Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

The general warmth and happiness that comes from letting a conscious decision to want success for a particular club take root into something deeper.

To take your two conditions, I'll start with the latter. It doesn't matter if you were there or not if you want something to happen. It might be more exciting to attend a live game, the atmosphere may amplify any resulting emotional response, and you'll get to feel part of a group, but if you want a team to win and they win, it's going to make you happy regardless of where you were when it happened.

And as for being from there, well, does that really have anything to do with it, objectively? Does Manchester United winning titles mean Manchester people are better than other people, when they're fielding players drawn from all over the world? Even at the lower levels, players are going to be cribbed from a catchment area a lot larger than the club's home town. Heck, there are cases here in Northern Ireland where the local semi-pro clubs have had players on their books commute from London. You pretty much have to go down to the amateur level before you've truly got squads that represent the local area.

In short, when it comes to supporting a football team, people get out of it whatever they choose to get out of it. For some it boosts interest, for others it lets them vicariously grab a spot of glory, and for others still it's just a way to fit in with a crowd.

I just meant i dont understand what these people that just 'follow' teams get out of not ever going the game, just watch their results come through on Soccer Saturday and that's it...every week, ignore their own local team thats probably struggling and going bust, I'm talking about people from England who do this, I would of thought they'd enjoy watching their own team play more if they tried it.

They still get the same sense of happiness from the outcome whether they go or not. They might enjoy a live game more, but that's doesn't mean they get nothing out of watching it on Sky, or even just following the results as they come in.

There are plenty of reasons to not go to games - cost, time, distance, quality of football, you name it.

I'm trying to think of how I feel about "glory hunting" fans and I still cant quite articulate it. While I firmly believe you are perfectly entitled to support who you want and concede the only real reason I am a Villa fan is because they were the first team I went to see when I was a kid, I have to confess I enjoy a huge amount of schadenfreude when a club who gained a lot of fans simply because they were hugely successful suddenly start losing every week.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with people supporting teams they have little tangible connection to (although it transpired that doing that didn't feel 'right' for me). I'm sure most of them care about the sport and, ultimately, I suppose you could argue that even the 'better' reasons for supporting a team are fairly arbitrary in the grand scheme of things. Whoever it is, it's really just emotionally investing in something you generally have absolutely no control over, whether you attend every match or live across the other side of the world.

But still, it's hard not to be irritated when you hear a long-distance Man Utd. fan gloating about the misfortunes of others when they haven't really experienced any genuine footballing misfortune of their own in their lives. It's hard to say exactly why but it just feels like cheating somehow.

tl:dr Fry Crayola got it right basically - it's fair enough to support whoever you want so long as you're not a cunt about it.

But still, it's hard not to be irritated when you hear a long-distance Man Utd. fan gloating about the misfortunes of others when they haven't really experienced any genuine footballing misfortune of their own in their lives. It's hard to say exactly why but it just feels like cheating somehow.

That's probably a more articulate way of describing what I was trying to get at. Mind you, Manchester United didn't win a trophy in 2004/05, so they do know our pain.

Piers Morgan is an Arsenal fan and he sounds like the whiniest, spoilt, most annoying fans you could imagine. I had to unfollow him on Twitter. Support who you want for whatever reason you like. But don't just bitch and moan and disown your team during bad spells. You're in it for life.

Those are the fans that really piss me off. Gloating when another team LOSE but try to distance themselves from their team when things aren't going well.

I thought he would be banned by an association and it wouldn't transfer.

Perhaps I'm thinking that Barton thought he'd got away with it. Wishful thinking perhaps.

I thought he would be banned by an association and it wouldn't transfer.

Perhaps I'm thinking that Barton thought he'd got away with it. Wishful thinking perhaps.

The FAs made a special agreement for it, all the parties knew about it in advance.

I'm trying to think of how I feel about "glory hunting" fans and I still cant quite articulate it. While I firmly believe you are perfectly entitled to support who you want and concede the only real reason I am a Villa fan is because they were the first team I went to see when I was a kid, I have to confess I enjoy a huge amount of schadenfreude when a club who gained a lot of fans simply because they were hugely successful suddenly start losing every week.

It's never really particularly clear cut, and sometimes I do think there are fans quick to label others as glory hunters or plastics or whatever as a way of telling themselves they are a "proper" fan. I have a mate who supports Derby, and he constantly goes on about the "plastics" for pretty much whatever reason he can, but about his own teams fans. Stuff like complaining a out people who go big cup games but not smaller league games and shit. I don't buy stuff like that though with how expensive it can be sometimes, I know I'd certainly pick and choose matches if I did decide to start going.

Personally whatever reason you have for supporting a team is your own, it doesnt matter what it is to me, and don't think it should to anyone else. At school I had a friend who was never really into football, but everyone else was, so he just decided to say he supported Yeovil Town because he liked the name. He ended up following their results, then buying a shirt, then going to games, and even had a season ticket I think. It was a dumb reason for supporting them, but hes ended up pretty loyal, which I think is all that matters. You pick a team, and that's your team. No swapsies. Thats why Chu Chu Chris's little tantrum in the Man Utd thread where he's decided to swap now makes him a fake fan, despite his protests. Stoke will always be the team I follow, even if they do play like shit, they were when they were in the third tier not so long ago (and even when local rivals Port Vale were higher up than us) and they will be even if we end up back there.

http://www.fcbusines...ancial controls

Looks like the Premier League might be about to introduce their own FFP regulations.

As many as 17 teams are in favour of introducing financial control measures into the English Premier League, according to West Ham United co-owner David Gold.
Press Association Sport reported that Fulham, Chelsea, Manchester City and Everton are the clubs most opposed to restrictions.

Obviously Man City and Chelsea make sense, bit surprised to see Everton in there. Fulham are (or were) basically a mini-Chelsea so I guess that makes sense too.

Commentator on the MLS highlights suggested he could have easily got to it. Some facts: The New England Revolution were at long odds to win that game, they won 2-0. The first goal featured some alarmingly weak defending, albeit nothing as dodgy as the second. Chad Marshall 'only' earns $300,000 a year.

Maybe he's just a spectacularly bad defender, who knows.

Chad Marshall is a pretty decent MLS defender. Had the chance to join Mainz in the Bundesliga a couple of years ago, but opted to stay at Columbus for less money. Perhaps he's regretting the decision.

There's not been much talk in the press about it at all, obviously being careful what they say. Plenty of fan talk and Twitter talk though. Alexi Lalas wasn't impressed.