Spelunky

Timmo

newer games need to tell you whats going on as there are more buttons and actions available to a character, take this, bombs, ropes, carrying, whips items etc - jet set willy had a jump button.

so i got thru 1-4 to the jungle and gave the tunnel dude a bomb but no shortcut, i still start at 1-1 every time, what gives ?

newer games need to tell you whats going on as there are more buttons and actions available to a character, take this, bombs, ropes, carrying, whips items etc - jet set willy had a jump button.

so i got thru 1-4 to the jungle and gave the tunnel dude a bomb but no shortcut, i still start at 1-1 every time, what gives ?

Just keep playing, he'll ask for more stuff to open up the shortcut. Spoilered what you'll need.

The second time you get there he wants a rope and the third time you'll need to have $10,000 on you.

shortcut opened thanks - I find that the softly softly approach really works for me in the mines, the jungle however has kicked my arse all over again so far.

agree the joy of discovering things for yourself is a highlight of gaming that is dying out, but it takes a special talent to make games that work like that (just cause 2 a recent example of a good sandbox to play with)

I've been playing the trial of this - it's surprisingly good, and really hard. Like, so hard that I played the trial for about an hour or so and didn't manage to finish it.

I'm not a big fan of the ghost, I will say. I like taking my time and exploring, and while I appreciate why it's there, I still don't like him.

Also, is there any way to find out what the items in the shops do before buying them?

I've been playing the trial of this - it's surprisingly good, and really hard. Like, so hard that I played the trial for about an hour or so and didn't manage to finish it.

I'm not a big fan of the ghost, I will say. I like taking my time and exploring, and while I appreciate why it's there, I still don't like him.

Also, is there any way to find out what the items in the shops do before buying them?

If the ghost weren't there then everyone would turtle, spending 20 minutes on each level and it would turn into a farming expedition. I play the same way but it's not the most exciting way and I'm kind of glad I can't do it. I don't want this to feel like Diablo 3 lol.

FINALLY unlocked the shortcut to the ice world. I had an idea to make it much, much easier:

When you get "The dead are restless" there will be a grave somewhere in the level with 'ASH' on that contains a shotgun when blown up. I just kept restarting until that was 2-1. Only took a couple of tries after all the toil before, messing with shopkeepers etc.

Got the first two parts of the next shortcut in no time, now for the infamous part...

Love this game.

Stupidly I hadn't tried picking up the mice. Hmmm - potentially useful info. One of the biggest changes that I'm not keen on from the original game should become a little less of an issue...

Are you talking bout the arrows now continue perfectly horizontally rather than petering out after flying a few blocks.

Are you talking bout the arrows now continue perfectly horizontally rather than petering out after flying a few blocks.

That's the one. They're properly vicious now, but dropping a mouse through them works. I'm still having to use the occasional rope to trigger them though, since I've not managed to dodge one yet if left untriggered. (And on PC if it looked like a sure hit you could use the trick where you equip a rope or bomb and then teeter on the edge until you dropped it, without actually using it.)

Gah! I finally managed to get the Indiana Jones idol without getting steamrollered. Unfortunately the shopkeeper did get steamrollered, so I got branded a terrorist. At the start of the next level the bastard jumped out of his shop and shotgunned me :(

Yeah, it can be a bit annoying trying to get the idol in the mines. I always check if the shopkeeper is somewhere below where the idol is before taking it.

It's weird that the idol sets off much less deadly traps in the later worlds (well, atleast in the jungle and ice world, haven't survived more than a minute in the temple yet :( )

Gah! I finally managed to get the Indiana Jones idol without getting steamrollered. Unfortunately the shopkeeper did get steamrollered, so I got branded a terrorist. At the start of the next level the bastard jumped out of his shop and shotgunned me :(

Yeah, it's best to have a look at what's on the levels below you before you take the idol. If the shopkeeper is above you, go for it. (I think you trigger the "terrorist" thing if it rolls into the shotgun-weilding guys trapped in the treasure rooms, too, so watch out for those, too.)

The easiest way to get the idol without being injured is just to throw a rope up a few tiles away.

Omg I just realised I've had spelunky confused in my head with another Indie game.. pixel art, platform shooter thing with multiple endings. Wtf is that game called?! I can't remember for the life of me.