rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Danster

Football Thread 2012/13

I for one can't wait for Liverpool to shoot themselves in the foot once again.

• Upvote 1

A resounding AVB Spurs victory over Chelsea might cause a few chuckles.

• Upvote 2

I will just say that I hope Bristol Rovers are at least challenging this season, we need some stability after going through managers like nobody's business. Looking forward to more news about our new stadium, hopefully we can get it built and move before the City have even gotten theirs out of the courts.... ;)

• Upvote 1

I predict it'll be a little better than last season. But not much better.

Can I make a request? Can people state their club when making a "went to the game on Saturday, we played well...etc" type posts. It's hard to keep up with who everyone supports but I like to read about other fans experiences and how their season is going.

And obviously this counts double for people with two or more teams. ;)

• Upvote 4

The Championship thread has a list in the first post. It's not exactly perfect, but it might be helpful here too, I guess?

Maybe we (and when I say 'we' I mean 'us, here in this thread' rather than 'Huddersfield Town Football Club' ;)) could put who we support in our sigs?

Maybe we (and when I say 'we' I mean 'us, here in this thread' rather than 'Huddersfield Town Football Club' ;)) could put who we support in our sigs?

I like it.

I would, but making an accurate enough ASCII image of Bendtner is going to take me ages.

• Upvote 1

The Championship thread has a list in the first post. It's not exactly perfect, but it might be helpful here too, I guess?

Absolutely. I support Aston Villa and whoever happens to be playing against Birmingham City.

l6n2L.png

So onto my lot. Predictions for 2012/13? It might be too early to say, but after the shower of shite which was 2011/12 (which I believe we have a viable case for getting deleted from our official club history) I think we will do much better. Not much in the way of signings so far, we have picked up an attacking midfielder I have heard of but know very little about in Brett Holman and a defensive midfielder I've never heard of and know nothing about in Karim El Ahmadi. Both from the Dutch Eredivise which is interesting as Villa generally dont buy players from overseas. Dunno how much Lambert (who I am excited about) had to do with either signing and it will be interesting how much money he has to spend and to see who else he brings in.

We dont have the swashbucking forward players of two or three years ago (Carew, Young, Milner, Downing) but we still have a squad who should be getting 50 points and a manager who should serve up some entertaining football. After spending a season as the least entertaining side in the country (possibly the world) Paul Lambert will have a lot of good will simply because he isnt Alex McLeish so he should have quite an easy time with the fans, who to be fair waiting until February/March of this year before really turning on McLeish. Before that people were just electing to vote with their wallets and stay away from Villa Park. Almost anything will be seen as progress under Lambert, but I think most of us are looking for nice football and a top half finish. Actually having Darren Bent for a full season would be nice too, see if he can get 20 goals.

I'm, in order of importance:

Sheffield Wednesday

Stocksbridge Park Steels

Arsenal

I think I'm in for a steady season with nothing to crow about. If none of them get relegated, I'll be quite happy.

I follow Hull City and we probably have the worst sponsor in the entire football league.

New-Hull-City-Kit-2013.jpg

We have a new manager in Steve Bruce and our young squad played some great stuff last season. Promotion would be amazing, playoffs would be good, top half of the table as a minimum.

I'm an Arsenal fan, although I keep an eye on the results of Nottingham Forest as the rest of my family support them.

I follow Hull City and we probably have the worst sponsor in the entire football league.

New-Hull-City-Kit-2013.jpg

We have a new manager in Steve Bruce and our young squad played some great stuff last season. Promotion would be amazing, playoffs would be good, top half of the table as a minimum.

To be fair Hull has more Cash Converters per square mile than any other city. I never understood why they had KC sponsoring them for so long, I mean no one outside of Hull can use them and us poor bastards living in the city have no choice but to use that useless company.

[cashconverters]

I see your Cash Converters and raise you a 'Happy Egg Company'. Count yourself lucky.

Here at Watford I have no idea what to expect. We've been taken over by the Udinese owners who have promptly sacked Sean Dyche (this hasn't gone down well - he's not exactly a superstar manager but he was decent for us as a player, knows the club inside out and exceeded expectations last year on a grand total of zero money) and Pozzo Senior is making noises about appointing Gianfranco Zola. This has also been met with uneasy murmuring, mostly due to his West Ham connections and peoples' memories stretching back to The Gianluca Vialli Experience of ten years ago.

Oh and our star striker (well, as close as we have to one) has just been sent to prison for 10 months.

No doubt it'll be interesting one way or the other.

A Liverpool fan here, and looking forward to probably the toughest start to a season I can remember. Still, a new manager, a new philosophy is exciting.

As for more general football hopes for the season ahead:

- I hope the nation gets behind Roy and the England team in the WC qualifiers - especially if positive changes are made to the squad but we perhaps have some iffy results;

- I hope we can get through the season with no clubs in any of the English leagues going to the wall;

- I'd like to the Team GB to do well in the Olympics (even if I personally don't care about it), just because of all the pain it has been to even get a team entered, and because I don't want the other national FAs just to go on about how it was a bad idea in the first place blah, blah, blah...

Anyway...FOOTBALL!

To be fair Hull has more Cash Converters per square mile than any other city. I never understood why they had KC sponsoring them for so long, I mean no one outside of Hull can use them and us poor bastards living in the city have no choice but to use that useless company.

I always thought KC sponsored City because the sponsorship generates some goodwill from the locals. Which goes to offsetting hate for their piss poor services.

Can we agree never to post the new kit again, please? It makes me sad.

It's therapeutic.

Surely this kit is even worse.

hull%20city%20tiger%20kit.jpg

This kit and the 'mauled by the Tigers' gesture will be black marks on City's history for a long time.

Another Liverpool supporter here, hoping we're less of a vilified laughing stock come May 2013. Excited by Rodgers' arrival though, and will be great to have Lucas back in the side after his injury.

Otherwise, can't wait to pick a new fantasy football team and then lose interest when mid-table in November.

I'm Arsenal. I used to support Aston Villa for around 13-14 years because I liked the colours (yeah, I know, but I was 13 or something and they were beating Man Utd in the Coca Cola Cup Final). Changed to Arsenal as I'm born and bred in Islington and I was unfortunately supporting Villa for the wrong reasons. I can at least say I went to one game, where they beat Fulham 3-1. Up in Brum, no less.

What year did I change to Arsenal? 2006.

When have Arsenal been trophyless since? :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

This kit and the 'mauled by the Tigers' gesture will black marks on City's history for a long time.

It's not a bad chant, but why did somebody think coupling it with the most effeminate 'dance' possible was a good idea?

Oh, and you fuckers are responsible for Sloop John B being used as the tune for every chant in every stadium in the country for the past three years too. :blah:

Plymouth Argyle season ticket holder (have been since 1986). First league game of the season is Aldershot Town at home on Saturday 18th August, first proper fixture is Portsmouth at home in the League Cup on Tuesday 14th August. Best players are centre backs Maxine Blanchard and Darren Purse and midfielder Luke Young. Local derbies this season are Exeter City and Torquay United. I am expecting the play-offs at least given that our budget for players should be much higher than all the other teams. We'll probably end up mid table though.

What you talking about? This is OUR year.

They would miss and hit the post

• Upvote 1

Can't wait, seems like an age away but the Charity Shields only like five weeks away now.

We've got the Terry court case to tide us over in the meantime haven't we?