Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

He supports Liverpool, I think.

Which considering they recently spent much more on Andy Caroll, makes his comment even more ridiculous.

RVP's signing on fee and £200,000 per week 4yr contract make him so, so much so that not even City would go there. Of course he is the most expensive striker in the premiership.

But congrats to united they won through spunking their load upon a mercenary that Arsenal nurtured into the player he is. And united fans were actually complaining about City last year?

But in the end when RVP scores for united how can you celebrate him? he isn't a player you bought from no where or one you developed and created, he has no affinity with the club, he'd be celebrating his goals in a City or Barcelona shirt if they had happened to come along with a fatter contract, he doesn't care about united when he scores just that you guys are giving him more £££ than anyone else. He can score a hat trick a game but it doesn't make it feel any less hollow. Arsenal are well shot of him.

Maybe because of RVP United will win the prem this season, but that makes no difference to how City won it last year, may the fattest cheque book win! RVP in a united shirt to me symbolises everything thats wrong with the modern game.

But in the end when RVP scores for united how can you celebrate him? he isn't a player you bought from no where or one you developed and created, he has no affinity with the club, he'd be celebrating his goals in a City or Barcelona shirt if they had happened to come along with a fatter contract, he doesn't care about united when he scores just that you guys are giving him more £££ than anyone else. He can score a hat trick a game but it doesn't make it feel any less hollow. Arsenal are well shot of him.

I'm sure you'll feel the same way when Podolski or Cazorla pops one in the old onion bag.

RVP's signing on fee and £200,000 per week 4yr contract make him so, so much so that not even City would go there. Of course he is the most expensive striker in the premiership.

But congrats to united they won through spunking their load upon a mercenary that Arsenal nurtured into the player he is. And united fans were actually complaining about City last year?

Maybe because of RVP United will win the prem this season, but that makes no difference to how City won it last year, may the fattest cheque book win! RVP in a united shirt to me symbolises everything thats wrong with the modern game.

If you had a talent and were working away for 15k a year for the company that gave you your first break, while less talented folks were earning 30k and more elsewhere...would you stay there for the rest of your career? He's only got a limited window of opportunity, why shouldnt he be rewarded for his hard work in becoming that player. Your post is basically communism.

I'm sure you'll feel the same way when Podolski or Cazorla pops one in the old onion bag.

Podolski left Koln in a very respectful manner. They understood he'd be leaving and why, plus I think it's reasonably safe to assume that is where he'll end his career as well. He's gone to another country, too. And for Cazorla it was a lot more than a pay rise that drove him away from Malaga. Like, the entire club collapsing around him, him not receiving wages for a month, etc.

There are loads of players that have signed for Arsenal for money, but it usually makes sense from a playing perspective too, it's generally step-up for their careers. If you want to move for money alone you'd be a bit daft going to Arsenal as anything other than a stop-gap.

Thank god. Umbro is a bit shit.

Umbro is a subsidiary of Nike. The Umbro design department seem to be a lot more talented than whatever bunch of blind arseholes are churning out shirts for Nike too, the England shirts have been nice over the past few seasons and the current line up of Manchester City shirts are some of the nicest kits I have ever seen. Compare that to the hideous lineup of shirts from Nike of late and I cant see why you would think that Umbro is a bit shit, beyond the fact that Nike spend more money on advertising of course.

When were these nice England kits released?

The only decent one I can remember is the red kit from 2010ish.

Personally I think they've all been a bit of a muchness so even if Nike are terrible, Umbro have had it for long enough to make a change seem like a good idea. There's only so much you can fuck up with a plain white kit.

I did quite like the home kit with the red cross on the shoulder ... but that was 5 years ago.

As long as the Nike England kit doesn't end up looking like Utd's plastic picnic table cloth shirt it might be alright.

And good news for Chelsea...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8047971/Atletico-Madrid-striker-Falcao-is-keen-to-play-in-the-Premier-League-and-has-always-loved-Chelsea

Radamel Falcao's father says the Atletico Madrid striker 'has always wanted' to play in the Premier League and is a big fan of Chelsea.

Woo!

If you had a talent and were working away for 15k a year for the company that gave you your first break, while less talented folks were earning 30k and more elsewhere...would you stay there for the rest of your career? He's only got a limited window of opportunity, why shouldnt he be rewarded for his hard work in becoming that player. Your post is basically communism.

Oh my god this post. :facepalm:

I think a lot of selective blindness goes on around the role of the clubs in all of this, the majority of whom are just as mercenary as the players. When was the last time a club gave a player a new contract out of 'loyalty'? Players are uncermoniously dumped as soon as they look like they might not provide adequate return on investment. Of course you could argue that loyalty is to 'the fans' rather than the club, and if it was someone's boyhood club and they had been there man and boy I could understand, but people need to get real. Loyalty should be praised where it occurs (see John Amichi famously turning down millions of dollars to play for the NBA club that originally signed him rather than someone else) but it's unrealistic to expect people to turn down a double salary increase and the chance to win trophies out of a vague sense of needing to do the right thing.

Football's broken, but I don't blame the players.

You can only really understand it if a player has grown up with the team. The other year when Rooney was gonna leave Man U and the fans were fuming about his disloyalty I was wondering what they thought made it different to when he left Everton?