IGNORED

Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

Just following on from a post I made in A&F, what do you guys think about separate threads for each weekend of the season, major transfers, etc? Now we've got a folder for all this we could make the most of it and keep this thread as a catch-all area? I'd be happy to start the thread each week and post the fixtures, talking points and so on, kind of like the Films on TV This Week thread.

Or we could just keep it as is. :)

Thoughts?

I've always felt a few more topics would be nice, so good conversations don't get lost in the flurry of posts during matchdays.

I particularly wanted a 'Racist Footballers' thread. Mostly so I wouldn't have to read grunting tribal fuckwits like Disciple post analytical breakdowns of Patrice Evra's handshake techniques in this thread.

But I think most of that furore is over now, but yea, a few new threads would be fun wouldn't they? A dedicated trivia thread would be aces.

Heard an excellent one on Football Weekly yesterday:

What was unique about the two penalties Vladimir Smicer scored in the 2005 Champions League Final?

Obviously no FW listeners with the answer, please!

Heard an excellent one on Football Weekly yesterday:

What was unique about the two penalties Vladimir Smicer scored in the 2005 Champions League Final?

Obviously no FW listeners with the answer, please!

He scored two penalties? I'm no Liverpool fan so my memory is probably a bit hazy, but I can only remember him scoring a shot from distance, and then I guess a pen in the shootout.

Just following on from a post I made in A&F, what do you guys think about separate threads for each weekend of the season, major transfers, etc? Now we've got a folder for all this we could make the most of it and keep this thread as a catch-all area? I'd be happy to start the thread each week and post the fixtures, talking points and so on, kind of like the Films on TV This Week thread.

Thoughts?

I think a Matchday thread would be great. Put all the fixtures in for that week and any discussion for those matches could be done in one place.

He scored two penalties? I'm no Liverpool fan so my memory is probably a bit hazy, but I can only remember him scoring a shot from distance, and then I guess a pen in the shootout.

Sorry, should be two goals. One in normal time, one in the shoot out.

Thoughts?

Separate threads for big transfers or major news or updates on what stupid world ranking England have been given that month are a great idea, but I don't see weekly threads working too well. All it takes is a couple of talking points and all of a sudden you've got three weekly threads active at once and nobody has any idea where the conversation's supposed to be.

It's not really comparable to Films on TV. That thread doesn't promote much discussion within it, because you see a film you want to talk about you go to that film's thread, rather than discuss it there. And once the week's done, there's nothing left to say, so the thread can disappear quietly. Weekly threads here would be all about discussion though, so it'd just get messy.

Or maybe it wouldn't, that's just how it seems to me.