rllmuk
Timmo

Spelunky

The ghost seems to arrive much quicker on this one, on PC it felt like it was after 5/10 minutes, which meant you rarely ever saw him.

Protip: Gold the ghost touched turned white and increased in value by something like 10x, so you used to be able to do some insane risk/reward stuff that would let you cheese the shortcuts, since the guy just wanted money before.

The ghost seems to arrive much quicker on this one, on PC it felt like it was after 5/10 minutes, which meant you rarely ever saw him.

Pretty sure it was only about two or three minutes, rarely spent even that long in a level though.

Protip: Gold the ghost touched turned white and increased in value by something like 10x, so you used to be able to do some insane risk/reward stuff that would let you cheese the shortcuts, since the guy just wanted money before.

Yeah, Tunnel Man seems a lot more demanding in this one. To open the short cut to the third world he wants:

A shotgun, and getting there is hard enough without having to find a shotgun on the way!

As for the ghost, it comes after two and a half minutes. It's essential, though, because otherwise you could crawl through the game in seven hours and beat it and collect every piece of gold in every level with barely any peril at all once you'd killed the enemies and disarmed what you can disarm. Instead you've got to take it slow but offset that with having to actually go quite quickly as well, so balance exploring with safety.

The whole game is perfectly designed to force you to take that one little risk too many.

I enjoyed the trial very much, but it crashes at the initial loading screen (with the ouroboros) every time, now, even after a few reinstallations. Unfortunately, I bought the full version before this started happening. Is anybody else having this problem?

As for the ghost, it comes after two and a half minutes. It's essential, though, because otherwise you could crawl through the game in seven hours and beat it and collect every piece of gold in every level with barely any peril at all once you'd killed the enemies and disarmed what you can disarm. Instead you've got to take it slow but offset that with having to actually go quite quickly as well, so balance exploring with safety.

The whole game is perfectly designed to force you to take that one little risk too many.

The ghost also stops you exploiting the craps house in the PC version, otherwise you could stay in there all day if your luck held, rinsing it for items. It works beautifully in this respect, because if you find a craps house early on you're torn between having as many goes as possible at hopefully winning a jetpack or a shotty, and having to get through the rest of the entire level with about 20 seconds to spare.

Jesus, this is so, so, so, so hard. It feels tougher to me than many of the other more notoriously difficult games of recent years - Trials, Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls. I'm finding it much harder than any of them.

I bought it, but can't really be arsed to play properly tonight. Did a few levels, died and got transported right to the start of the game. Is this normal? I'm guessing it is.

AAAGGHHHHHHH!!!

Faaantastic!

The quick look giant bomb did was great fun, and I feel like playing a game that's super punishing soon.

I bought it, but can't really be arsed to play properly tonight. Did a few levels, died and got transported right to the start of the game. Is this normal? I'm guessing it is.

AAAGGHHHHHHH!!!

Welcome to rogue likes!

Absolutely storming first hour!

32 deaths already but I'm loving it.

I've given tunnel guy two items and I'm loving the fact that each time I play I learn something. The first level feels easy now, 1-2 feels like I should be getting past easy enough, 1-3 similar, 1-4 trickier, 2-1 what the hell. I expect in time a shift will occur and all these levels will feel easy once the game has trained me.

Awesome how every level feels so organic despite being randomly generated. The set of rules he has in place seem perfect.

I'm guessing by the time I've opened up the second world I'll be more ready for it. Progression so far seems really well judged. Deaths feel like my fault and it's all I can ask.

Anyone got any tips for when it goes dark? Yet to finish one of those!

Oh and I unlocked the Mexican guy who is frankly incredible.

If it's similar to the PC version, on the dark levels, you'll always start by a crate of torches, you can split that so that you're left with maybe three individual lights. Then you just need to keep throwing them in the direction you're heading. I really want a 360 to play this. :( Completing the PC version was probably the biggest fuck yeah moment I've ever had from gaming.

Carry the flaming torch to the other unlit torches and the level gets ever so slightly brighter with each one. Go slowly and avoid water.

First dark level for me i walked off the starting ledge and landed in a man-eating plant.

Edit: hoot, you only get one light in this version so if you lob it somewhere you're fucked.

I unlocked some female character who kept jumping around and redirecting bombs, killing me in the process.

This is definitely one of those games where it's good to take a break if you feel you're hitting a wall. I was getting quite frustrated before, turned it off, and have now just reached the end of the mines twice in a row. I somehow got through the first part of the Jungle but it felt like a fluke, and then I quickly got killed on the second part.

With the dark level, it seemed like you only get one torch to me, but I might be wrong. You then need to carry it around and light up the other torches around the level to see where you're going. The difficult part is that attacking with the X button throws the torch, so if you lose it you're a bit buggered. It's also really easy to miss spiders on ceilings and stuff. The best thing seems to be to try to follow the natural level pattern on this one, if you have a tendency to bomb your own pathways then you'll quickly get yourself in trouble.

Any idea what determines his asking price, mate? For the first shortcut, he started out asking for a single rope or bomb, but now he usually wants 10,000 gold instead.

(Aye, I managed to get it working! It still crashes on start-up fairly regularly, though...)

Any idea what determines his asking price, mate? For the first shortcut, he started out asking for a single rope or bomb, but now he usually wants 10,000 gold instead.

(Aye, I managed to get it working! It still crashes on start-up fairly regularly, though...)

Seems like a set order. For the first unlock it's

Bomb, rope, 10,000 gold

Didn't have what he wanted on my first way through but he asked for the same the next time.

Ah, right, cheers! I'd better cough up, then. Been reluctant to pay him because of the big hit it deals to your overall score, heh.

I'm not caring about my score until I've unlocked all the worlds!

Assuming it's the same for everyone, he wants this stuff for shortcuts:

1 bomb, then 1 rope, then 10,000 treasure.

2 bombs, then 2 ropes, then a shotgun.

3 bombs, then 3 ropes, then the gold key.

Oh shit, Tunnel Man is properly trolling me now.

For the short cut to world four:

He wants me to bring him the gold key... FROM THE BLOODY MINES!

So I get this through four levels, and I'm on level 2-2 with 9 hearts, and it's going awesome. Then I mistime a jump out of some water to kill a boomerang guy, he hits me, and I bounce and bounce and bounce half way back across the level and I'm just about to stop when... I get impaled on some spikes :(

I think it was a step too far, buying this before checking out the trial. I get it, I absolutely get it. There's a hell of a lot to admire here, I'm just not sure if it's for me, especially at 1200 msp.

Having said that, I did play for ages tonight and will no-doubt get cracking on it tomorrow.

:mellow: