been available on for months, if not years.

I don't think it's coincidence that they haven't been shy about it's emulation uses, thats surely the biggest market for it as far as the likes of us and the tech blog readers.

• 2 weeks later...

I set mine up yesterday. The HDMI port seems a bit flakey but nothing too serious and it really, really needs a SD card slot. The UI is average but speedy enough but if you end up with a lot of apps they're just going to be clumped together randomly.

The selection of games in the store ranges from bad to utterly terrible with a few gems (Most of which have been elsewhere). However I got it for the emulators. I've only had a chance to try a couple so far. I copied a few Megadrive roms over and that one seemed to work a treat. Then I sideloaded Mame4Droid and stuck some of my faves on. Only had a chance to try Pacland and Bubble Bobble but it looks like it's going to be a very nice Mame box. I don't really play the more demanding modern stuff (About as far as Outrun/Space Harrier) so it's just nice.

When I get chance I'm going to try some C64, Amiga, ST and SNES stuff. I wonder if there's a nice Spectrum emu available.

Yeah, I am utterly baffled by people who said "it'll be good for homebrew". It's 2013, we're surrounded by electronics you can run homebrew and emulation on - your basic non-gaming PC or laptop, every smartphone and tablet computer imaginable, boxes that go under the TV (and that old Wii that's down there)! Who are these people drowning in fucking ROMS with nothing to play them on?

I asked this a few pages back, do people really not have anything that can run fucking MAME emulators in 2013 that they had to buy this, or are people just dropping £100 on this through some consumerist phone gadget lust tech nerd thing and using that as the excuse?

Because I can understand the latter, but not the former.

The Ouya lets you play some games, run emulators and do media streaming in one small box, no modding, no rooting, no installing an OS. It's this convenience some less tech-savvy types would pay for. I know people with Wiis for who even installing Letterbomb would be a hassle. They sooner sell the Wii and buy one of these if they knew about it.

• 5 years later...