Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

Why were Liverpool dragging their feet with Dempsey? Considering how protracted this deal has been I had assumed Fulham were asking an unreasonable amount but it seems Spurs got him for £6m. Surely Liverpool could have scraped together that sort of fee?

They were clearly hoping that the fact Dempsey really wanted to come to us would persuade Fulham to accept a cut-price deal rather than keep an unhappy player.

That and being incompetent.

Cross posting from the Villa thread:

So we have been scouring the lower leagues for 21 year olds, Joe Bennett (left back, Middlesbrough) Jordan Bowrey (striker, Chesterfield) and Ashley Westwood (midfielder, Crewe) have all joined along with Christian Benteke (striker, Genk) who I have heard described in several places in the media as either a panic buy or a gamble. I've never known such an inexperienced squad. The wage bill is definitely lower than it was, but it really is shit or bust for us this season isnt it?

I think you're going to really struggle, sadly. I'm not sure Paul Lambert is going to be able to get your players to perform several gears higher than they managed last season. It really doesn't seem that long ago that you were an established top-10 side!

I think you're going to really struggle, sadly. I'm not sure Paul Lambert is going to be able to get your players to perform several gears higher than they managed last season. It really doesn't seem that long ago that you were an established top-10 side!

It was only three years ago we should have qualified for the Champions League but decided to implode spectacularly instead. As posted above we were sitting in 3rd place in January and were offered (or at least strongly linked with) Falcao and Darren Bent. O'Neill decided to spend the money on Emile Heskey instead, presumably because they were still mates from Leicester. Who knows where we had been now if O'Neill's transfer policy, which is under serious scrutiny again this window, hadnt been so shit. We are relying on so many inexperienced players to punch above their weight this season just to stay up that it could all go horribly, horribly wrong.

Changing the subject completely has anyone used the new payment method for liveonlinefooty? it seems to go to some Romanian payment site which seems a little suspect...

No problems here. Streams have been perfect.

It was only three years ago we should have qualified for the Champions League but decided to implode spectacularly instead. As posted above we were sitting in 3rd place in January and were offered (or at least strongly linked with) Falcao and Darren Bent. O'Neill decided to spend the money on Emile Heskey instead, presumably because they were still mates from Leicester. Who knows where we had been now if O'Neill's transfer policy, which is under serious scrutiny again this window, hadnt been so shit. We are relying on so many inexperienced players to punch above their weight this season just to stay up that it could all go horribly, horribly wrong.

I can see your season either being a spectacular success, or relegation and misery. The people you bought in would be great in a well established and stable team with experience that needed to look to the future, but it seems like they'll get thrown in at the deep end and hope they prove themselves quickly.

I love deadline day though, although it does surprise me how many people seem to forget that players are bought on the days before that too. Complaining that you've not bought anyone on deadline day when you've spent tens of millions already is just odd to me.

As far as transfers go, I'm fairly happy with what Stoke have bought. We desperately needed to strengthen our midfield, and we've bought in players who hopefully will do that. Would have liked a striker as well, but we would probably need to offload one or two before we did, and let's face it no one really wants to buy Kenwye Jones, or Cameron Jerome. Crouch and Walters probably wouldn't fetch much, but they're miles better than the other 2.

There hasn't really been any "holy shit" transfers this window though, though it's still been pretty interesting. Dempsey to Spurs was surprising as I really expected him to end up at Liverpool. Still seemed a lot of activity at Spurs even though 'Arry wasn't there. And did Arsenal even make any bids yesterday?

There hasn't really been any "holy shit" transfers this window though, though it's still been pretty interesting. Dempsey to Spurs was surprising as I really expected him to end up at Liverpool. Still seemed a lot of activity at Spurs even though 'Arry wasn't there. And did Arsenal even make any bids yesterday?

I think Hugo Lloris to Spurs was quite out-there. And of course Arsenal didn't make any bids, they're averse to spending money, ever.

So Carroll starts for the Hammers, Berb on the bench for Fulham. Might be a decent game to watch.

Why were Liverpool dragging their feet with Dempsey? Considering how protracted this deal has been I had assumed Fulham were asking an unreasonable amount but it seems Spurs got him for £6m. Surely Liverpool could have scraped together that sort of fee?

Cos we're skint and our owners are obsessed with cutting costs.

Changing the subject completely has anyone used the new payment method for liveonlinefooty? it seems to go to some Romanian payment site which seems a little suspect...

Yeah I refused to renew my sub on LOF because I didn't want to give them all my details. If it changes back to Google Checkout or Paypal I'll be right back in but for now, fuck it.

Well 2-2 for swansea sunderland. Swansea were much the better team but sunderland defended well. Chico's sending off was a bit laughable as he did something really stupid but didn't even touch the player. Several swansea players performed below par but everyone gets a bad game. Still a good start to the season.

Spurs in crisis! They'd better buy some more players! PANIC!

What's it going to be like for them after another load of signings and yet they'll still finish below arsenal!?