Official Star Wars Thread - May the force be with you

gospvg

I'm pretty sure the main reason that they killed off Han Solo was because that's what Harrison Ford wanted. He wanted Han to die at the end of Empire. He wanted Han to die at the end of Jedi. Lucas kept saying no. He jumped at the chance to kill off Han.

To be honest I liked the way they killed Han off. It was well acted by Ford and Adam Driver. It also had the requisite pointless, hugely dangerous bridge over a gaping chasm which has been a Star Wars trope since the original film.

Marcia Lucas seems to hate both the sequels and prequels so would fit in well on this forum!

Disney need to be using some of these planned TV series to set up a credible threat for Films set a few years after Rise of Skywalker.

I really hope they do, but it’s not even clear if they will even go back to numbered films. 

1 minute ago, Matt Defis said:

They won't be going post the "Skywalker saga" everything points to them going about 400 years before that, I'm still crossing my fingers for a Bane or Revan trilogy.

They absolutely 100% definitely will do another trilogy sooner or later with Daisy, John and Oscar (and hopefully Kelly) returning as older versions of their characters, but not necessarily as the stars, in much the same way as the three OT leads returned for the new films. I also suspect it won't take them thirty years to get around to it this time.

But they'll also 100% definitely do other stuff as well. It'll be interesting to see what they do end up doing, not least because they were obviously taken aback that their original film-per-year conveyor belt plan didn't churn out a bunch of universally loved and acclaimed films powering an "it prints money" machine.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

They absolutely 100% definitely will do another trilogy sooner or later with Daisy, John and Oscar (and hopefully Kelly) returning as older versions of their characters, but not necessarily as the stars, in much the same way as the three OT leads returned for the new films. I also suspect it won't take them thirty years to get around to it this time.

But they'll also 100% definitely do other stuff as well. It'll be interesting to see what they do end up doing, not least because they were obviously taken aback that their original film-per-year conveyor belt plan didn't churn out a bunch of universally loved and acclaimed films powering an "it prints money" machine.

I wouldn’t object to a Old Republic Trilogy, but I definitely don’t want to be waiting around a decade or so for a post RIse of Skywalker trilogy. 

in some ways Covid and cinemas been closed has worked out ok for Disney allowing them to regroup and hopefully come back with some coherent film plan 

No Sequel sequels until they’ve filled up the 30 years of non story between RotJ and TFA.

Thrawn’s back, young Luke’s back, Force cloning’s beginnings are in Mando and Bad Batch, Mount Tantiss is back, Ahsoka’s back and looking for Ezra and Thrawn.

Dudes, we’re getting an Heir to the Empire-esque Thrawn saga.

10 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I doubt Boyega will be back. I think he said something a while ago along the lines of not wanting anything to do with Star Wars going forwards.

If they can lure Harrison Ford back, they can get John Boyega.

2 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I'm not so sure, they gave him fuck all to do and he seems quite bitter.

He had about as much to do as Ford did in Return of the Jedi. He might be annoyed now - and fair enough, his character was very much sidelined in RoS - but give it ten years and a juicy returning role, and I reckon he'd be back.

From about 8 minutes in here. 

My generation of actors are not the same as the generation of actors that came before us who painted the whole experience to always be perfect. The same way your job ain’t perfect shit, mine ain’t. Just having that relationship and being able to express that to the fans has been something to me that has been a major deal in being a part of this. [If I came back] I’d be thinking about them, I’d be thinking about the fans, I’d be thinking about what they’d want to see. This time, I’m sorry I’d just be a bit more adamant about story. And I think everyone would, even Oscar, even Daisy. Everyone would kind of be like, if we’re coming back hopefully the story is worth coming back or maybe there are some new characters that we help and we visit.

On 23/09/2021 at 15:44, Matt Defis said:

They won't be going post the "Skywalker saga" everything points to them going about 400 years before that, I'm still crossing my fingers for a Bane or Revan trilogy.

Rogue Squadron is supposedly set after TROS but I guess everything is subject to change. They announced that film with the flashy Patty Jenkins teaser about five seconds before WW84 flopped hard.

My 3 year old son, like Malcolm Tucker, thinks all Star Wars is Lego. He saw a picture from the Phantom Menace and proclaimed “Lego!”.

Tried him on the Freemaker Adventures and he just said, “Don’t like it. Want the Rey one!”.

Good boy.

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The only character from the new trilogy I'd like to see return would be Rey. Not sure how they'd be able to craft a decent story for it to happen though. Maybe they'll just start making it without one. 

Kids love Rey, Kylo and BB8. Not sure many could name any others, although the whole cast do appear in Lego cartoons pretty often. So does Cara Dune, which is odd considering she’s persona non grata for all live action stuff. I guess Lego figures don’t post on Twitter.

On 24/09/2021 at 09:40, Mogster said:

I doubt Boyega will be back. I think he said something a while ago along the lines of not wanting anything to do with Star Wars going forwards.

Star Wars probably wants nothing to do with him going forwards. He was OK in Force Awakens but after that he was rank rotten.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is that the one where he's the comedy foil, stumbling around with liquid pouring out of pipes? Classic.

No it's the one where he learns that basing your entire life on protecting yourself and the people around you isn't what makes a hero and isn't what wins a resistance. He starts off having already cast aside his life as a storm trooper in The Force Awakens. The Last Jedi builds on this. We see Finn start as a complicated character that wants to do good but ultimately not at the expense of his friend Rey. There's still a selfishness there. So we see him decide to essentially try to fuck the entire resistance plan by running to warn Rey at the start of the movie. Over the course of the film he visits Canto Blight and sees the bad that the first order are doing and he grows as a character, leading to him casting aside the selfishness that was left and trying to make a big bold sacrifice at the end of the movie. But it's Rose, the character who called him selfish in the first place, that saves him and stops his sacrifice because she's changed too! The characters have grown! They learn that life's more complicated than a light side and a dark side and that also happens to feed in with the core point of the movie and remain true to the characters we met at the start! 

But he absolutely did have pipes with liquid in at one point so really good spot there.

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

No it's the one where he learns that basing your entire life on protecting yourself and the people around you isn't what makes a hero and isn't what wins a resistance. He starts off having already cast aside his life as a storm trooper in The Force Awakens. The Last Jedi builds on this. We see Finn start as a complicated character that wants to do good but ultimately not at the expense of his friend Rey. There's still a selfishness there. So we see him decide to essentially try to fuck the entire resistance plan by running to warn Rey at the start of the movie. Over the course of the film he visits Canto Blight and sees the bad that the first order are doing and he grows as a character, leading to him casting aside the selfishness that was left and trying to make a big bold sacrifice at the end of the movie. But it's Rose, the character who called him selfish in the first place, that saves him and stops his sacrifice because she's changed too! The characters have grown! They learn that life's more complicated than a light side and a dark side and that also happens to feed in with the core point of the movie and remain true to the characters we met at the start! 

But he absolutely did have pipes with liquid in at one point so really good spot there.

Thanks. I can only remember the comedy pipes bit. Oh, and the reveal that it’s not really a spaceship landing. It’s an iron! Those subversive bastards nearly had me there!