rllmuk
gospvg

Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 05:48, Stoppy2000 said:

Daniels is also not shy about turning up as C3PO in any old shite. Still he definitely made that character what it is so I'll forgive him. 

Including over the tannoy at Sainsbury. What a cunt. 

edit: Whoops, didn't realise that wasn't the most recent post. Still applies. 

14 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Extremely nerdy but some guy hat's an expert on medieval weapons and sword fighting has made videos picking apart some fight scenes from Star Wars

And don't even get me started on those X wings, swooping around space like Spitfires and making noises!

• Upvote 2

On 08/11/2019 at 14:20, Darren said:

And don't even get me started on those X wings, swooping around space like Spitfires and making noises!

Speaking of X-Wings and extremely nerdy critiques of Star Wars tech and tactics, this thread is glorious:

I like it so much I'm going to post the lot instead of just linking to a threadreaderapp version:

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, SeanR said:

BE5D8471-D185-4CB5-976B-EB795CED512E.thumb.jpeg.31175aac9d25d22f4f605bb430f225ff.jpeg

I actually can’t believe that scene is in a Star Wars film. I can’t imagine letting my son watch it. 

It’s so crass to imply chopping up a load of kids as a way to show how evil Darth Vader is. He’s nowhere near that evil in the OT!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember being at a rllmuk meet years ago talking about the upcoming Revenge of the Sith, and being hopeful when someone told me that the third film was rumoured to be extremely dark and had a scene where Anakin kills a load of children – i.e. hopeful that they were finally going to take the film in a grimmer, more “mature” direction, and that this might save the prequels.

I struggle to imagine why I would think that now, and why I would think that the problem with the prequels was that they weren’t dark enough, rather than the slightly more obvious problem that they were just extremely sketchily thought out, stiff films with zero character development and no real conflict. Imagine thinking that having a scene of child-murder would be the thing to turn them round, and that this would be what would unlock George Lucas’ creative powers.

I actually rewatched that scene not too long ago, in a Corridor Crew video where they made the Star Wars films R-rated, and it’s staggering how misjudged that scene is. Your perception of this sort of thing changes after you have kids, and I felt this immediate visceral response of horror and a bit of anger – horror at the implied murder of those very young children, and anger at the filmmakers for including such a crass, clumsy scene that used child murder in such a facile way. It adds absolutely nothing to your understanding of Anakin’s character, feels like such an inexplicably huge jump in terms of evilness, and just generally feels like something an edgy teenager would stick into a film script without really understanding the implications or the impact of the scene.

• Upvote 4

@K Also, the fact Disney / Lucasfilm have spent years making variations on the, "Some Jedi escaped the purge!" plot thread, would have been a doddle for them all to have been shipped off- world in a space-creche rather than sliced in half. 

• Upvote 1

They should do really, it makes a mockery of the later films and Vader's redemption. It's like the force ghosts of Mason Verger, Buffalo Bill and Francis Dolarhyde turning up at the end of Hannibal, and smiling benevolently at Clarice Starling while she watches Ray Liotta eat his dinner.

• Upvote 3