Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

What amazes me about Cazorla, is that Spain have so many technically sound midfielders, that their own club sides didn't seem to make much of an effort to sign him this summer.

It's like England having Gascoigne, Hoddle, Gerrard, Robson, Cowans, Wilkins, Platt, Lampard, Steven, Scholes, Beckham, Le Tissier, and Barnes all in their prime, and then having to pick maybe 5 of them for a midfield

As for Jenkinson, he does need to work on his passing because it's the one glaring flaw with him at the moment. But the rest of his game has come on massively since last season. He's better in the final third than Sagna and gets up and down the flank all day.

So if you think he's better than Sagna in the final third, and this is an Arsenal side that's conceded 2 in 5, should he not keep his place? I'd love that personally, purely because of Sagna's stupid comments about them letting Song go, a move which - as many expected - has (if anything) had a positive result.

How about Lambert then? 26 out of 26 penalties converted.

Amazing!

It's the shirt. The number 7 has soaked up so much Le Tissier sweat* that it imbues an ungodly ability to score penalties.

* Over a long time you understand, he never really ran very much to build up a sweat so it took a while.

He might not have done much running but he was different class.

I wonder how he would have done in the 'modern' 100 miles an hour game where you need to be a super athlete and what he would have been worth. (that's assuming he would have been bothered to move to one of the big boys and try his luck at CL etc) No disrespect to Southampton.

So if you think he's better than Sagna in the final third, and this is an Arsenal side that's conceded 2 in 5, should he not keep his place? I'd love that personally, purely because of Sagna's stupid comments about them letting Song go, a move which - as many expected - has (if anything) had a positive result.

I think Sagna would have to be eased back in anyway, but no, I don't think Jenkinson should be automatically dropped as soon as Sagna is fit again.

Sagna's comments I would imagine were perhaps made to sound out a bit of interest from other clubs before he tries negotiating a new deal with Arsenal. He's 29 with a gammy leg so suitors might not be clambering over each other to get him, even if he is one of the best right backs in the league.

As for Arsenal, it seems bloody obvious to me why we haven't offered him a new deal yet; the club aren't going to offer a fat new contract to someone who's out with a broken leg. Seeing as it's the second time he's injured the same part of his body, the only logical move is to wait and see how his recovery goes. If that means letting him go into the last 12 months of his deal then, in this case, so be it.

It was bound to happen somewhere sooner or later.

Russia captain Igor Denisov has voiced his dismay with Zenit St Petersburg's policy to pay foreign stars such as Hulk and Axel Witsel higher wages than their Russian players.

The 28-year-old midfielder asked for a pay rise after the capture of the Brazil and Belgium internationals, but was demoted to the reserves rather than get the improved deal he was after, much to Denisov's dismay.

"Why would foreigners earn three times more than the best players in the team? That's why I asked for a pay rise. But I was axed by the coach instead," Denisov stated to Sport Express.

"If Hulk and Witsel were at the same level as Messi and Ronaldo it would be fine, but they are not. So why do we have this imbalance in wages then?

"It's not about money, it's about respect. I couldn't even sleep well a few nights in a row waiting for the club's decision."

Denisov then went on to stress that there's no truth in the reports suggesting that the Zenit squad is deliberately making life difficult for their new players.

"Why do people say we don't pass the ball to Hulk too often? We do. We didn't give a warm welcome to him upon his arrival? We did.

"But it's hard to communicate with him and Witsel through interpreters. They are supposed to try talking to us themselves."

Zenit have won only one out of their last six games.

Hulk is on €10million per year.

I don't know about that... looking at the team sheets, it looks like there's quite a few debuts there for City, and runs out for players that are out of favour. They still should've had too much for Villa though.

One of their debutants was a £20m signing. I'd imagine the total value of the 14 players who appeared on the pitch for them tonight was well over £200m.

Who was the £20m signing? I take your point though.

Matija Nastasic, who was €15m + Stefan Savic (who City paid £6m for less than a year ago) from Fiorentina on transfer deadline day. It's difficult to get an exact transfer fee when a currency exchange and a player exchange are involved, but I think £20m is the ballpark figure accepted by most. I thought it was his debut, but he actually played all 90 minutes against Real Madrid last week too, so it was only his domestic/home debut. Point still stands though.

Dunno whether they would count this as a defeat at home either, they didn't lose in 90 minutes which gives them a means in which they can continue their record.

Just checking the record books, they lost at home in both cup competitions in the space of a week in January, to Manchester United in the FA Cup and to Liverpool in the League Cup.

The last team to win at the CoMS in the Premier League were Everton, who won there on December 20th 2010, or 32 league games ago. Of those 32 games they have won 29 and drew 3. A season ticket is probably good value up there at the moment.