rllmuk
Timmo

Spelunky

It's fantastic isn't it? The controls are utterly perfect (except maybe for getting off a ladder onto a ledge mid-way up the ladder - that may be me though) so you always know what you can and can't achieve. It's hugely compelling in a 'just one more go' kind of way, the presentation is fantastic, and the domino effect stuff is hilarious.

I've bounced off snakes into spikes, thrown a Damsel at a spider, causing the Damsel to land on some spikes, and been pinballed around resulting in me angering a shopkeeper and being shot for terrorism. When I die it's always because I made a mistake, and I either go "Nooooooo!" or "Hahahahahaha!". Or both.

Brilliant.

Predictably I want to be playing it now.

How far have people gotten so far? My best run is 3-3 (starting at 2-1). Score isn't a priority yet, I'm going for progress. Hope to have the World 3 shortcut opened by the end of tonight.

The ghost that appears at 2:30 into each stage is necessary and, after initially thinking would be a bad idea, shouldn't be seen on an average playthrough. When you start playing you should be focussing on getting to the exit, and only getting the gold and gems that are more or less on your way. Make an exception for crates and damsels, but generally go straight for the exit. I usually get between 40 seconds and 2 minutes for a level. I think when you're good enough to score run you'll be able to take most of a level's treasure and get out within 2:30 anyway.

It's awesome how after a while you get a strange sense of a level's layout after just a few seconds. They tend to... flow, and before you know it you're often getting to the exit painlessly, quickly making decisions on which directions are worth risking and when to turn around or use equipment. The difficulty in each level-type gradually changes from you cursing the game (how am I meant to deal with that?!) to cursing yourself (how did I not see that coming, I'm an idiot) as you play more and more.

Something I didn't know - Press Y when crouching near an edge to throw a rope down. Good for long drops.

As far as flaws go, I think the most annoying thing for me so far is how the shopkeepers get aggro'd by things that have nothing directly to do with you. Common is collecting a statue only for the boulder to do it. Worse is when an enemy does something to set him off.

The other thing that I still struggle with is the dark levels. I imagine they'll be the bane of any speed run anyone attempts as they really are so much trickier than normal levels. I think I need to start dropping the torch instead of throwing it around, but it's still an undertaking to finish any of these levels.

These are minor points though, this is a brilliant game.

Oh, and I'm playing this entirely with the analogue stick, with no problems. I'm yet to blame the controls for a death.

Played quite a bit of this local two player, it's really quite a good little game, I didn't think my mate would be that fussed but it all works very well and the little things like being able to hit and knock back your mate but not have him lose a heart is a nice touch and picking up your chum and lobbing him somewhere never gets old, whatever game it's in.

Also when they're a ghost and can blow treasure at you / trigger skulls/ break pots etc, all very cleverly done. Accidentally bombing the shop bloke is comedy gold as well. I'm not sure if I should ask this rather than try and figure it out but what do you about the blokes that are always blocked in with a few treasure chests? Trying to bomb your way through to him always seemed to end up with him shouting 'terrorist' and serving our asses on a plate of shotgun and bomb death...

Going straight into the co-op meant that we didn't realise you could run, or pick up anything (let alone the damsels) for about two hours as well, which made any progress very slow. I think we only ever managed to get to level 1-3 cos we would be dicking about trying to get treasure or (sometimes) inadvertantly getting each other killed.

Good fun and certainly a little bit Rick Dangerous.

I'm not sure if I should ask this rather than try and figure it out but what do you about the blokes that are always blocked in with a few treasure chests? Trying to bomb your way through to him always seemed to end up with him shouting 'terrorist' and serving our asses on a plate of shotgun and bomb death...

I got one by blowing a hole in the top and dropping a bomb in. I think there might have been a small slice of luck that he didn't find his way out in time, though.

If you do manage it, well, have fun with that :P

I also got to 3-3 and found

an alien mothership

One major difference between the versions, for me at least, is not being able to light a bomb while it's in your hands for risky, last second throwing.

If there's something i want to bomb halfway up a wall or on the ceiling i have to drop it at my feet, pick it up then quickly throw it, which has obviously ended badly on a couple of occasions.

On the plus side it does make Sticky Bombs more useful.

The Rick Dangerous comparison is a little off because 99% of everything in this you can see coming, or at least you can see coming once you are familiar with the game's mechanics. All traps are signposted and "fair", and all enemies are predictable.

Edit - there's definite similarities, I just hated Rick Dangerous and its trial and error gameplay. It was no better than Dragon's Lair. A memory test. Spelunky is so much more than that.

Hmm... I'm slightly falling into the "wish I'd played the demo first" camp. I bought it without realising how bastard hard it is - it really doesn't need that ghost adding to the mix.

I hate the shopkeeper! The stupid bearded slaphead prick! I found a camera that is supposedly worth $10000, went to his shop to try and sell it to him, but couldn't see how to. Then I pressed x to see if that would do anything, and it did. It took his picture. Whereupon he blew my fucking head off with his shotgun. :D

I think the Rick Dangerous comparison is more than a little apt because there are many things you don't know until they kill you the first time

the wooden totems with the spikes that pop out of the sides, for instance

. Obviously it's once bitten, twice shy, and you soon learn what to avoid, but it doesn't stop insta-deaths the first time you come across something unfamiliar.

There are also those occasions where you throw a rock at an enemy and it falls down a shaft and sets off some massive unseen chain of events resulting in the shopkeeper branding you a terrorist and waiting for you at the exit, usually when you didn't even know he was in the level. I think I'd prefer it if the shopkeeper only blamed you if he actually sees you cause the mischief.

Really addictive, "just one more go" stuff though.

Top tip: if you're going to steal one of those golden idols, have a scout around to see what's beneath you, first. If the rolling rock hits a shopkeeper, but doesn't kill him, your run could well end there. :P (I think it's generally bad news either way, though - if you see "Terrorist!" pop up, it usually indicates the next level will have shopkeepers out hunting for you.)

Sometimes you can smash all of the floor away from under the exit, too. If you have no ropes, you might not be able to reach it.

Just played the trial, felt like a fairly standard platformer to me. 1200 points is a lot for what it seems to be (from the trial). I guess it gets better later on to justify the high critical score.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is potentially a bit marmite as on paper, it's not got a lot to it - it's a sort of roguelike platformer - but it's ridiculously playable IMHO and really quite fun which is always welcome.

Different strokes for different folks and all that but I'd say that although different (due to it's roguelike nature) it's probably better than Limbo for example.

I haven't even made it past the first level yet and I feel like I've gotten more out of it than I did Limbo. I shat it when the ghost appeared, thinking how unlucky I must've been to run into such a fearsome foe on my first go. Imagine my horror when I realised he'd be turning up every single time if I didn't speed things up.

To anyone who has played the game co-op, do you know if there's a limit to the amount of times you can be revived via a coffin? Was playing the game with my flatmate last night and the first time I died he managed to get me back, but after we left World 1 it didn't work anymore...

Still waiting for my code from PlayXBLA. Stupid July 4th celebrations. If I download the demo, can I then unlock it using the code? And will I retain any pitiful progress that I might make in the meantime?

The game has "progress", but not in the usual way.

Firstly, there's high scores on the leaderboards. No idea if these transfer from the trial to the full game.

Every four levels you are met by tunnel man, who offers to work on a shortcut should you give him the item he is asking for. You must do this three times at each world end (different item each time) to open up the shortcut - this is permanent. He appears at three different depths, after 1-4, 2-4 and 3-4.

These shortcuts are perfect for working through to the end of the game for the first time and for practicing worlds.

It'll take a pretty long time to finish even using shortcuts, then once you're done you can have a go at getting a high score (collecting lots of treasure), a fast time or one of the last achievements which are very specific and tricky. All of these must be attempted from 1-1 without using shortcuts.

There is also some more content:

One achievement mentions going into and finishing an extra world, I don't know the conditions for entering, though.

Just had a look at the achievements for the first time. They look absolutely nightmarish, my god

I think I'll be happy if I manage even half of them. There's no way I'm going to try and beat the game in eight minutes.

Playing with my nephew today, he found a mouse and liked it so much that he wanted to take it with him. Carried it for ages and then dropped it over the ledge onto some spikes :lol: I was laughing my back off.

Stupidly I hadn't tried picking up the mice. Hmmm - potentially useful info. One of the biggest changes that I'm not keen on from the original game should become a little less of an issue...

I kinda bought this on impulse from all the rave reviews.

It's rather hard...and much like Fez, not sure I can devote time to.

The genius is there in both, but I don't see much variety yet, and difficulty feels more artificial and just 'be careful' rather then 'ah, now thats clever, I was beaten within good reason there.'.

But that's only a half hours romp through mines 1 to 4 (which I didn't get to finish, tears)

Tutorial didn't explain how to pick things up.

Shooting dead women in the face is weird.

edit: Come to think of it, please make both this and Fez portable, perfect pick up and play short while stuff. Turning a console on for? eh.

• Upvote 2

Hear hear that man, a Vita version would be an instant purchase for me. I'm making slow progress and have only reached the Tunnel Man twice but glad to read my next visit will open up a short cut, especially as both my arrivals in the second area have been met by death in seconds

Specifically set off to open the final shortcut last night, where you have to

carry the key from 1-3 all the way to the end of 3-4.

Managed it after about 6 attempts thanks to getting a cape from

a dracula in a "the dead are restless" level

that let me float down to the exits quicksmart.

I then promptly died within ten seconds on the next level.

I don't know what it is but the 'one more go' factor in this is bonkers.

I was playing it yesterday, finally unlocked my first short cut and got slaughtered left right and centre in the 2nd 'world' before realising I should go from the start to make sure I've got useful items by the time I get to world 2. I then spent an age getting killed on 1-1, then I got through to 1-4 again with 4 energy and about three useful items (which I won't mention for fear of spoilers) and had some sort of amazing stroke of misfortune whereby I got arrow'd, fell too far, hit by a caveman and then bounced onto some spikes. By all intents and purposes I should have turned it off with a cry of 'unfair!' and played something else but I just had a little chuckle and immediately restarted. Odd.

Just keep starting at 2-1, items won't help you learn the "feel" of a world, if that makes sense. I'm now pretty confident on all but the dark levels after finding the jungle a bit of a nightmare to begin with.

Most deaths at this point are to the totem poles, the spikey pricks.

Current mission is to procure a shotgun and get past world 2. Struggling to get hold of one, the shopkeepers are brutal!