IGNORED

Football Thread 2012/13

Danster

So i'm watching soccer special and they have announced Norwich and Newcastle as safe, now while im pleased for Norwich i dont see how either are safe?

Ahh i've worked it out, its a shoot out between Villa and Wigan if Wigan win on tuesday!

Good win for Norwich, had to win and have done well!

You have spotted that City have spent hundreds of millions, won the league last year and are second this year? And that Wigan are battling relegation, as they tend to do almost every year but are in even worse condition this year? And the last time there was such as upset in the FA Cup final was in 87-88 when unfancied Wimbledon won (although they finished the league 7th that year, so that was arguably less an upset than this, in which case you're looking at 72-73 when Sunderland beat Leeds). That being the case, if this isn't the greatest upset in the FA Cup final in about 30 years, what is? They hadn't even scored against City for the last 7 matches.

And how on earth can you knowingly disregard Whelan's whole story and then complain it's not a fairy tale as a result? Christ, talk about hard to please. What next, moaning that Snow White isn't much of a fairy tale because you're not willing to count the dwarves, the queen or Snow White?

I'm not hard to please, I'm just not a sucker for hype. You're obviously right about the facts you've mentioned, the money, league positions etc. But City have been pretty poor this year at times and spent loads of money on average players. But for me, the biggest upset ever shouldn't be one team in the same league beating another. If it were in the league would this be such a big deal? What happened to anything can happen in the Cup? And what happened to no easy games in the Premiership? Especially Wigan who can be awful or terrible one game to the next. Or as said so many times the Premiership is the best league in the World so why is Wigan winning such a shock?

Yeah ok with the Whelan thing that's pretty special but he's not playing in the match which is why i discounted it, if he was playing i'd be all for it but he wasnt.

Who knows maybe I've watched too much TV and so expect the underdog to win?

You have spotted that City have spent hundreds of millions, won the league last year and are second this year? And that Wigan are battling relegation, as they tend to do almost every year but are in even worse condition this year? And the last time there was such as upset in the FA Cup final was in 87-88 when unfancied Wimbledon won (although they finished the league 7th that year, so that was arguably less an upset than this, in which case you're looking at 72-73 when Sunderland beat Leeds). That being the case, if this isn't the greatest upset in the FA Cup final in about 30 years, what is? They hadn't even scored against City for the last 7 matches.

And how on earth can you knowingly disregard Whelan's whole story and then complain it's not a fairy tale as a result? Christ, talk about hard to please. What next, moaning that Snow White isn't much of a fairy tale because you're not willing to count the dwarves, the queen or Snow White?

West Ham beat arsenal 1-0 in 1980 - they were a second division side when they did that.

Being a broadcaster, ITV are supposed to be unbiased. They weren't expected to win, but they had as much chance as City (i.e. 50/50). Some of the stuff they came out, and they way they came out with it was spiteful, patronising and disrespectful. They were talking shit about them during City's European games.

All credit to you for remembering that briefest of periods when City were in Europe, but since that particular farce was over with before the FA Cup 3rd round, I think you're probably misremembering a bit.

But if Mancini read the forum I'm sure he'll give you a few grand for making him feel a bit better as he joins the dole queue.

All credit to you for remembering that briefest of periods when City were in Europe, but since that particular farce was over with before the FA Cup 3rd round, I think you're probably misremembering a bit.

Well spotted, just testing ;)

For the record It was City's semi final game now I think about it a bit more sensibly.

The biggest cup final upset for 30 years makes perfect sense then!

You said the biggest upset prior to this one was Sunderland in the 70s.

Plymouth Argyle got to the semi finals in 1984. We were the first third tier team to do that. George Reilly broke my 7 year old heart at the time. Luckily, Watford lost to Everton in the final that year.

Quick catch up.

Watford game - What the fuck!!!! Get in there Almunia!!

Wigan winning the cup - Good for them, deserved it, fairytale, superb stuff.

West Ham winning the cup in 1980 - didn't they also win the old 2nd division in that season?

I'm fairly certain they did but ok maybe I am clutching at straws and it was a huge shock and yes it made me cry.

Rooney - don't give a shit

SAF retiring - Thought I would be really happy but it almost feels a bit sad. End of an era and all that.

Last CL place up for grabs - Shitting it

That is everything I know.

Anyone watching Milan/Roma? Play was suspended after racist chants so Francesco Totti goes over to the fans to try and sort it out.

Mate's got £500 riding on that game. His £4 accumulator comes in if Milan win, and it's 0-0 with ten to go. I imagine he's shitting himself right now.

All the talk about biggest cup upsets etc with some mentioning Wimbledon beating Liverpool, there seems to be a number of people that have overlooked that Everton (15th in the league) beat Man Utd (2nd in league) in 1995, Everton had barely avoided relegation that season