Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

3890-oh-you-dog.jpg

You're just annoyed because I reply to your terrible troll posts in the style of disciple.

I'm just bemused how you reply to ever single one of my posts, regardless of content, like you're a bit obsessed with me or something.

It's kind of what Timmo used to do, but without the humour or intelligence.

It's just very strange behaviour. We've been over this before.

Weird.

I ended up paying for liveonlinefooty because I got sick of the low quality streams from myp2p always cutting out and having to faff about finding a new one during the match. LOF was pretty much like watching things on iplayer. It just worked!

That second Oscar goal instantly goes into a special list for me, incredible.

PS There's no list

Yeah, it was fantastic.

I actually wanted Quagliarella's shot (that clipped the bar) to go in. That would have been another superb goal. The build-up play was excellent.

PSG have pretty much just taken a massive dump on FFP. They've announced a 4-year shirt and stadium sponsorship with a Qatari bank. For €400m.

And people thought City were taking the piss with their £40m a year deal.

FFP was fucked the moment Barcelona announced their Qatar Foundation sponsorship as it threw the "we will only accept sponsorships at typical market values" crap Platini was spouting out of the window. It was clear from that point that typical market values would simply be whatever the richest clubs wanted them to be. Other clubs will follow suit as needed.

FFP was fucked the moment Barcelona announced their Qatar Foundation sponsorship as it threw the "we will only accept sponsorships at typical market values" crap Platini was spouting out of the window. It was clear from that point that typical market values would simply be whatever the richest clubs wanted them to be. Other clubs will follow suit as needed.

Further reading on the subject.

http://www.danielgeey.com/blog/?p=467

On the other side of money in football, my home town club Newry City have been wound up today, because of an outstanding £25k settlement owed to the former manager Gerry Flynn for wrongful dismissal. Chances are the club will be liquidated soon enough, and whatever will there is will have to form a new club, likely at the lowest intermediate level (so about three divisions below where they are now).

They were relegated from the Premiership two years ago, and although they never really accomplished much up there since promotion in 1998, they did finish fourth in 1999 and qualify for the InterToto Cup where they managed the astounding feat of actually getting through to the second round, and exited with a 100% home record after beating MSV Duisburg - 8th in the previous season's Bundesliga - by a goal to nil.

I only saw them play live once, being the feckless glory-hunting Man United fan in my early years meaning I only bothered when United came to town (a 3-3 draw, much entertainment had), and only once can I remember seeing them on telly, a few years ago when they faced Portadown in the League Cup final. They lost, but Michel Platini was in attendance, so it's not all bad. Or maybe it is.

So, a bit of a sad time but it's hard to be that upset given I didn't emotionally invest in the first place.

Except when they beat Duisburg. Or made Platini look sad in the rain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19669979

Lazio fans in predictable racism non-shocker.

Platini was present at the game. I saw the footage on the news - 1970s style monkey chants were heard over and over again when Defoe had the ball. Lennon was subject to it as well as Townsend.

AVB commented upon it in true manager style.

"Uefa is very active on this kind of situation," he said.

"And our overall objective is to kick racism out of football.

"I can't point the finger at anyone in any way shape or form because I didn't hear anything. It's for the authorities to follow up in any kind of investigation."

I'm not entirely sure how he didn't hear it and if he did, protect your players. If he didn't, expect to see him with an ear trumpet soon as it was pretty obvious and very loud.

As it's not an English club side, I doubt Platini will do anything about it.

It's really quite sad and pathetic.

Good old Lazio.